Slimming world post op...

Roziee

Gold Member
Hi guys,

Just need some much needed pep talk, advise, just general goodness my way...

I had an op end of September which made me bed bound for about a month. Was in a horrible job which I am very grateful to be out of and started the new one 5 weeks after my op- so it was good timing as i finished the horrible job, had the op and had 5 weeks to rest before I started the new one.

New job is fine- no stress like my old one and slowly getting used to slowing down and not being as fast paced as I used to be.

I am still healing from my operation and have had some post op complications, but it's not bothered me so much.. Think I just take time to heal that's all. Have been tested for diabetes so I know it's not that so I think I just need to be patient and wait for the wound to heal slowly but surely..

After the op.. Probably when I started my new job I started to get really bad back pain in the morning.. I'd noticed that when I slept for longer than normal I would wake up to such bad pain but it would go after a little while.. I didn't think much of it as it didn't happen during the week.. But for the last 2 weeks its been really bad :(

I went to the doctors today and she said that because I was bed bound for some time, it looks like the muscles in my back have become weak so my back hurts... Starting physiotherapy this afternoon- couldn't go into work today the pain was that bad. Hate not going in, especially since it's a new job but I really couldn't go in.. Hoping physio will help.

Anyway- since the op I've been struggling a lot to get back in to sw.. I lost 3 stones (started in march) but then put 1/2 stone back on. Last time I checked I was 4lbs over my weight pre op but I'm really struggling now.

I started exercising last week and thought sod the eating plan- I just wanted to start the exercise, but could only do 3 days as my back was giving me grief but it's beginning to worry my now.

I have my husbands birthday next week and I have some days planned so sw wouldn't be on the menu for sure.. Feel as if I'm never going to get my 3 stone sticky again which is silly I know, but the niggling feeling isn't going.

I'm thinking of joining a group too but not sure whether that's going to make a difference. The one closest to me is at 7pm and I know the evenings is when I am at my heaviest.. I am weighing myself first thing in the mornings on Monday so not sure whether I should join the group or not.

Lol I've just realised this post doesn't make any sense does it? Lol there's no point to it.. But yeah, that's how I'm feeling at the moment and wanted to get it off my chest...

Makes perfect sense to me, and yes, your GP is correct about your back pain, you just need to strengthen those core muscles. As for the sleeping, maybe if your body is still healing, that's the reason? Maybe it's making you sleep so that you slow down and actually stop and rest.

As for SW, you know you can do it, because you've already lost 3 stone! Maybe if your mind isn't in the right place, take a break, go back again once Christmas and New Year are out of the way?

Claireybella said:
Makes perfect sense to me, and yes, your GP is correct about your back pain, you just need to strengthen those core muscles. As for the sleeping, maybe if your body is still healing, that's the reason? Maybe it's making you sleep so that you slow down and actually stop and rest.

As for SW, you know you can do it, because you've already lost 3 stone! Maybe if your mind isn't in the right place, take a break, go back again once Christmas and New Year are out of the way?

I'm glad it made sense..

Yeah was thinking of doing that. Have been in constant pain for 2 and half months now.. Couldn't concentrate on sw properly..

I think its amazing you didn't gain more when you were bed ridden hun. Stick at it, & try to walk alot - good for your back muscles, maybe do some pilates if you have time. Glad the new job is going well x

Don't worry about weighing in in the evenings either - as long as you weigh the same time each day your weight loss will be correct!

kingleds said:
I think its amazing you didn't gain more when you were bed ridden hun. Stick at it, & try to walk alot - good for your back muscles, maybe do some pilates if you have time. Glad the new job is going well x

Thanks.. I put on 9 lbs I think but lost some afterwards for 2 weeks then lost the plot!

PinkToaster said:
Don't worry about weighing in in the evenings either - as long as you weigh the same time each day your weight loss will be correct!

That's true toastie, didn't think of that..

It's strange because sw gives me alot of control now. Whereas before I would have thought that being on a healthy lifestyle plan would have made me feel as if I had none because of food constrictions..

You need to gently strengthen your core, sitting on an exercise ball can do this as you make tiny adjustments to stay upright and this strengthens your core, build up your time and after a week or two add in some Pilates or Yoga.
Chat to a PT at the gym for advice.

Rozieeee - be kind to yourself :) You have been through a lot of stress with the op, the pain, new job. You are bound to feel a little overwhelmed. You have lost before so will lose again. Just take things gently and try not to overthink it. It is only eating lovely food after all :D

You seem a little reticent - I hesitate to say negative, as that is not what I mean - pehaps a little scared even?

As with all these little trials and tribulations (after surgey they are all little) it is just a case of prioritising and setting goals. Mini-goals at first, targets later then as your back heals, your fitness improves, your exercise increases, the weightloss takes off and the feel-good factor increases.

