Slimming World Diary of a Male

ChrisPoole

Majorly Motivated Mofo
I have been using this site for a little while now but it has never really crossed my mind to write down my day to day weight loss Journey. As a guy attending SW I am definitely the minority however I'd like to hope that more guys in the future would think about trying it out. So fingers crossed any that do will come across this thread and compare there experiences with my own.

I started using SW on the Thursday 21st February 2013. I was very nervous about going to my first SW meeting because I knew the chances were probably quite high that I'd be the only guy there. However I plucked up the courage to go and I remember my first thought as I walked into the meeting room. I thought to myself 'as I thought, not a guy in sight'. I lined up in the queue to pay my money really having no idea what to expect until my Consultant Rachel came up to me with a warm smile and said hello and asked me to follow her to a table for a newcomers presentation. This immediately put me at ease because I knew I was now on my way to being a member and starting my journey. I remember when Rachel went through the Extra Easy plan with me I kept thinking to myself that this all sounded too good to be true. It got me very excited because I realised that I could lose weight and also carry on eating many of the foods I loved. After the introduction I then rejoined everyone else and we went through the usual process of reading out each persons name and saying if they had lost or gained weight. I realised straight away that this would be a brilliant way of motivating me as I wouldn't want to turn up and look bad due to gaining weight. As the meeting concluded I was shown to the dreaded weighing scales to get my first weight reading, at this point I didn't know what to expect because I hadn't weighed myself in so long. I stepped on and was horrified to see that I weighed 18st 9lbs. By far the heaviest I had ever weighed!! The way I reacted that evening was far different to what I'd have expected though. Instead of being demoralised I actually felt extremely motivated and I knew that evening that I'd never be that heavy again for the rest of my life.

Week 1

My first week of slimming world was definitely a sharp learning curve, I didn't have great experience with cooking and I also was a bit unsure as to what I should be eating. However I pushed through and started to slowly learn recipes. I also started exercising most nights using a form of training called Tabata (I made a separate thread somewhere else explaining how to do it). All of this newly added exercise and cooking from fresh was a lot for my lifestyle to take in during the first week so I felt very fatigued and often tired however I had the determination of wanting to make a big impact on my first weigh in to spur me on. Thursday came along very quickly and before I knew it I was stood in front of the scales again ready to be weighed. This time I stepped on with the utmost confidence as I was feeling good about the amount of effort I had put in during the week. I weighed in at 18st 1lb which meant I had lost 8lbs in week 1. I was very happy and extremely motivated again for the next week.

Week 2

During week 2 I was feeling very good about myself as I had lost so much during week 1. I used the great feeling I got at the weigh in as a reminder of how I wanted to feel every week when I weighed in. I started off the week by going on a walk during my lunch hour and then by going to the gym to do some Cardio after work. This for me was the perfect way to begin the week as it really seemed like a good idea to start how I wanted to finish. Saturday night presented my first problem as I had arranged a night out with my friends. I was really worried it would counteract against the hard work I had put in on Friday so I got my friends together and suggested we played an 18 hole round of golf during the daytime. They all agreed which was brilliant because it meant I'd done 4 hours of walking and hitting a golf ball before I'd even touched a drop of Alcohol. I also decided to treat them all to a SW KFC Style Chicken meal in the evening before we went out in the hope that it would fill us all up and deter anyone from trying to get any fast food. It worked, everyone really enjoyed it and we were all stuffed! Then came the drinking... I stuck to Vodka and Sprite Zero as it seemed like one of the healthiest options I could go for. I ended up getting very drunk and going off track a little bit with a few shots however I managed to get through the night without eating any takeaway food and I limited how much I drank. I woke up on Sunday feeling slightly hungover so I decided to really push myself out of bed and go to the gym. For the first time ever I managed to drag myself to the gym with a hangover and I had a very good hard workout. This got rid of my hangover and I felt absolutely amazing because of it... this was a great sign that my lifestyle really was adapting. The rest of the week went very smoothly until Weds came along. Some of the guys from my work invited me over for a guys night of computer games and drinking, I managed to resist the drinking however whilst there I really strayed from the eating plan for the first time. I gave in to temptation and ate a medium cheese and tomato dominos pizza all to myself. It tasted SO good but the next day I felt extremely guilty on my way to weigh in. Thursday came and once again I stepped onto the scales, this time not knowing how well I'd done because of the drinking and the dominos pizza but I was pleasantly surprised to see I had lost another 4lbs.

