Slinks back in with tail between legs

Hi Donna

So lovely to see you - all the old gang are coming out of the woodwork at the moment ... must be something in the air!!!

Seeing this happening, is serving as a reminder to us all - you can't just end the diet and be "sorted".....the work looks as if it will have to continue long after the RTM ends.

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering Laura if you and the others that have found themselves now revisiting LL, did you complete RTM?

I think you are all very brave to be going back in to abstinence again. I don't know if I could! And this all does make me a wee bit nervous and sit up and take notice....so thanks for sharing what you are/have been going through! :)

All the best luck to you on your "refresher"! :)

Hi BL
In answer to your question about RTM... Yes and No. I did officially complete RTM but for the last few weeks of it I was teaching the classes rather than taking part in them. I think this may, in part, have contributed to the issues I am now having as I didn't really give myself time to fully concentrate on RTM from week 6 or 7 onwards as I was so wrapped up in the Locum training and my second job at LL.
Also, I had MAJOR issues with food prior to starting LL and although I have beaten most of my demons - some of them are still lurking and causing me trouble. That is why I am giving myself this time now to really work on it and finish what I started once and for all.
I really don't mean to dishearten you (and I am sure non of the "old gang" would want that either) - when it comes to maintaining your weight loss everyone is different - some people require more than one shot at it before they "get it" others walk out of my office on the last day of RTM and seem to take to their new lifestyle like ducks to water..... (Green with jealousy). I hope you are one of the lucky ones BL - but if not, try, try again and it WILL click into place - it just takes time, effort and perseverence.
Can I also just take this opportunity to congratulate you on how fantastically well you are doing. Not only that, but I have only been back on these boards for a few days - but already I can see that you are a rock of support to everyone and much loved. Its lovely to have you here.
Have a great day
Laura

Daily update - Day 2.

I have survived the dreaded Day 2 (always the worst day for me) despite my evil OH eating Organic steak burgers freshly bought from the local farmers market for dinner - followed by a whole bag of homemade cinnamon glazed cashew nuts......... DROOOL.

But I went to bed feeling good about myself (first time in ages to be honest ) and woke up feeling like I deserved to be at least a stone lighter for that monumental display of willpower... Sadly it hadn't happened. I haven't stood on the scales yet so don't know if I have started to lose any yet - but I did a stick this morning and I am definitely in the pink!!!

So other than having a scary interview this afternoon - I am feeling really good..... and really empty!! I had forgotten how strange that feels at first!!

Roll on weigh in day !
Hope you all have a great day
Laura

Ah, boy is it good to see some familiar faces! I too have been away from here for a while and I have put on some of the weight I lost on LL. An awful lot of what you say Laura rings true with me and although I am not back in abstinace, yet, I think I understand that I perhaps need to get my head in gear and do it again for a while to revisit my relationship to food which is pretty dire at the moment. Anything that is easy to cram into my mouth has been the order of the day lately and I need to sort that out.
Good to be back too.
lots of luv
Swbt

Hi swbt

Lovely to hear from you again - I feel your pain with the "whatever is easiest to cram in" comment. I had become really lazy and complacent in the past few months and I think that is when everything started to go really wrong for me.

Interestingly I was talking to a lady in one of my groups over the weekend who is VERY focussed (at the end of RTM) and just talking through her menu's and the healthier snacks she was preparing to have with her at work... I was drooling. Everything she mentioned sounded healthy and delicious compared to the convenient rubbish I had been shovelling in - strange eh?

Still doing some serious head work on why I had reverted to be self-destructive ways and I think I am beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.... Lets hope it continues.

Good luck swbt with whatever you decide to do - the only advice I can give you is to have a long hard think about what you are doing before you go back into abstinence - I see so many of my clients jump back on the foodpack wagon simply because they feel they "should" - and these are the people that struggle. Those of us who "choose" to do it for personal reasons tend to have less of a rough ride.

Just back from my interview and waiting for my mobile to ring to say whether I was successful or not...... nervous tummy is an understatement I can tell you.

Love Laura

Laura hope you get good news from the interview :)

Thanks Laure for your nice comments :)

I am not feeling disheartened, just "aware" of the hard work that lies ahead.

