Slimming World - Urban Myths on foods and Syns

MisterQ

Hello everyone,

Having recently been caught out with an urban myth around SW foods, I thought it may be a good idea for us to collate all of the 'Chinese whispers' in one, helpful and easy to find, place.

So, what was my unwitting error?

I had heard in group that Wetherspoons deep-fry their jacket potatoes.

I have since been put straight - THIS IS UTTER NONSENSE!

So, over to you guys - what other mis-information do we need to set the record straight on?!

The one myth than annoys me is the common misconception that muscle weighs more than fat...it doesn't a lb of fat weighs exactly the same as a lb of muscle! However muscle weighs more than fat by volume, in other words a litre of muscle weighs more than a litre of fat in the same way that a litre of lead is heavier than a litre of water.

GedlingRed said:
The one myth than annoys me is the common misconception that muscle weighs more than fat...it doesn't a lb of fat weighs exactly the same as a lb of muscle! However muscle weighs more than fat by volume, in other words a litre of muscle weighs more than a litre of fat in the same way that a litre of lead is heavier than a litre of water.

And here is the proof !!

160933386654082592_NvIGFFZy_f.jpg

Someone quoted this on the Biggest Loser the other week, I thought Jillian Michaels was going to burst a blood vessel the way she ranted about this misconception

Someone quoted this on the Biggest Loser the other week, I thought Jillian Michaels was going to burst a blood vessel the way she ranted about this misconception

I saw that one. Her reaction was hilarious!

Thinking about it - I think the biggest misconception with SW is when people say 'It isn't working for me'. Yes, some people find it much, much more difficult than others, but if one sticks to the plan and doesn't kid themselves, then it DOES work.

The times I have put on weight, I have been absolutely honest in group and said "I got what I deserved"...I may have had a few business lunches, drinks receptions, parties, nights out with mates...but through it all, it was my choice to eat/drink the wrong things (or too much of them).

We all have bad meals, bad days and even bad weeks...but get back on plan and you'll get back dropping the weight.

Thinking about it - I think the biggest misconception with SW is when people say 'It isn't working for me'. Yes, some people find it much, much more difficult than others, but if one sticks to the plan and doesn't kid themselves, then it DOES work.

The times I have put on weight, I have been absolutely honest in group and said "I got what I deserved"...I may have had a few business lunches, drinks receptions, parties, nights out with mates...but through it all, it was my choice to eat/drink the wrong things (or too much of them).

We all have bad meals, bad days and even bad weeks...but get back on plan and you'll get back dropping the weight.

Too true :)

Its true in the bigger picture but there are the odd times when the scales don't reflect the week you have had that week but if you keep to plan or shake up the plan it ill show the next week or the week after that :)

It annoys me when people dont realise that people obviously mean for the same volume. Thats not meant to sound arsey but I hope that most people that say it know that a pound is a pound of anything

jen3 said:
It annoys me when people dont realise that people obviously mean for the same volume. Thats not meant to sound arsey but I hope that most people that say it know that a pound is a pound of anything

I agree, it gets my goat when people jump down others throats for wording it wrongly, none of us are perfect!

Back