Week 3

I began week 3 by promising myself to try harder to avoid any temptations like pizza and alcohol so on Friday I played Squash with a friend at lunch time and then went to the gym and really worked hard on my cardio after work. I felt absolutely amazing and was high so when my friend rang me asking if I felt like going out for some drinks I stupidly said yes. I got round his house where he had a bottle of vodka open and ready to go and we started drinking quite large amounts, I was absolutely starving because I'd worked so hard in the gym and also hadn't eaten that evening so I went out into town very worried about the possibility of eating some junk food takeaways. We went out and got extremely drunk and I ended up eating a large very greasy pepperoni pizza on my way home. I knew it was wrong as I shoveled each and every slice into my mouth without even tasting it properly but I carried on doing it. I woke up the next day feeling quite guilty for what I'd done the night before however I tried not to let it bother me. I found that I was starting to pick at things like chocolate and sweets more and more thinking it was ok however I knew this was a bad habit I needed to cut off. I managed to keep going to the gym and eating mainly to plan throughout the week until Thursday came around again and I can truly say as I stood before the scales I was extremely worried as to what the result would be. I honestly thought I had gained due to my negligence throughout the week. I stepped up onto the scaled and to my shock I had lost 5 1/2 lbs! The exercise was clearly my deciding factor and saved me from gaining that week.

Week 4

After getting away with so much slackness during week 3 I made the mistake of thinking I could probably get away with this again during week 4. I remember getting home from the Thursday weigh in feeling extremely good about myself because I had lost so much so I decided to treat myself by eating half of an easter egg I had purchased to give to someone else at a later date (shockingly bad I know). The problem with week 3 was that I had really gone off course at points and eaten badly on some occasions yet I had still lost 5 1/2lbs, this kind of made me feel like it would be ok to do it from then on. I woke up on Friday and was feeling a bit fatigued from all the exercise I had been doing the week before, therefor I decided not to go to the gym that evening and have a well deserved rest. What I didn't plan on was getting a huge urge to have a Dominoes pizza and then eating a large one all to myself. This was not a good start to the week for me! I woke up on Saturday feeling quite rested by not going to the gym however I'd planned on going to Nandos with a friend later on that day. I presumed this would be ok because I could have some nice chicken without skin on etc but in reality when I got there I ordered half a chicken with medium sauce on it along with fries and garlic bread. I ate it all and also put LOADS of ketchup on it. I felt extremely guilty after this however the guilt wasn't strong enough to make me go to the gym that evening. I found myself picking at chocolate and slacking with the strictness I had had weeks before and in my opinion it was all due to me losing so much the week before. I started swimming that week and from Mon - Weds I really did work hard in the gym however as Thursday came along I didn't know what to expect. I stood on the scales and I had lost a whopping 1lb. I didn't know how to react at first, part of me was happy I hadn't recorded a gain however the bulk of me learnt a very important lesson that very second. I learned that I HAVE to stick to plan and that I can't start getting lazy. This is the point during my weight loss Journey that I will always remember. This is the point in which everything changed for the better because I can tell you this, my motivation and drive sky rocketed and I am not more determined than ever to lose weight.

I will keep updating this as the weeks progress so if you enjoy reading it then please stay tuned!

