Slimming World Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm a Slimming World newbie. I went to my first group last Thursday and feel like I've done really well, though I'm petrified at the thought of not losing anything in my first week.. can't stop this anxiety.

I try to write my food as much as I can, but I wanted to start a diary on here maybe for any extra advice anyone can send my way and to meet new people along the same journey as me.

Tuesday 17th Jan
Breakfast

1 Apple and 1 Banana

Lunch
Slimming world recipe - all free
Dried noodles w/ broccoli cooked in a stock (w/ parsley, spring onions, mustard powder and chilli)
delicious and cooked a big batch for the week.

Dinner
Half bag prepared salad from Tesco (all free)
Muscle food Dragon fire hache steak (free)
Mushrooms and cherry tomatoes
Cooked with 5 sprays of Tesco Extra Virgin Olive Oil spray - 0.5 syns

Snacks and Drinks
4 cups of tea - 15ml of milk in each (60ml Semi skimmed HEA)
1 Hi-Fi Light bar (HEB)
1 Muller Light FF Greek Style Coconut and Vanilla (sugar free)

I had such a good day syn wise, I treated myself to a Cadbury's crème egg. No chocolate all week, so it was worth the 9syns. (9!!)

Always struggle with Wednesdays, it is hump day after all. Today was a particularly bad Wednesday - the anxiety of group tonight, personal life.. sometimes you just need a doughnut. Yes I caved to the doughnut..

Wednesday 18th Jan
Breakfast
1 Apple and 1 Banana

Lunch
Same as yesterday, slimming world noodles (all free)

Dinner
Roasted cauliflower and cherry tomatoes, with approx. 4 Tesco healthy living Cumberland sausages (1 syn each) with 5 sprays Tesco oil (0.5)
The sausages were cut into pieces so allowing for 4.

Snacks and Drinks
4 cups of tea - 15ml of milk each (HEA)
2 Hi-Fi Light bars (HEB)
2 milk tray chocolates (2.5 syns each)
1 Jam doughnut (approx 9.5 according to app but no Tesco ones on there)

Total Syns 19 - not good, but a bad day and have been good all week with the rest of the syns.
We did want to make Cauliflower pizza last night, from one of the recipe books, but we need a good food processor to be able to do that. Was looking forward to that!

Have weigh in tonight and I'm extremely nervous.

Well done for starting that's half the battle, I know weigh ins can be such a worry and the first one is so important to boost us along our Journey. Sometimes its not always about the scales and there's changes going on inside that are not only losses but aid them another day, id say never let the scales dictate totally to your mind set. The food Diary's are so good, no matter the weigh in, Its the only way to know if your winning inside :D.

and

Iv just learnt what hump day is thank you :D

Hi everyone - weigh in was ok and I've lost 1.5lbs this week. I know it's a start, I can't help feeling a little bit disappointed! My food diary was taken in but I feel like I already know what I should do to get more of a result - more speed, less pasta (at lunch!)
Thanks for all kind words though, really lovely to read this morning.

Thursday 19th Jan
Breakfast - Clementine, apple and a banana.
Lunch - Slimming world pasta (all free)
Dinner - Spag bol, made with muscle food extra lean mince (free) pasata, chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and 150 ml of white wine (split between OH and I that comes to approx. 4 syns rounded up I think - can't check as food diary was taken in!) with spaghetti.

That's two meals that had pasta in, so will definitely be cutting that down to one meal a day (if that - TMI but it doesn't really agree with me anyway!!) I wasn't able to stay at group last night due to things going on, but will definitely try to stay next week for a little boost/

I've started doing Charlotte Crosby's workout DVD (anyone tried it?) it really did kick my butt! Doing that at elast 3 times a week will help I think, also on the market for a cross trainer if anyone has any recommendations?

Iv just learnt what hump day is thank you :D

haha! You're very welcome. Wednesday's are really the worst!
Thank you for that, I know something must be changing and obviously i'm doing something right to lose anything at all, it just doesn't feel enough! :( I'm too impatient I think!

Looking at recipes for the next week lunch wise - going to attempt the bacon and mushroom crustless quiche and possibly a soup!
Does anybody know with soups, if you can still freeze them once you've put Quark in?

The crustless quiche is yummy! And so versatile as you can put whatever you have in the fridge in it :)

Can't advise on the soup as I don't use quark- I really don't like it! It does have a tendency to split so I doubt it would freeze well.
I just make soups with veggies and avoid the creamy ones- tbh I think I'd be disappointed with a diet version!!