I can see how teaching the RTM would detract you from absorbing it for yourself - thats a shame that happened, but you are right back on it and thats brill..

I have felt all along that RTM is going to be the most important part of this process. This part is easy - keeping it off is going to be hard!! I am sure you will nail it this time.

Demons are a bugger, and I am glad you chased most of yours away - just knock the last few on the head and you are on your way!

Wishing you all the best!!!! :)

xx

Hi hunnie,

How easy it is to gain weight, all that I learnt in the LL counselling was great, where I feel it fails is maintenance.

For me I followed it through to the end of week 12, my only deviation was that I had a drink before the 5th week, but it made no difference in weight gain.

All was hunky dory, I found that eating healthy and adding some treats (daily) was not adding any pounds, I thought huh!, this is brilliant, this was for 5 months, I got COMPLACENT, and then I noticed a couple of pound weight gain, but hey, I said to myself everybodys body can fluctuate daily, so I ignored it, it crept up to 5lbs, now, I said to myself that I would allow a maximum of 5lb leeway, so I was still happy.

Then came my 5 week holiday, I was really good for nearly 3 weeks of it and actually managed to lose 4lbs, I became complacent again, friends arrived for the last part of our holiday and I just forgot and enjoyed it. I came home to find I'd put back the lbs loss and also added another 6!!, this sent me mentally down, and what did I do, comfort ate!, so OK when I finally got back on the scales, I was a stone over, I gave myself a kick up the ass and then abstained for 6 days, It was sooooo hard second time around, I literally felt sick and dizzy, I did lose 6lbs which gave me a kickstart.

But for me, I've now started WW, I havent joined back, but still got books etc, from the past and I frequently enjoy the ww thread here on mins.

Its brilliant, I am so enjoying being able to eat again and I actually look forward to working out my points for the day. For me this is defintely the way forward.

So hun, Good luck on your 2nd journey, I will eagerly read your daily diaryto see how you get on.

Good to see you back.

Take heed maintainers, do not get COMPLACEMENT.

Your body will take so much of the old crappy food before it starts to creep back on, and IT WILL if you dont address the situation straight away.

Sun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Sun

Its lovely to see you too. To be fair I think a 5 weeks holiday would test anyone's resolve (can I come next time - I need a holiday soooo badly!)

I am glad you are managing your weight happily with WW - (jealous) I have reached a point where I need the black and white structure of abstinence to get me back on track - added to the fact that my fall from grace was significantly larger than yours (whoooops!).

Happy to report though that the weight is coming off at a great rate and I have managed to lose 7.7lbs already (YAY) - the upside of being a LL Locum is that I get access to the fab scales so I can "officially" weigh in with confidence - rather than my rather temperamental scales at home!
So needless to say I am feeling very pleased and a lot less bloated. I know that the weight lost so far is mainly glycogen but I can still feel the difference after even a couple of days.

You are so right Sun - complacency is a great friend of the demon weight gain. You really cannot take your eye off the ball for very long (if at all). It used to depress me thinking that way and hence I would jealously sit in the corner and grumble to myself about how "every other thin person doesn't have to work as hard as I do to stay thin!" - but I have since realised that 1. I should never EVER compare myself to others - it sets off crooked thinking immediately and 2. Every person I speak to (except a lucky few who I want to kick in the shin) - do work in some way or other to keep their figure - I just may not necessarily see it.

but most importantly I have learned that being slim and feeling great IS worth every once of energy that it requires. I love feeling slinky and shopping for lovely things far, far more than I like cream cakes. It just took a while for that particular lightbulb to go on. 358 days ago I went to my first LL meeting weighing a staggering 21 1/2 stone - I never want to feel that desperate again.

Remember ladies... if you always do what you always did... you will always get what you always got.

My new mantra.

Good luck with WW Sun and keep in touch (I missed ya!)
Love Laura

Hi Sun,

Thank you so much for that post. It is the one thing that is scaring the daylights out of me. How to keep it off. As CC said I never ever want to feel as desperate as I did in December and January when I stopped deluding myself and saw me for what I was.
I was also thinking that WW would be an idea to maintain. I am also watching every thin person I know to see how they manage. Sometimes frustrating when you see them scoffing bacon sarnies for breakfast huge sandwiches for lunch, but then when you speak to them you find out that they either go to the gym or go running 4 - 5 times a week.