Hi there, I really enjoyed reading your diary. I am going off track at the moment and feel rubbish about myself as it seems that most people are finding this really easy and stick to plan all the time. I haven't been on plan 100% for a few weeks although last week I lost 3lbs, I am a bit of serial weigher as I don't go to group I do the plan from home. This week I have weighed in a few times and I can feel the weight coming back on. I would be interested to know about the things you do at the gym as I have joined the gym and have been advised to do intense short bursts on the rowing machine and the bike with a fast paced walk on the tread mill. I pick up my actual gym workout tomorrow from the personal trainer. I'll stay tuned with your diary :)

Hi Nettie,

I have a few more days to catch up on and then the plan is to write down exactly what exercise I'm doing each day as well as food eaten etc. Hopefully that will help you out with what you need to know! Thank you very much for reading though, it's nice knowing I might be able to help someone and that someone else also might be able to help me if they see I'm doing something wrong.

It must be a lot harder weighing in from home, I am always jumping on the scales 2-3 times a day and the readings are always so different. The thing I like about SW is that I actually trust the scales lol.

Week 5

First of all, I can't believe I'm into week 5 already. The fact it's gone so quickly and smoothly is credit to SW because it shows that the lifestyle change is a progressive one and that it's very manageable.

Now I started this week with a lot of motivation due to only losing 1lb the week before (I was very lucky to still get a loss as it had been a very bad week of eating). I had booked Friday off from work in the hope that I could really kick the week off with a bang so I woke up nice and early on the Friday and had a protein shake for breakfast. I just wanted that little boost to help spur me into a great day. Lunchtime came along on the Friday and I made myself a Dairylea Light Cheese Triangle, Ham, Chive and Lettuce sandwich on wholemeal bread to give me the energy I needed for what was ahead (a hard gym session). After the talking to I had given myself the night before I really was in a driven state of mind and I knew that no matter what, I'd work very hard on the Friday in the gym to kick off my week. I got to the gym at about 12 and ended up doing 1 1/2hrs of solid cardio (tabata training) and then I had a 40 minute swim after that. I also went to the Spa straight after so I could go into the sauna and sweat out all of the rubbish that I had consumed into my body the week before. I ended up leaving the gym complex at 3:30 which meant I'd been there for a whole 3 1/2 hrs. I felt very good about myself and from my experience, starting the week in such a determined and driven way really is the best way to do so. Friday night came and I decided to stay in and be good. I ended up making home made smash pizza as I was really craving pizza and to my astonishment it was actually really good! I went to bed nice and early feeling extremely satisfied with how the day had gone.

The rest of the weekend went very similar to the Friday, I had to go to the Toby Carvery due to prior commitments but I stuck to eating only things I knew wouldn't be bad for me. Though admittedly I did have a yorkshire pudding and some gravy. It was lovely!! I ended up doing a lot of swimming over the weekend as I wanted to start focusing on different and varied workouts in the hope of shocking my body into burning more fat. (If anyone would like me to explain to you how this theory works then please PM me and I'll explain.)

Monday came so quickly as the weekend had flown by and I had my usual protein shake for breakfast and made myself the same sandwich I have everyday for lunch (the one mentioned above). I got in my car and made the 40 minute drive to my workplace and the whole way I listened to inspiring music and thought about how I was going to achieve my goals of losing a lot of weight this week. I arrived at work and worked up until 10ish at which point I stopped to have my usual snack break. I treated myself to a lovely orange. Then I carried on working up until 12. At this point me and another guy in my work trying to lose wait went for our usual 2 mile walk which is mainly up hill! I got back from that and then ate my long awaited sandwich. Even though it is basic I find that it's such a treat because I'm really earning my food. I carried on working until 4pm and then got back in my car for my 40 minute drive back home. I went straight to the gym and then had a 1 1/2 hr cardio workout followed by a very short 20 minute swim just to loosen off a bit. I then got home and had steak, chips and veg for my tea. This was a lovely way to end the day.

