Snack ideas?

Syn Free Snack Ideas

Have friends round every Tuesday evening and we have a couple of glasses of wine and nibbles. These are usually crisps, nuts etc. They are not doing Slimming World, so I really need some yummy nibble ideas that are Syn Free ( because of wine!!), but won't make them feel like I'm feeding them Slimmimg World food!!!! May be a tall order!?!?! Thank you

I make a dip with fat free nat yog mixed with teeny diced cucumber, a spoonful of mint sauce, black pepper and salt. Serve with lots of crudite. Yummy. Or how about potato wedgies - sprinkle them with cajun spices and serve with a homemade tomato salsa?

There's a recipe around here somewhere for syn free crisps, you do them in the microwave as well so aren't much effort!! I haven't tried them yet but am doing so tonight so will let you know how they go. I'm going to attempt to make parsnip and beetroot ones aswell, as veg crisps are my big weakness!
x.

There's a recipe around here somewhere for syn free crisps, you do them in the microwave as well so aren't much effort!! I haven't tried them yet but am doing so tonight so will let you know how they go. I'm going to attempt to make parsnip and beetroot ones aswell, as veg crisps are my big weakness!
x.

They are NOT free, sorry. They come under using a food as it is not intended, like the following:

"2. Are couscous cake and lasagne-sheet ‘Doritos’ Free?

You might be disappointed to hear that they’re not. Because changing the use of a food can make it easier to over-eat, to protect your weight loss they become Synned.

When foods like pasta, rice and grains are used in their original form they’re low in energy density (calories), bulky, appetite-satisfying foods.
Pasta, couscous and rice are usually the main ingredient in a meal packed with other Free Foods – giving it sufficient bulk to be satisfying as a meal in itself. However, when ground down, used as flour (like in couscous cake), seasoned crisps (like Doritos) or puréed (like smoothies) they’re often used as additions to a main meal… and on top of your day’s Syns. It is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky way, and as such would then be counted as Syns."

Is it possible some mod could make this a sticky, if i isn't already? If it is could someone post a link? x

Snack ideas for a busy girl?

I'm currently at a sixth form and so attend there 9-3:45 Monday-Friday. I get quite hungry during the day (which is bad) and so I was wondering what sort of snacks I could try to fill that gap with?

For my lunch I literally have a pasta salad (pasta, pepper, carrot, cucumber, ham, a tiny bit of light mayo) and a mixed fruit salad.

I've tried things like crab sticks (which, I'm not going to lie, I think are repulsive... I don't dislike many foods really), French Fries (4.5 syns each, so I can have them once in a blue moon) and Hi-Fi light bars which are a godsend in the mornings!

The sorts of things I am looking for need to be quite cheap (my mums already spent a lot of money on staple ingredients to make things from scratch, bless her), and take little/no preparation. And of course are so nice that I want to eat more of them.

Help! ;)

I boil an egg when I'm boiling Sons for his sandwiches for college, I leave mine in the shell, and then eat it when a hunger pang comes before tea , or fruit. Crab sticks. I limit myself to one banana a day,I could eat more. X

i tend to take mugshots with me wherever I go. I'm sure your cafeteria at college would let you have a mug of boiling water, if not i'd kick off!

Maybe chop up some veggies like carrots, peppers and celery and have them on hand for when the munchies strike?

I definitely also agree with mug shots - these save me all the time when at uni!

Maybe an extra portion of fresh fruit to tide you over?

I have so much fruit and veg :p I pick at it during snack times at the moment so I definately agree with that. :)
As far as boiling water's concerned, the sixth form common room's kitchen is permanently closed due to abuse of it. A cup of hot water is 50p from the whole school coffee machine. It's awful :( otherwise soup and mugshots would definately be the way forward. Maybe I could put some in a thermos?

I'm liking the egg idea too, and the chickpeas :)

Cheese on ryvita?

Are you eating enough for breakfast? I know that wasn't your question, but I find that having a protein rich breakfast (scrambled eggs and cheese) keeps me going a lot longer than fruit and cereal.

Another thought - 3 light babybels are a hexA, and are surprisingly good at getting rid of any imminent snack attacks - and they feel like a luxury, because on most 'diets' you can't just eat a pile of cheese! Plus, the big multipacks are often on offer in Asda/Tesco.

I also make "rice cakes", wherein I take leftover boiled rice, mix it with either veggies for a green snack, or some cooked up bacon for EE (or both!) and then add beaten eggs enough to cover the whole thing, then pour into a really hot frying pan. Leave it on medium heat for about 10 mins, then put under a grill for another 10 mins or so. Bit more of a rice based quiche than anything else, but in a large frying pan it can be sliced easily, and the pieces hold well together if wrapped in cling film.

I use these often to beat hunger pangs at uni (where again, I'm on a strict budget!) and it's good for evening snacking as well.

Snack suggestions for diving trip

Hi, I am off on a diving holiday soon. I'm fairly confident with meal times but worried about boat snacks. Between dives you need to refuel and keep warm and this generally involves pasties and all manner of hot handy food from vendors.

Any suggestions for HE and low syn foods that I can stock up on here and take with me for refuelling?

Thanks!

I do the flask trick and it keeps warm for about 4 hours. Or you could take some home made soup in your flask.

How about slimming world quiche?? Or a muler light? (try morrisons as they are usually cheap then tesco)

Slimming World Quiche
4 eggs
500g cottage cheese
Bacon
Mushrooms
Onion
Pek Chopped Pork Gold – 1 syn 100g (optional)
Mixed Herbs
Optional – HeA cheese allowance

Method
Add eggs, cottage cheese, garlic, pepper, salt, mixed herbs and blend smooth.
Frylight the mushrooms, bacon, onions then add along with the pork to the mixture. Pour into a flan/quiche dish and cook on gas mark 6/180ish for 30 minutes or until firm to tough.

Optional sprinkle mixed herbs on top before cooking or cheese or mix the cheese into the egg mixture in a blender.
x

I take pasta and sauce to work in a flask - just add the required amount of boiling water to the flask and pour in the uncooked pasta. By the time it gets to lunch the pasta is cooked. You could do this with a mug shot - also warm your flask up first by pouring hot water into it for a bout 5 mins then tipping it away keeps things hotter for longer.

My fave snack at the mo is syn free tzatziki. I use either quark, low fat natural yog or low fat natural fromage frais, whatever I have in the fridge. Chop up half a cucumber, a minced clove of garlic and salt to taste and chuck into the quark/yog/from frais. Leave it in the fridge for an hour or so then dip in strips of red pepper, cucumber, celery carrots -whatever crudités you fancy. It actually has taken me longer to write this post than it would to make it up and it is lurvely. Only downside is you can end up a bit garlicky but that's not your problem, it's other people's!!!

Back