Thank you again we all need to heed your warning.
Our LLC actually told us to get into the habit of weighing ourselves every day as we get closer to Rtm. Its something I do anyway and it is already a habit, can't start my day if I do not know what I weigh.

congratulations to you Tange, you have done sensationally well, and the last hurdle is the most noticeable as in your shrinking size!

I tried to explain in my previous post how good the cbt counselling is, BUT there is nothing to prepare you for the big wide world of eating again, the paranoia that sets in as you get closer to starting managment, we all have been used to seeing a loss on the scales each week, and then you start to eat and freak if the scales move in the wrong direction.

sun x

Hello CC (Laura) and Sun and Everyone Else

I hadn't seen this thread (which I now realise prompted AJ's post) so I just wanted to say well done for finishing what you started.

Sun - I so relate to your post-LL experience. Thank you for posting.

Laura - I have so many questions! One (or two...or three!) things I would like to ask you - based on your experience as a LL locum - why do you think people struggle so much after RtM? And do you know how many people do RtM and then jump ship, thinking they are done?

And in your experience, if people to RtM to the letter, do they have better success?

Do you remember Just Do It? I would love to know how she is. I was worried that felt one slip up meant the end. But it isn't, is it? Just Do It - if you're still popping in from time to time, please say hello.

Anyway, this is meant to be a thank you for posting, a massive cheering you on from the sides and I'll keep reading.

Big kiss.

Mrs Lard xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Laura - I have so many questions! One (or two...or three!) things I would like to ask you - based on your experience as a LL locum - why do you think people struggle so much after RtM? And do you know how many people do RtM and then jump ship, thinking they are done?

And in your experience, if people to RtM to the letter, do they have better success?

I just typed the most massive reply to your post and lost it ... is there anything more annoying in this world???? grrrrr! I really must remember to copy my post to the clipboard before I attempt to post in future.

Ok I will try to remember what I wrote (although it is very early in the morning for my poor remaining brain cell!)

There are various reasons for why people struggle after RTM. But I think I have managed to whittle it down to my top 3 most common reasons:

1. Not using the CBT/TA and especially thought records
2. Not taking responsibility and allowing support networks to crumble
3. Mentally adjusting to new lifestyle

1. I see so many clients who tell me that they haven't ever tried to do a thought record. They covered it in foundation and understood it - but never tried to actually do one. OR same as above but when the time came to try to do one, and it really mattered, it didn't seem to have much impact so they wrote it off as usless.
I can't stress enough how getting thought records down to a fine art will save your ass time and time again. The problem is that is does take practice to get them right. If you can't identify your "true" hot thought then you will not get to the bottom of what is bothering you. IF you are doing a thought record correctly then identifying the hot thought should make you feel uncomfortable as you should be digging around where your emotions and feelings are most raw or unpleasant. The first thought that jumps into your head is NEVER the real reason you are feeling tempted/sad/lonely/bored etc etc etc. Practice makes perfect and the more you do them the more triggers to eating you can identify and work on to stop them bothering you again in future.

2. How many times have I heard clients (and myself) saying "Its just NOT FAIR!" - I was truly alarmed when I realised how much of my life I spent in a jealous, nasty child state of mind. Grumbling to myself about how everyone's life was so much easier than mine etc etc etc. Where did that get me???? Absolutely nowhere, it just wasted time I could have been using to make my life better.

