Slimming World V Weight Watchers

Both of the diets work, it's just finding the method that works best for you. WW allows for a lot of flexibility in the way you use your points, however SW means you can enjoy 'free foods' without having to count anything other than sins, or worry about portion control.

They're both good diets, for me SW fits in better with my lifestyle, and whilst WW worked for me too, I just find it easier to follow SW.

Each to their own!!

I never fully get the 'people spend their WW points on rubbish' argument. Surely people would experiment with it, and realise it isn't good 'value for points' and so to maximise their satiety from their points bulk things out with vegetables etc which are 0 points?

SW all the way for me!!

hiya to u all:) I think I have tried every diet there is out there and honestly can say I have the knowledge to become the UKs next jillian michaels:)....I personally think the best diets out there for me are 'sw' and 'ww' purely because I need to have some sort of refined carbs in my diet. I know they always tell us that refined carbs are no good for us esp when dieting and that we should stay away from pasta/bread/rice and opt for meat, fish and nuts and grains instead ( which are all very good for us ) but I feel if I cant have a bowl cereal of my choice, a sandwich or bowl of pasta/rice I'le just crack up and end up being miserable and tired all day. Ive tried diets eliminating all refined carbs where i was focused on eating meat, eggs, nuts, fruits and veg all day and although I had great loss, i found I couldn't stick to this kind of regime for more than a week or two because I starting to miss my carbs. So for me sw and ww are def the best and both give fairly good weight loss of around 2 pounds.

There are definately pro's to both diets, it really is down to the individual person and what works best for them.

I have done weight watchers in the past and lost weight successfully all those times, I even became known as the human point calculator to my friends lol, as I could reel the point value of a lot of foods off the top of my head without having to look them up. There is a lot of point counting and weighing of foods, but you do get to know the point values of generic foods rather quickly, which takes some of that strain off, I also found weight came off a lot quicker with Weight watchers than it ever does with Slimming World for me. But that is probably because I was much younger in my weight watchers days and my PCOS probably not as bad, as I didn't get my diagnosis until the beginning of last year, when my symptoms were at their worst.

However the maintaining part of weight watchers is what is hard, counting points and weighing foods for life is not something I could do, and I always ended up regaining the weight lost. It is also alot easier to use points on unhealthy stuff, which I hold my hands up to doing many a time when on weight watchers (I am in no way saying that is what everyone who is on weight watchers does).

So back in July 2009, I decided to try something different and give SW a go and have to say I love it. I don't see it as a diet at all, it is a fab plan and is one that is easily managable for life. I see it as much easier to be able to maintain with too. I love cooking, so find the freedom of the free foods list a godsend. I wouldn't do any other plan now I know the SW one.

Hi :)
I'd defo recommend slimming world ! I've done weight watchers twice loosing around 2 stone each time but always fall off track and end up putting it all back on ! Seemed to be forever weighing out things and counting points !! In my own personal opinion from doing ww as well it seems to be more "targeted"'branded ready meals as well , already pointed up making that selection the easiest !!
Well me and my darling hubby started sw on 22nd jan I've lost 13lb my hubby 16lb , I admit a bit slower losses from when I did ww but feel so much better on sw, becomes more of a way of life than a diet :) still had "bad" days where Kfc was on the cards and still been out drinking ! But were happy with the losses :)
Hope this helps :)

Hi,
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the core plan when they are comparing SW with WW?:confused:I have been following SW for approx 3 months and in that time I've lost about half a stone!Which I think is pathetic.Yes sometimes I do go off plan - usually stay the same but mostly I stick to it 100% and still only lose 1/2 a pound!I tried WW years ago,did the points plan and hated it but recently heard about the core plan which seems very like SW but proper healthy eating and no measuring.It makes me laugh when they say you can eat big portions wothout measuring and no food is banned cos everything is synned instead and weighing out all the HEs and worrying what I've already used up does my head in frankly!So I've signed up to WW online thingy (with classes - 1st one on tuesday) and will be following the core plan.Hopefully this will be the diet that shifts a bit more weight,a bit more quickly!

I know WW were pushing the core plan a few years ago but then advised people to go back to points. I did core about 5 years ago and it is healthy but so restrictive! Apart from your weekly point allowance which didn't give you much, you were so limited. While the foods were healthy, the lack of bread, cheese, chocolate etc really got me down. I did it for 5 months and lost 3 stone and reached goal but was miserable - couldn't go out for a meal with people, couldn't have a drink. (i know there's points but not many at all) The lack of flexibility made it really difficult & I couldn't have stuck to it long term - eventually I put it all on and more. I've been doing SW since December and since Christmas have lost 6lb a month. Sure - I could lose quicker on WW core but I'm much happier! I've been out for countless meals & had takeaways all within my syns. I'm loving using healthy extras / syns to make meals more interesting and also that I can switch plans to suit my day.