Tuesday was very much the same as Monday however instead of going to the gym after work I had a 1 1/2 session of squash with a friend. It was very intense and I sweated a lot but I burnt a lot of calories playing it! I got home and had a lovely SW fry up as I felt like I needed a nice meaty meal! It was lovely.

From this point onwards I'm going to post on a day to day basis so I can explain in detail exactly what I'm eating and exactly what type of exercise I'm doing. I look forward to posting todays antics later on!

Thank for reading.

Wednesday 27th March 2013

It's the day before weigh in and I'm still going strong for the week. Today in particular I've been taking it easy physically, as it's technically my "Rest Day". My biggest problem is I feel quite bad having a rest day even though I know how important they are for muscle rebuild. So I played Squash at lunch with a friend and then made the 45 minute drive home from work. It was very nice getting home with so much free time to prepare food and relax but I found myself getting quite bored. It seems that I've managed to convince my body and mind that exercise is not only good for me but a fun way to spend an evening. I guess big changes really are happening!! I'm really looking forward to the weigh in tomorrow as I've tried so hard this week to make a big impact.
So here it is... my daily going's on!Breakfast: Ham and Cheese Omelette.

10am Snack: Orange.

Lunchtime: Ham, Cheese, Chives & Salad Sandwich & Shape Fat Free Yoghurt.

3pm Snack: Banana & Orange.

Evening Meal: SW Chips, Beans & Chicken Breast w/ Paprika Spice on top.

Total Water Drunk: 3 Litres.

Daily Exercise: 1 hr 15 mins of playing Squash.

Thank you very much for reading and if there is anything you want to ask or know more of then please just let me know!!

Have a great day everyone.

Thursday 28th March 2013

Today was the big day I look forward to yet am equally nervous about every week... Weigh in day! Due to the amount of effort I've put in this week I went into the weigh in feeling very confident as I'd really stuck to plan and exercised a good amount. I always wonder whether or not I should exercise on the afternoon before a weigh in as I don't know if it would give some kind of false reading, so I decided that from now on I wouldn't exercise after 2pm. I stood in front of the scales very eager to get on and when I did I was very happy. I had made a loss of 5 1/2 lbs in week 5!! These are the kind of results I want to keep getting. I'm very proud that I've managed to get my 1.5 stone award and that in total so far I've lost 1st 7lbs in 5 weeks. This diet along with exercise really is working!!

So anyway, here is my daily routine.

Breakfast: 60g Protein Shake w/ 200ml Skimmed Milk (5 syns)

3pm Snack: Orange.

Evening Meal: Very Greasy Medium Pizza. (I decided to treat myself for having a good week. Roughly 25 syns)

Total Water Drunk: 3 Litres.

Daily Exercise: 1 hr walk on a very hilly route. (Today I decided to rest from the gym because it was weigh in day).

Thanks for reading todays issue of a life in the shoes of Chris Poole everyone. Here's too another very determined and successful week!

Hi Chris, well done on your weight loss! Fantastic!
How have you got on over the weekend? You are going to be my inspiration for exercise! I have read that people have gained weight or maintained for a few weeks when first taking up exercise but you don't seem to have that problem- is there any advise you would give me?
I suppose it would help if I told you my plan...
I aim to go to gym for 1 hours, 3 days a week (mon, wed, fri). I will be going at 5:30pm and cant go every night as otherwise I wouldn't see my children- they go to bed at 7pm. At the gym I do 15 minutes on the rowing machine, 15 minutes on the exercise bike, 10 minutes on the treadmill and 5-10 minutes on the cross trainer and then I do light weights on my legs and arms. I will be re-starting the couch to 5k programme and will do this at home on my treadmill on the days I don't go to the gym. I weigh in on Thursday mornings at home so would you recommend that I don't do a work out on the Wednesday evening? I could change my weigh in day so that's not a problem. Anyway I'm rambling on but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Nettie,

Thanks for your message of good support and I'm very priviledged to know I'll be helping inspire you to work hard and lose the weight.

