Slightly O/T but I'm looking to start a vegetable patch and need advice. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by kellymundy, 1 June 2008 Social URL.

1. kellymundy

kellymundy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Like I said I'm looking to start a vegetable patch, partly to cut down of food expenses (when I'm eating again that is!) and partly to give me something that needs physical exercise as a hobby when I'm done.
    The problem I have is that I'm a total novice with gardening, nevermind growing vegetables! Does anyone have any tips as to what someone who doesn't know what they're doing should attempt to grow to start with that's easy and rasiliant (sp) as I have a habit of trying to run before I can walk on everything?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. cah-ching

cah-ching Gold Member

Hi there,

Recently I've started taking more interest in gardening. My only real foray into the 'green fingered' world was to successfully grow tomatoes (which are REALLY easy).

What can I say except buy the seeds and a bag of compost and follow the advice given on the seed packet. It seems to have worked for me so far - my seedlings have come up a treat over the last 7 days.

4. spooky

spooky Banned

5. crazyjane

crazyjane Unzipping the fat suit

Start Weight:
    19st10lb
    Current Weight:
    19st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(1.81%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    beware, its addictive! we started out small last year and now I have 4 raised beds, 15 large terracotta pots and 4 troughs and I still want more! great quick growers to get started with are spinach, cut and come again lettuce, rocket and radishes - all of which can be grown in tubs if you have little space and will save you a fortune if you buy bags of salad. There is nothing quite as delicious or nutritious as picking your own baby leaf salad and eating it minutes after picking!

Good luck!

6. mommysue

mommysue Silver Member

Diet:
    cambridge
    i had a good crop of cucumbers last year . just grew em in pots .... they were like triffids

7. jillst

jillst Member

Start Weight:
    14st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(5.1%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    last year we grew, toms, cucumbers, peppers, chillis, runner beans and broad beans in pots on the patio, had a great crop of everything especially cherry toms in hanging basket!!!

8. kellymundy

kellymundy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks everyone these are all great ideas! Don't worry jane I can't go nuts with it to much, I've only got a small garden without digging up my lawn (can't dig it up, my 8 year old would freakout at me!lol). I have just about enough space for one raised bed (quite a large on though) and I'm looking at getting 1 or 2 of those strawberry teracotta (sp) pots.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.