The WeightWatchers Simply Filling (Core) plan has changed now, in line with the new ProPoints plan. Some bread products can now be eaten freely, such as crumpets. However, it is for the most part even more restrictive than before: only brown rice and pasta can be eaten freely, and there are various other rules which make it difficult to follow long-term. I loved the old WW Core plan and lost over a stone on it, but then they stopped offering support for it. I did try the new Simply Filling since ProPoints were introduced, but quickly got bored of the restricted free food list and switched to Slimming World.

I stopped going to WW six weeks ago, and there was only one plan, the new propoints, so where has this other plan come from?
The only things that were free were fruit and vegetables.

I have done both and am actually a lapsed Gold Member of WW but have to say I find SW WAY better.
I am a healthy eater but a very big eater and I think SW works best for that.
I had been having major trouble sticking within my points at WW.
Yet have almost lost all my excess weight now following SW from home.And am eating much more food.
It's amazing in my opinion.
I love the fact that there is always something you can eat on SW yet it still feels like you are on the plan.

As opposed to WW when I had a bad day I would think-'ah sure I have blown it now and may as well keep bingeing and start again tomorrow'. Or whenever.
It's hard to blow the SW plan.

I have not binged now in 2 months which is amazing for me.
Overall I also think SW encourages you to eat more healthily,certainly more so than the old WW points system.

Confused - Slimmin World vs Weight Watchers

Hi all, feel really frustrated as I never really had a great loss this week (0.5lb to be exact) and believe it or not, I was so good in the sense that I controlled my usual binges but have been told by my consultant that it's because I havent been eating enough, I normally have 2 alpen lights, some fruit (maybe one or 2 pieces) and a mullerlight and then a medium sized meal.

Do you think she's right?

That's all you eat?

I do agree it's not enough and that your body is probably holding onto all it can.

That said, at some point the weight will come off but it's most definitely not enough food for you.

Where are your syns and healthy extra A choice?

Beegee said:

Th other post was before I had been weighed and before I spoke to my consultant, I was asking an opinion on whether my friends comment about weight watchers was fair and most of the comments basically said that as long as I'm satisfied then this will be okay.

Obviously since then I have been weighed and been advised by my consultant that slimming world will not work for me on the amount of food I am eating and maybe I should try a calorie counting programme as this will more than like be better for me!

Sorry but I cannot believe any SW consultant will tell you that SW will not work for you!!! Why on earth would they do that?

Stick to plan, eat 3 meals a day, use your healthy extras and syns and the weight will come off.

Sorry but I cannot believe any SW consultant will tell you that SW will not work for you!!! Why on earth would they do that?

Stick to plan, eat 3 meals a day, use your healthy extras and syns and the weight will come off.

Dont be sorry, because that was my reaction. I was shocked when she said it.

She said that Slimming World will not work for everyone, and unless I am prepared to increase my food intake then I will find that I am fighting a never ending battle because my body will hold onto what I do eat and store it as fat as my body will go into fammine mode.

Obviously like everybody else on this forum, I am at SW to lose weight and if this is the advice a SW consultant is giving me, then I am concerened that I will not be sucessful.

Jaylou my C in 2009 told me I wasn't losing weight because "I was an exception" & SW wouldn't work for me....I thought that was crazy as I'd already lost 10lb but had hit a plateau for a couple of months. To this day I don't know why she said it to me.

Davey - Totally agree with Jaylou, eat according to PLAN & it will work. With me the weight comes of extremely slowly (!!!) but I stick with it. It may seem odd that you can eat a lot & lose weight but that's why people love SW so much. So eat & enjoy!

As a man you have a higher muscle mass, this means that men generally lose weight faster than women because lean muscle burns more calories.
However it needs calories to fuel the burn.
Also weight loss through diet means a significant muscle loss, this will slow the fat burn. So eat a bit more maybe a JP and beans for lunch, make time to exercise just walking is fine.
Dont compare the food intake to a womans as she doesn't have the muscle to feed as you do.
Follow the weekly plan online and see how you go x

Shirleen said:
As a man you have a higher muscle mass, this means that men generally lose weight faster than women because lean muscle burns more calories.
However it needs calories to fuel the burn.
Also weight loss through diet means a significant muscle loss, this will slow the fat burn. So eat a bit more maybe a JP and beans for lunch, make time to exercise just walking is fine.
Dont compare the food intake to a womans as she doesn't have the muscle to feed as you do.
Follow the weekly plan online and see how you go x

Thank you so much for your response that has really cleared things up for me. I wish my Consultant had said the same to me.

xxx

Back