Sounds easy, but it all starts with the smallest step.

Looking at your stats, I cannot see why you cannot go for a target of 100lb in 2012. Yes it is huge, but less than 2lb a week.

Lets see what the medics recommend first though;)

Steve

Hey Steve- scared of what? (dont worry, I wont take offense.. just curious to know what you're thinking)

You're right though, I have been very negative lately in my head and thats not like me. I have been in alot of pain over the last 3 months and its really brought me down. 2011 has been full of trials and tribulations and theres only a certain amount a person can take before they start off loading online ;-) lol

Physio has begun on my back so that should be better soon.. I called up the local sw consultant and will join in 2 weeks so things will pick up soon :)

Ok, and I don't mean to offend. In my experience, and please remember I am fairly new to SW and weightloss, but with people at work (failed Atkins dieters are a good example) people are scared of being successful! - that might sound absolutely mad, but sometime people "hide" behind their size.

I bet you are reluctant to take compliemnts when they inevitably start to come in. As my weight dropped off, I started getting loads of compliments. I was accutely embarrassed at first, then I went through the phase of thinking everyone was taking the pee! - eventually I learned to embrace them for what they were, - you could say I grew into my new size/shape.

Looking at your stats and the fact you need to lose 112lb looks like a never-ending tunnel. That's the fear, but it should be seen as a goal to look forward to, not something to fear.

Not sure if that made any sense, it did to me, but then again.......

I can't believe I posted before and after pics on the inspirational photos page. I now seek out the camera instead of hiding when people start taking pics. I no longer hate me or the camera;)

That wasn't always the case:)

Maximus said:
Ok, and I don't mean to offend. In my experience, and please remember I am fairly new to SW and weightloss, but with people at work (failed Atkins dieters are a good example) people are scared of being successful! - that might sound absolutely mad, but sometime people "hide" behind their size.

I bet you are reluctant to take compliemnts when they inevitably start to come in. As my weight dropped off, I started getting loads of compliments. I was accutely embarrassed at first, then I went through the phase of thinking everyone was taking the pee! - eventually I learned to embrace them for what they were, - you could say I grew into my new size/shape.

Looking at your stats and the fact you need to lose 112lb looks like a never-ending tunnel. That's the fear, but it should be seen as a goal to look forward to, not something to fear.

Not sure if that made any sense, it did to me, but then again.......

I can't believe I posted before and after pics on the inspirational photos page. I now seek out the camera instead of hiding when people start taking pics. I no longer hate me or the camera;)

That wasn't always the case:)

Lol I'm not reluctant to take compliments :) I wish more people had noticed I lost the 3 stones when I got to it hehe

The fear of the never ending tunnel, yes you're right :) but I don't always feel that way. Only when I really down.. Which, luckily for me isn't always.

Lol I'm not reluctant to take compliments :) I wish more people had noticed I lost the 3 stones when I got to it hehe

The fear of the never ending tunnel, yes you're right :) but I don't always feel that way. Only when I really down.. Which, luckily for me isn't always.
Well good for you! - a great start.......

So are you committing to 100llb off in 2012 then or what? ;):p

Just between you and me - nobody's interested or reading, honest:D

Maximus said:
Well good for you! - a great start.......

So are you committing to 100llb off in 2012 then or what? ;):p

Just between you and me - nobody's interested or reading, honest:D

Yes maximus!

Just need to sort my back out and I'll be exercising away!

100lbs in 2012... Now that's something to work towards right?!

Last edited:
Yes maximus!

Just need to sort my back out and I'll be exercising away!

100lbs in 2012... Now that's something to work towards right?!
Right!

I'll be your mentor! - I'm the (self-proclaimed) Simon Cowell of SW mentors* - I'm good at telling others what to do and bossing them;)

* loosely translated as liked by a few, disliked by many:p

Seriously, though. The weightloss will improve backpain and mobility, just don't overdo it. Besides, set any target you like, anything from 100% days, weekly loss, monthly, or just set a percentage, pounds, stones etc.

Word of warning though. Don't do kilograms! if/when the euro goes bust, all SW'ers who lost KG will become fat again;)

Maximus said:
Right!

I'll be your mentor! - I'm the (self-proclaimed) Simon Cowell of SW mentors* - I'm good at telling others what to do and bossing them;)

* loosely translated as liked by a few, disliked by many:p

Seriously, though. The weightloss will improve backpain and mobility, just don't overdo it. Besides, set any target you like, anything from 100% days, weekly loss, monthly, or just set a percentage, pounds, stones etc.

Word of warning though. Don't do kilograms! if/when the euro goes bust, all SW'ers who lost KG will become fat again;)

Loving that maximus!

I'm away for the next 2 weeks so how about you start mentoring me come 1st jan? :) I never have done kg.. Always lbs and stones for me!

Back