Slimming World or gastric band?

Jengen

Morning,

I have joined and re-joined slimming world many times, probably once a year or every 18 months for the last 8 years! If I follow the plan it does work but I usually go off track and then leave again!

I'm 28 and my husband and I have been trying for a baby for almost 4 years now - I have been told I need to lose weight and I have small bursts of motivation but these don't last long! I have PCOS and have been told that losing weight would help but i still fail!

My husband mentioned going go the doctors and asking about a gastric band :$ I really didn't want to do anything like that - but after so many years of failed dieting I just don't know?

My appetite has always been huge and I love fast food and eating out and of course chocolate and cakes, sweets etc i am worried that if I did get it fitted I would make myself ill by eating too much and too fast and the wrong foods?
I'm worried about excess skin too?

Also if anyone has been through this process, was the doctor helpful and how long did it take from your first doctors appointment?

Any comments or advice would be gratefully received

Jengen :)

Hi there.
Ok first I apologise if this sounds harsh. No matter what your method of weightloss, you have to have willpower and want to do it. If you got a gastric band and continued to eat as you do now, the new stomach pouch will eventually stretch and you will regain whatever you lose to begin with.
Slimming world caters for the big appetite, and allows the treats in moderation. This is the key unless YOU want or are willing to limit the treats, you will not lose weight.
You have to best incentive in the world to do it, only you can make the decision as to what's more important.
Whatever you decide, good luck x

I completely agree! This is why I'm worried about considering gastric band but it is supposed to suppress your appetite and this is my problem and why I fail.
I can't stay away from fast food and when I go its not a small order my husband and I get but a ridiculous order that would feed a big family!

I'm not a doctor but how does gastric band work with being pregnant? If all you can eat is very tiny mouthfulls how is baby getting it's nutrition

That's one of the questions I need to ask the doctor before I even consider the wls.

It's not as simple as asking which I want more baby or burger - obv baby!! If it was I would have been slim 4 years ago. I feel down because I can't get pg and am obese and this makes me want to eat then after I feel even more down and the cycle continues - I wish it was that simple I'd prob be slim with a couple of kids now if it was :(

I think you need to maybe place something visual in the fridge like a dummy and one in the car too. That way each time you're tempted you see the dummy and think baby. If having a baby is what you truly want in life, then you WILL do this. I think it'd be an amazing story to write - perhaps start a diary on here and we can all cheer you on!

Good luck x

That's a great idea - there are a few of my nephews dummies lying around I can use :)

Hi Jengen,

I joined SW for the very same reason; I feel your pain. A gastric band is a risky operation; they may need you to lose weight for your own safety. I think rather than ask the doctor to be referred for a GB it would be more beneficial to ask for help to understand the reasons why you're making the choices that you are; you know this food isn't bringing you any joy and you know that it is damaging your health and chances of starting a family- talking it over with someone might help.

Best of luck turning things around - you can do it!

I have just got a doctors apt for later today so I will go and just see what they say! :)

How much do you need to loose?
Don't be down a dont listen to ppl who say just stop eating just chose baby or food. If it was this simple this app and forum wouldn't exist nor would sw or gastric bands.

However, the only person who can get to where you need to be is you. I found that the first 2-3 weeks were hardest, so I'd stay stick with sw and talk n battle through every meal n craving, cancel going out until your strong enough to not go crazy and when your body has detox sugar withdrawals gone ull find it much easier.
My first two weeks I went to bed early, and then it gets easier. Because sugar is addictive just like drugs are when your through that :) bingo

I need to lose over 10 stone about 12/13st I think to get down to a 'healthy' weight but is be happy at a size 14/16 so about 8/9st to lose :$
Not been weighed yet so just estimating from last time and the knowledge that I've put on weight too :$

Also factor that sw is not dangerous gastric bands and any surgery carries risks of complications and death albeit small.

8/9 st is very achievable look on the inspiration section and ull see just how far ppl have come.