1.5lb off is great! Don't be disheartened! Smaller losses are better for your body :)

1.5 is a nice loss, as long as it's not upwards it's a blessing, I said to my self a few years ago, even if I lost a lb a month that's 12lb less in a year, and always a lb less than I weighed the month before. I can be so impatient when I've been good but if the bodies not ready to give it up it's not going but it will, I don't like washing up but it's enevitable in the end :D:D:D

@freakydarkstuff thank you! I'll definitely be making the quiche today/tomorrow ready for lunches. Will look into soups without the creamy base, I'm sure there are lots!

@lookingforme haha that's true! I do just think I'm being impatient. I get married next year and just don't want to be this size when I do, I think it's half he problem.

@biglee thank you! :D

Friday 20th January
Today was kind of a bust, only kind of though. Had to pick my fiancés mum up from hospital but didn't know the time until she phoned so was on edge all day. He also forgot to get the food we were going to eat out of the freezer so we were naughty :oops:

Breakfast: banana and clementine
Lunch: left over spag Bol from night before (all free, wine already synned yesterday for whole portion) and I had it with a big bunch of kale instead of pasta. So yummy!
Dinner: ok.. we had an Indian takeaway:eek: I know I know. I had a chicken bhuna, plain rice and a Peshawari naan. I can only ever eat half so will have the rest today. Total syns was 33 for the takeaway.
Snacks and drinks: Starbucks skinny latte (4.5 syns - this will occur every Friday as I go with a colleague!)
1 hi-light bar (HEB) I finally got the mint ones from group. Lovely!!
1 tea (10ml semi skimmed milk HEA)

My syns were high today, but I've decided to take that total away from how many I'm allowed a week, and it works out that for the rest of the week I can have 10 syns a day (if that) and be at the right amount. Not too bad, and I'll just be on it for the rest of the week :DThanks everyone for your support. It's so lovely to read, honestly.

One cheat meal isn't going to ruin everything- especially as you are going to adjust syns accordingly. I know plenty of people who do weekly syns rather than daily so they can indulge on the weekend.

I'm a Starbucks person too... I tend to use my hexa for the milk- although SW say not to as you can't control the amount of milk. Might be worth asking your consultant if it's going to be a regular thing.

@freakydarkstuff weekends are definitely the hardest for me!
Oh yes I'll definitely ask her. I'm sure the books says 4.5 for a medium skinny latte - I never get anything different and I'm ok with using the syns. I take my Starbucks travel cup there and the coffee lasts hours! It's usually way to hot to drink even after an hour of being undone so i really make it last!

Rabbit pop over to my link. I'm chatting away to myself it's quiet funny makes me giggle but determined to keep going. It's a very long thread which I've kept for me mainly and it's been amazing motivation to read how I couldn't fight what I was up against in my past to keep fit and it helped me forgive myself. But the new start is only 5 days in so only about 7 posts. X
Weekends i use to bomb out all my hard work, so I started wieghing Mondays as Fridays good result Id say well that's OK I've lost. Then down cheesy chips Friday-Sat night in town :eek:

A good day yesterday I like to think, went on a little walking adventure (scraped my ankle along a thorn bush so didn't walk as much as I'd have liked too!).
Saturday 21st January
Breakfast: 2 slices wholemeal toast (HEB small loaf medium) with marmite and half a banana (bought them that day and they weren't ripe, which is saying something as I only eat them green!)
Lunch: left over Indian takeaway
Dinner: Slimming world pasta recipe, with broccoli, spring onions and cherry tomatoes. Made a sauce which was all free
Snacks and drinks: two cups of tea (HEA milk)
Hi fi light bar 3 syns
Two Oreo thins 3 syns (1.5 each)

Total syns today = 6
Did find it hard not to snack too much yesterday but managed to resist temptation. Today I plan on making food for the next week!

Last edited:
Rabbit I'm not sure how slimming world works but my snacks often are carrot batons, baby Tomatoes, cucumber slices.
Very healthy and harmless and once your taste buds are retrained it's what they ask for. X

Yes I love snacking on those sort of things, I bought them all when I went shopping yesterday. After my walk I was freezing cold so didn't want to snack on anything cold, so had nothing instead!
I try not to eat too much cucumber because I get addicted (that sounds so weird) when I was younger it's all I would eat. Cucumber sandwiches, mmm!

Back