Sloooow Dowwwwn

boggins

Silver Member
1 pound lost this week. Nothing to sniff at, I know, but I'm wondering if this is a permanent slow down? I'm still way overweight- actually obese!

Is it possible that if I'm gluten intolerant, eating a small amount of wheat will slow down my loss? I had a sauce with steak the other day and it could have been thickened with wheat flour. I was at a hotel for work. Did my best with the menu and made special requests, but you never really know.

This time of year is really hard for a control freak like me. I am happiest when I know exactly what's going in my gob.

I guess I'd just like some opinions on whether it's silly to think that 1 serving of sauce would slow down my loss or not? Could it just be a natural slow down?

I'm toying with stopping any kind of measurement for the next couple of weeks. Keep on eating low carb I mean, but stop with the scales and tape measure. It's just torture! If it's still slow in January I guess I just accept that. Somehow! :cry:

Hi there boggins - i found that my body sometimes just stalled for no good reason. Most of the ups i could attribute but the stalls were more mysterious. If you have been losing steadily then i would just keep going - dont get too worried anyway:D
Xx

One pound per week, that's 52 pounds per year, 3st 8lb! Keep going hun, don't lose heart. :)

This is when your tape measure is your best friend - lol I read that on the Atkins site. Measure yourself each week - maybe your body is changing.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

It averages out. Most people find that if they lose 1lb a week for 3 weeks, and keep on the wagon, in the 4th week they might suddenly lose 4. The stalls and wooshes are a natural, if frustrating, aspect of low carb.

Don't think it's just an aspect of low carb, it's any weight loss programme. The body is a complicated creature and perverse. Long as you stick to plan you will lose the weight, just don't lose heart.

If your doing everything right it will come off, as said you'll drop more weight one week etc.

Good luck and keep at it :)

Just look at my stats the last few weeks. Brutal! It is normal so dont give up. I stalled for the whole of january and suddenly at the end of feb 8 pounds came off in one week. Just waiting (not patiently) for the whoosh to come again :)

Thanks all. I am learning to be philosophical about it. I had a Christmas Do tonight (butternut squash soup....oops, but yum! No dessert, and no alcohol- that's why I'm home so early!) and got a lot of praise and comments from people about what I've lost so far. 65lbs is a LOT. I'm looking at it that way.

Plus now I'm weightlifting I expect to see more body changes, so no movement on the scale isn't so important. Getting your head in the right place is half the battle, isn't it? I've come a long way, and if I keep going (and I've no desire to go back to the mounds of takeaway pizzas and ice cream I used to eat....wow...frightening) eventually I'll hit goal. The day I can say "I am no longer obese" I will come here and thank you all for your support. It WILL happen. :D

PS Marysu- I did look at your stats and that really helped. It's not just me! If you can keep going, so can I. Thank you.

There are some great posts here, you all shame me - in a nice way.. :) Can anyone tell me how to deal with the wish to binge on what I know is rubbish.

I think it's different for everyone, but you could try:

- stopping and asking yourself if you're really hungry. If so, eat something filling but not junky. If not:
-distract yourself with an activity you enjoy
-have on hand or make a treat that's only a bit naughty. In the past, not so much anymore, I used to mix cream, cocoa powder and Splenda, just to deal with a need for something sweet.
-if you're newly low-carb and it's sugar cravings, in my experience you just have to steel your resolve and stick to it. The awful side-effects of giving up sugar were enough for me to not want to start eating it again, but I had dreams about it for a while. There's no cure except willpower that I know of.
- if it's emotional binge eating, try a bit of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy on yourself. Try to figure out what happened to make you want to binge, what thoughts you had, how they made you feel. I had an example the other day where my partner's reluctance to do something I wanted to do made me upset. Once I realised I was sad (oddly I had to learn to read my own feelings rather than ignore them) I went mentally back to figure out why and question whether it was reasonable or not. I also was able to calmly tell him how I felt without arguing. I also didn't eat anything!
-as a last resort, have a blow-out. As long as you stop when you're done and go straight back to plan. If you can't trust yourself, don't even attempt it. It might slow you down, but one bad meal is not the end of the world.

Hope that helps!

Thanks boggins, I'm ashamed to say I've had an all day blow out! Totting it up roughly, I've had over 4000 calories. Since about 11am I've either been looking for something to eat or eating it! It is my sweet tooth which is controlling me today. I dread Christmas it is a sort of madness. 10.30pm & tomorrow is another day..

Hi wrinkly, how did you get on today? I'm sorry you had a binge yesterday, but you know it happens to us all at times. X x

4isnotenough, According to MFP, 1307 calories, 9 carbs, 79 fat & 115 protein. It looks as if sanity is returning.

I think it should be more fat & less protein but - what the heck... :D

I love this thread... I can relate to so much! When my mouth and neck crave food (it's never usually my stomach) I just fill up on legal foods and eventually sometime during the day I'm so stuffed that I stop eating! Lol

Also, if I'm craving sweet stuff the Atkins vanilla powder shake totally hits the spot! I've not tried the cocoa/Splenda/cream combo which sounds awesome! I also love sf jelly - its amazing with cream - or without... But I try to limit that as I think I could OD on it! Lol

Wrinkly, that's the spirit :). Keep on going good today and before you know it you are back on track. On that note my 9yo is waving a Curley Wurley about in front of me lol.

I've been to the gym, done 45 mins cardio and weights, and what do I want now? Chocolate. It's dreadful! I'm not even hungry! I had a protein shake when I left the gym and I'm still full.

Looks like I'm not going to make under 16 stone for Christmas, which is a real pain. :( But the scale is still moving, all is not lost. Chin up ladies, best foot forward.

Oh Boggins, it's an awful feeling, not hunger but appetite.

But you are doing so well, the inches are melting away.

W00t! Weigh in today and I lost 3lb this week. Annoyingly that makes me 16 stone 1lb. But I'll take it!

By the time I get towards the end of a stone bracket I start getting impatient to break it. When I was 17st something I desperately wanted to be 16st 13. Now I'm 16st 1 I won't be happy until I'm 15st 13! So stupid. Chill, chill. It'll happen when it happens. I went into Monsoon today to try dresses on, just because I can do that now. That is victory enough!
Sorry, this is turning into my personal diary.

Back