I have just got a doctors apt for later today so I will go and just see what they say! :)

I joined in September last year and I weighed in at 22st 10lbs. I was shocked to see that on the scales and I swore that I'd never see that number again & I just went for it. I've had up weeks and down weeks but I prefer to look at it over a monthly period. I never think "ZOMG I have still got 7 stone to lose!" because that's too far away, but looking 7lbs into the future is much less daunting.

I get myself wee treats for hitting mini targets and I just love the excel spreadsheet in the sticky thread of the main SW forum. I stay for group as well - that really helps me. Losing weight is just part of it; you'll have more energy, your hair, skin & nails will be just great, you'll be able to go shopping in your old wardrobe, if and when you do have a wee baby you'll be in a much better position to run after it. When you think about it - it's a hugely exciting prospect!

Hope all goes well at the docs - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! x

Thank you :)

I am thinking I am going to go back to slimming world Monday class and give it another shot! I will still ask questions at doctors and see what is available for me and just talk it over!

I have a bike that I have not used yet (using weather as an excuse) but I'm moving to cleethorpes right on the coast for 10 weeks on Sunday and I'm taking it with me!

How much do you need to loose?
Don't be down a dont listen to ppl who say just stop eating just chose baby or food. If it was this simple this app and forum wouldn't exist nor would sw or gastric bands.

However, the only person who can get to where you need to be is you. I found that the first 2-3 weeks were hardest, so I'd stay stick with sw and talk n battle through every meal n craving, cancel going out until your strong enough to not go crazy and when your body has detox sugar withdrawals gone ull find it much easier.
My first two weeks I went to bed early, and then it gets easier. Because sugar is addictive just like drugs are when your through that :) bingo

I didnt say stop eating did I? I did also say my post would come across as harsh, you've said what I said in a more roundabout way! The only person who can get op to where she wants to be is her, its a choice that needs to be made. Whether that is counselling, gastric band or whatever it can't be done without willpower and in order to come to a conclusion, the decision has to be made between a baby and the fast food she loves.

Jengen I am sorry if my post came across as heartless but that wasn't my intention. As I explained above no matter how you do it, the choice has to be made. I just said it more black and white the first time.
Your first post seemed very much- "I want to lose weight but I love fast food too much and i dont want to give that up." You didn't mention emotional eating or anything like that and that's why I was a bit harsh as from your original post the choice was simple.

I am sorry to hear you are having these issues but at the end of the day if you make your choice and can't stick to it alone, it sound like there are other issues that need addressing first other than sw or gastric band. See your doctor and ask to be referred for counselling, perhaps hypnosis or something similar will be beneficial to you.
As I said before, whatever you choose, I wish you luck x

Your first post was fine I know it's my willpower that will determine I lose weight or not but your second post asking to decided which I want more a baby or a burger was not. It's not what is more important or what is wanted more that is the problem because if it was then I would have stayed away from unhealthy food a long time ago.
I am sure that food is like an addiction and my will power will be enough for the first part whether its a week or a few months but once I slip I keep falling and then find it difficult to get back on track.
Thanks for your post :)

I didnt say stop eating did I? I did also say my post would come across as harsh, you've said what I said in a more roundabout way! The only person who can get op to where she wants to be is her, its a choice that needs to be made. Whether that is counselling, gastric band or whatever it can't be done without willpower and in order to come to a conclusion, the decision has to be made between a baby and the fast food she loves.

Sorry Scarlett I hadn't even read your post I was meaning people in everyday life those that throw in odd comments and have no idea.
You are right life is a choice and only ppl who can make them is the person. :)

Jen- also on here ppl won't tell you what maybe your friends will say ppl are great on here with right support never do ppl say yeah carry on, don't worry your fine as you are, one won't hurt kind of thing. Yeah fry your chips it won't hurt this once. I know for me I'd sooner real honest advice than someone trying to tell me what they think I'd like to hear.

Back