Slimming world chips!

sarah2952

Well I can safely say... not worth all the effort! I followed the recipe to the BOOK! and they still were half mushy half burnt crappy things :mad:

I think I will stick to jacket potato next time :rolleyes:

ANyone else find them hard or is it just me the bad chef?!

Soooooooooo with you on that one!!

But I have to warn you everyone replied to me saying how great they were!!
x

Hi

i've found its trial and error with them. The best way ive found so far is to cut them into chip shapes and then put in microwave for a few minutes instead of par boiling them. This means they are dry when they go into the oven and crisp better. Also try and lay them out so they aren't squashed onto your baking tray as that can stop them going crispy.

xxx

I love them...Took me a while to perfect em though! I find maris piper or plain old baking potatoes work really well. I peel, place in cold water on the stove and when they start really boiling take them off the heat. Drain and put back on the stove in the pan to dry out a bit, shake so they dont stick or burn! Then spray with fry light and bung em in a really hot oven for 20-30mins. Lovely and crispy! lining the baking tray with baking paper or tin foil helps make then crisp up too. Also you can par-boil then freeze them on a flat tray, and bag them up when they are frozen so they dont all stick together! xx

Hey hun, kinda with you on that one. I also followed the recipe exactly 100% on more than one occasion till I thought blow this and got fed up with it. Then decided to do SW CHUNKS..... I just take the amount of spud I want, bung it in the microwave like you would a jacket spud, till its getting soft, but not soft... I then stick it in the halogen oven or any oven for that matter with pleanty of rock salt & spray oil, works a treat every time and cooks so much better. Ok so they dont look like chips, but they sure as hell taste like em.

i love them but it was trial and error. My OH gets them perfect every time but mine are pants... although they are better if I leave the skin on?! We have bought an actifry and tried them once but apparently I bought the wrong potatoes... they all look the same to me! lol x

I can't be bothered after failed attempts so I just suck it up and have 4 syns or a jacket spud instead lol

At first it's a little trial and error but once you find the way, you can get it perfect every time. I just bung a couple of baked potatoes in the micro for 8 mins, let them cool slightly and then cut them into wedges and into the oven with frylight and seasoning (salt, pepper, paprika) they go for 30 mins. Perfect every time.

i don't par boil or anything, just cut them into chips, no peeling, throw them in a bowl and coat with frylight and salt then put them on one of those bendy chip tray thingys and stick in the oven on 180 for 20 mins then blast them on full for the last few mins :)

I have only tried the chips and didn't like the fry light taste, I will have to try the wedge and seasoning idea to see if it's better... I did discover that a very hot oven helps to brown them... like others have said it's just trial and error I suppose!

I love them too, remember plenty of Frylight, a good shake half way through.
I boil mine till cooked mind.
I did roasted new potatoes for hubby Saturday. he couldn't get over how nice they were!

Baking Potatos

-Deffo use Baking potatoes
-Line tray with Greaseproof paper
-Spray a layer of Fry Light
-Place on Par Boiled and ruffed up chips, spaced evenly (if making lots use two trays)
-Spray a layer of fry light on top
-Sprinkle with salt, garlic salt, chilli, cayenne, season all, drizzle with Marmite.... the list is endless
-Stick the bad boys in at 220 degrees and turn

The Potato makes the different.

Also that new Fry Light for stir fry is great as pre-seasoned ... yum.

I managed first time after these exact instruction from my SW mate over a text... never used the book or website

Hope that helps, don't give up x

I think Lou might be right when she says the potato makes the difference. I've done these with maris piper and they were mushy and also with king edwards and they were gorgeous - exactly the same method both times !

I did some last night, part boiled for 10minutes (made sure all cut to roughly same size) sprayed a vented tray with fry light placed on the chips then sprayed again, baked in over for 20-25minutes, inbetween spray more fry light = gorgeous!!!!!! good luck for your next attempt =) x

I think the Bakers, or King Eddies are best as they are a more naturally firm potato so can withstand the Boil, ruffle, bake cycle where as the 'Chip' potatoes work better blanched and fried...
Just a theory..

I'm having them for my Friday night green day with Eggs and Ham... yum

I've tried SW chips a few times using baking potatoes and have had no success, like the idea of microwaving them instead of par boiling, with give it a go as I don't want to get fed up having jacket potatoes all the time.

Mousa said:
I've tried SW chips a few times using baking potatoes and have had no success, like the idea of microwaving them instead of par boiling, with give it a go as I don't want to get fed up having jacket potatoes all the time.

Try cooking wedges instead, don't peel a baker cut into 8 wedges spray liberally with frylight add flavouring if you wish and bake until brown

Back