You need to be able to REALLY take responsibility for your own weight. This is the absolute crux to maintainence. No matter what has happened in your week, everything you put in your mouth was your own responsibility. Like it or not that is the truth of it. When I say this to people they look at me like I am cruel. But I am really trying to help them. Life happens whether you are on a diet or not, whether you are maintaining a huge weight loss or not, people you care about get sick and die, kids get in trouble at school, your car breaks down outside McDonalds etc etc etc. Life gets in the way. I am not saying that you should all be soldiers of will power and self restraint and never, ever turn to food in a crisis again (that would be totally unrealistic) but - when it comes to evaulating "why" (which you should always be doing) you have a gain or have lapsed completely.... then the answer should always come from your adult - the only response is "I chose to". NOT that "well my dog ate all my foodpacks and I didn't have the car so I couldn't get into the office to get any - so I HAD TO have a pizza".
If you don't take responsibility for your own actions in EVERY situation then the big bad world is not going to be nice to you forever, something will come up and give you the perfect "excuse" to break out and eat eat eat.

3. It takes TIME to adjust to your new lifestyle. And you will have to accept that your lifestyle is going to be significantly different than it was pre-LL. If you always do what you always did - you will always get what you always got. Portion sizes are a classic example of this. You finish RTM and you are watching what you are eating like a hawk, but as time goes on, they start to creep up and up and up until you are eating similar mountains of rice and potatoes that you were before. This is not just greediness, it is because you haven't accepted the most basic truth of the programme (and it is not as simple as it sounds) you don't need very much food to keep the new smaller version of yourself ticking over.
I liken it to cars, If you have a big ass land rover and you fill it up at a petrol station it will cost approx £55 and take you about 300 miles before it runs out of fuel and needs filling up again.
If you then part-ex your land rover for a mini - that same 300 miles will only need 1/2 that petrol and cost you 1/2 as much at the petrol station.

Sounds so easy doesn't it - but until you accept that as a core belief and stop feeling deprived that you can't eat the way you did before without putting weight on - then you will either struggle, feeling resentment at every corner, or you will lapse.

I think my first post was better but I hope that all makes sense to you.
Right better go and do some work for a living
Hope you all have a great day
Kisses
Laura

Laura

Thank you so much for that. I have just printed it and it will go in my wallet to read over and over again. And those thought records that I have been putting of worrying about are going to be used for all situations not just food.
I think it great that we can read this now, knowing we still have a way to go, prepare mentally for it I guess.

thank you again this has given me alot to think about and a task for the weekend.

Have a great day.
Tanja

Poop didn't get my new job and am a little grumpy about it as I was told in no uncertain terms by the manager who interviewed me that I had done a brilliant job and answered everything perfectly and my application form was the best she had ever seen (you have to write a personal statement to support you application). But ... I didn't get the job.

I asked for feedback for what I could have done differently - she said nothing - everything was bang on and really impressive. It simply came down to the fact that the other candidate had experience in one aspect that I didn't. Something they could clearly see from the application forms. I hate NHS red-tape, because there were only 2 candidate that applied - the new rules state that they have to interview both of us - even though my performance in the interview would make no difference to who was offered the job. How silly is that?

I would have been less disappointed if they had called and told me I didn't get the position because the other candidate performed better on the day, but to be told you wiped the floor with the other applicant but still didn't get the job sticks in my craw a bit.

Oh well, I am a taking a different view of it - that what is for me won't pass me by and the reason I didn't get this position is because there is a better one just around the corner. At least I have some more interview experience under my belt...

Still was tempted to eat the contents of the Rasberry and Cranberry stock at work last night - but managed to restrain myself. So feel good about myself this morning....

Take care all and thanks for the well wishes
I'm sorry I didn't have better news for you all.
Have a nice Friday
Laura

Laura,

Firstly, I am so sorry about your interview experience. It really is very frustrating when you know you've done really well, have then be told you did really well, and then don't get the job. I mean, that's the bottom line isn't it? Having said all that, although you did not get this job, you have gained valuable experience at the interview, and have obviously impressed the interviewers.

I know it probably does not seem like a positive experience, but try to see it in a different light; you were only pipped at the post by an applicant who had more experience in a particular field. They must also have performed well at interview. If they hadn't, you would probably have been offered the job.

Finally, although I've never met you, I would have offered you the job if you'd arrived dressed as a clown and walking on your hands! From your posts, you are a fab individual who has oodles of experience, compassion, and is happy to spread it around to benefit lots of people. There. Feel better now?:D

I bet there'll be loads of other Mini members queuing up to sing your praises any time now!

AJ

Back