Slow cooker apple-fig butter

Discussion in 'Paleo / Primal - Recipes' started by Plumfoodie, 2 February 2013.

1. Plumfoodie

Plumfoodie Paleo maintenance rocks!

Apple butter is something I don't think I've seen in the UK, but it's delicious! I had some of this for breakfast dolloped onto Greek yoghurt after cooking it overnight. Am sure it would be a lovely treat on no-oatmeal too. I'm freezing most of it and just keeping what we can use quickly in the fridge.

You could make it less sweet with less maple syrup (what I used instead of honey) as the figs are quite sweet! Remember that American apples are huge compared to many British ones so choose big apples or use more!

Crockpot Fig Apple Butter

Prep time: 20 mins
    Cook time: 8 hours
    Total time: 8 hours 20 mins

20 dried black figs, stems removed, cut in half
    6 large dessert apples, peeled, cored and diced
    1 cup apple cider (cloudy apple juice)
    ½ cup honey (or other sweetener such as maple syrup)
    3 tablespoons cinnamon (sounds like a lot, because it is, and it's awesome)
    ½ teaspoon ground cloves
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in the slow cooker. Mix well.

Put the slow cooker at low and cook for 6-8 hours until apples are completely soft and almost mushy.

Place ingredients (I did mine in two batches) in food processor and puree until smooth.

Eat with anything. A spoon, on some banana bread, on a banana. Possibilities are endless.

Store in refrigerator in a jar. Because jars are cute.

Made 3 8oz jars for me
  2. CaledoniaDreaming

CaledoniaDreaming Well-Known Member

Oh wow, this recipe brought back memories of my (American) mother making jars of Apple Butter deliciousness - thanks for putting up a paleo version so I can make it for my kids to enjoy too!
  3. Plumfoodie

Plumfoodie Paleo maintenance rocks!

Hope you enjoy it! It does have a strong fig flavour so if you're after a more pure apple butter taste you may need to adapt it. :)
  4. CaledoniaDreaming

CaledoniaDreaming Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, what an excuse to make two batches :rolleyes: