Slow weight loss due to skipping breakfast?

Arcadia

I started back at slimming world classes after Christmas after a 3 month break. My weight loss has been very slow since starting back though and I wondered could this have something to do with skipping breakfast? I havent really been eating till about 11 o clock in the morning where as before i was eating 3 regular meals. Has anyone got any experience with this? Thanks

breakfast as you know is very important as it kick starts your metabolism, because the body last had its meal say around 8-10 hours ago depending on time of tea etc then it doesnt know when the next one is coming so basically goes into famine mode and slows right down i normally if i can eat within half hour of when i get up just to get me body burning

Sorry to barge into the thread but whilst we're on the subject.. I get up at around 6.30am and if I eat anything at all for breakfast it won't be until at least 8am. Does it still count as breakfast by then? Or should I have whatever I'm having earlier than that? It's usually a banana! I'm not properly hungry until lunchtime usually even if I have the banana or not.

Sorry to barge into the thread but whilst we're on the subject.. I get up at around 6.30am and if I eat anything at all for breakfast it won't be until at least 8am. Does it still count as breakfast by then? Or should I have whatever I'm having earlier than that? It's usually a banana! I'm not properly hungry until lunchtime usually even if I have the banana or not.

Yep that still counts. Tho really the sooner you have something the better, but thats still fine.

Well why not try having breakfast all week and see if it helps? We are all different, so its good to experiment and find what works for you.

I tend to split my breakfast in half, so have something light before leaving the house, and then something else at teabreak time in work. For example, I may have toast and tomatoes at home, then yoghurt and fruit in work.

Everybody is different but I very seldom eat breakfast, and if I do I just have muller light and/or fruit.
My weight loss speeded right up when I stopped eating it. I also found if I ate breakfast I was hungry all day.
I only eat when I am hungry and don't stick to specific meal times though I do tend to have an evening meal as I am hungry by then!

I start work at 6am and eating breakfast at 5am can be a struggle but I try and force myself to have at least something small (yogurt and banana) because I find having that helps me not overeat later. The days I don't eat early I finish work and tend to grab something "bad".

Like Purple Star says, why not experiment and see if having something helps for the next week.

In case anyone is interested :)

Th idea that metabolism is stoked in some way when eating breakfast first thing in the morning is a myth that wont seem to die. In fact, it's been proven that if anything, your metabolism raises slightly in the first few days of fasting (if you can last that long LOL)

The research was based on some very faulty research involving boxers long before much was known about how other things come into play which give a false reading.

However, many people find that by eating a good breakfast, they eat less throughout the day, and some people find the opposite. They eat breakfast and they are hungrier from then on.

So it boils down to this. If eating breakfast makes you eat too much throughout the day, you will gain weight. If breakfast makes you eat less throughout the day, you'll lose weight.

This also goes for the idea of eating more frequently vs eating 3 times a day.

There has been a ton of research since the boxer one to confirm this.

One here

Meal frequency and energy balance. [Br J Nutr. 1997] - PubMed result

"We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation"

KD is right. Where is it in law that we have to have breakfast within 1 hour of us getting up? What if you are a shift worker...you're stuffed!
If you have a breakfast, you have breakfast, if you dont, it will NOT slow your weight loss. I get up at 6.50..in work for 8.30, I dont eat anything until around 10.00 sometimes later and I have managed alright so far!

My sleeping pattern is all over the place, basically down to my depression and meds. I'm very rarely awake for 'normal' breakfast time, so my breakfast is usually lunch. Most days I will only eat 2 meals and a snack, but if I'm feeling hungry later on I will have a small snack that I guess is a bit like what breakfast would be-usually yogurt and/or fruit. I've also noticed when I am actually up early and do have breakfast I am hungry ALL day, but if I don't have it I can happily go till 1pm without feeling hungry *shrug*
I think it's just finding what works for you :)

I have to have breakfast as if I don't then quite often I find I get very light-headed and start feeling a bit sick. When I left home - 20 something years ago, my mum made me promise to always have something to eat before I go out - all these years later I still feel obliged to respect my promise :rotflmao:

I always have breakfast, so if you notice a slower weightloss, start having it again and see if it makes a difference. We're all different, you have to work out what works best for you. I'm a 'nibbler' and can happily snack on fruit/carrots etc virtually all day long! If I go too long without food I get over hungry and can end up eating for England.

Oh I love my breakfasts!! Its my favourite meal of the day! I usually wake up at 6:30, shower, dress and have breakfast at about 7:15. I don't have lunch before 2pm and I'm rarely hungry between breakfast and lunch. I'm a 3 square meals a day kinda girl with minimal snacks. I like the structure of 3 meals a day and its lovely to wake up to a nice filling meal in the morning :D

Back