As you can see I haven't updated my daily log in a while (that is due to a weekend away with friends) so I will get it all up to date at some point today.

Your exercise routine sounds really good, the only thing I'd suggest is that you try a certain workout I've been using since day 1, it's a form of high intensity interval training that you could do on the X-Trainer and the Bike. I'm going to copy a link to one of the very first threads I made on this forum that explains the whole process to you. Hopefully you will incorporate it into your training as it will both save you time AND accelerate your results. http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-off-topic/309905-weight-loss-exercising-ideas.html

Are you doing any kind of walk throughout the day? I have found that ever since I started going for a 30min-1hr walk a day (usually at lunchtime) that is has also really improved my results and helped me out a lot. This is something you can do at any pace or speed and it's often very enjoyable (if the British weather can hold up!). Give it a try and let me know what you think ;)

Fab diary Chris.Your doing really well. It's really inspiring to read a mans diary.

I absolutely love exercise mainly go to classes at the gym. I just need to stick to plan because lately I haven't and its really effecting my performance in classes. I also hate rest days I always end up eating rubbish and then feeling bad.

Look forward to your updates :)

Hi Chris, thanks for the link... will take a look. I don't do any walking at all and I couldn't do it during the day as I get a 30 minute lunch break but I have such a large workload that I tend to eat my lunch at my desk. Been to the gym tonight after work and my whole body is aching sooo much... that can only be a good thing though I guess. How you feeling for this weeks weigh in?

Thanks Kel, it's really nice to see that you are interested in what I have to write. I'll try to keep it as entertaining as possible! haha.

Nettie - You really should try to go out for even a 15 minute walk. Take it from me sitting at your desk and eating is never a good way to spend your lunch. Not just for the lack of exercise but it's also just healthy to feel like you've had a bit of fresh air and had a proper break from work. You'd be surprised at just how much more energy you'd have in the gym if you incorporated this.

Hello again everyone. Seeing as I have been a bit caught up with the goings on in my life over the last 4 days I haven't had a chance to keep this updated so I'm going to attempt to do it now. First of all let me start by saying in terms of sticking to plan and exercising it hasn't been a great weekend for me. Out of the last 4 days I have been out drinking with friends for 3 of them. Those 3 nights out where very fun and I don't regret them however what I do regret is that I had a medium/large pizza at the end of all those nights out. As well as a wetherspoons beef burger during the daytime of one of those days too.

But I didn't let this bad weekend deter me and although I felt the damage was unfixable I still went into Monday with a determined head and I decided I'd do my utmost to work off any weight I had gained over the past 3 to 4 days. I managed to purchase a heavy punch bag from Ebay so I put it up on the monday and had a very tough workout of high intensity. It only lasted about 10 minutes but I was absolutely exhausted afterwards. I felt this was not enough for the day so I decided to also go to the gym and do my usual 1.5hr cardio workout as well. In total I think I managed to burn about 1700 calories from all the hard work in the gym and at home.
On Tuesday I managed to get up nice and early to make the most of my last day off from work. I headed off to the gym and we had a competition to see who could burn the most calories throughout our workouts. It was actually a very fun thing to do and it also really motivated me to work really hard. I managed to finish the workout beating my friend and also burning about 1200 calories. Another very successful day in the gym.

Now it is Weds morning and I've weighed myself and I think I'm about even with what I was at weigh in on the previous Thursday so my aim now is to really work hard for the next 2 days in the hope of losing a couple of lbs before Thursday evening. It will not be easy however I am fully motivated and if I can achieve a 2 lb loss this Thursday I will feel like I have achieved alot. Next week is not going to be this wild for me.

Hi Chris, I don't think it's going to be the best week for anyone, after Easter! But it's over now, and it's looking good for the week ahead! I bet you're the envy of everyone in your group with those weight losses. It's great to hear from a man, not enough are brave enough to give Slimming World a go, yet it's the perfect weight loss plan for men who enjoy their grub!

Looks like you've got a great plan in place! Really pleased you are not feeling guilty about going out at the weekend - it has been a tough one for the majority of us so you're not alone.

Hope the next two days go well for you, but please do not be disappointed if you don't have a loss on Thursday. You've said yourself how off plan you've been in the last 4 days, and that you enjoyed it. That may result in a gain, regardless of what your home scales say, but it is only one week. You might however get that loss you are pushing yourself for, and if you do, well then that's a bonus after all of the treats you've had!

Good luck, will be interested to see how you get on :)

Thought I'd stop by as a weight loss diary from a male perspective could be an interesting read! Just read through and your losses have been great so far- well done you! It's great how you're combining it with the exercise too, and that will definitley be helping. I wouldn't worry too much about the last weekend- it's a long bank holiday weekend and I think you'll find a lot of people went way off track- myself included :D Good luck for your next weigh in!

Thank you very much to each of you that has been kind enough to respond. It's nice knowing I'm not the only one who went a bit off path over the weekend. Do any of you find that if you have a really good loss one week it almost makes you be a bit naughtier the week after because you feel like you've earned it? I think I need to stop doing this when I'm doing well because ultimately it's slowing me down.

My plan is still to try and make a loss this Thursday. One things for sure, I'll be very nervous leading up to the scales because it's going to be one of those weeks where you just don't know. All I can be certain of is the amount of hard work I'm putting into all the exercise I'm doing and if I keep that up then I am in with a fighting chance of making a small loss. I will not let a bad weekend beat me! haha.

Great positive attitude, its great that you go out, enjoy yourself and don't feel guilty about it.

So jealous of the cal burn lol

Thank you very much to each of you that has been kind enough to respond. It's nice knowing I'm not the only one who went a bit off path over the weekend. Do any of you find that if you have a really good loss one week it almost makes you be a bit naughtier the week after because you feel like you've earned it? I think I need to stop doing this when I'm doing well because ultimately it's slowing me down.

My plan is still to try and make a loss this Thursday. One things for sure, I'll be very nervous leading up to the scales because it's going to be one of those weeks where you just don't know. All I can be certain of is the amount of hard work I'm putting into all the exercise I'm doing and if I keep that up then I am in with a fighting chance of making a small loss. I will not let a bad weekend beat me! haha.

Definitely! It's a pain how we do that isn't it, if only re-programming your brain was easier :D I guess the thing to think is do you want to get the weight off quicker, or be hindered be treating yourself to X,Y and Z because you had a good loss!

Wednesday 3rd April 2013

On this particular day I really was feeling the strain of all the time I had spent in the gym and the added pressure of setting myself a target of achieving a loss after such a horrific long weekend however I went into work with my usual intention of having a 100% to plan day. I managed to drink a lot of water through the day and I even managed to have a good high intensity game of squash at lunch time with a work colleague. I've purchased a heart rate monitor that works out how many calories you burn from a session and it said I'd burnt roughly 1000 from about 45 mins of exercise. I was really happy with this and it sent me into the afternoon feeling very good!

I got home after work and really wasn't feeling well so I found I didn't eat a lot and I just spent most of the evening in bed feeling quite poorly. This probably did me some kind of favour with the weight loss to be honest because it meant I didn't have the energy or craving to go off plan.

So anyway, here is my daily routine.

Breakfast: 60g Protein Shake w/ 200ml Skimmed Milk (5 syns)

3pm Snack: Orange.

Evening Meal: SW Fry Up containing 5 Sausages, 4 Bacon Medallions, BBQ Beans and Mushrooms. (So tasty!!)

Total Water Drunk: 4 Litres.

Daily Exercise: 45 Minutes of high intensity Squash. A very fun way to burn calories!

Thanks for reading again everyone. Please look forward to my next input which will be for my weigh in day!!

Hoofin diary Chris & I have you to thank for introducing me to Tabata training .....its a killer lol!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins

Back