Snacks at work

NatalieBxx

Hi all,

So I know the typical fruit and mugshots but has anyone got any free or low syn idea I can eat at my desk, I get paid tomorrow and am doing a shop so I was just seeing if anyone had any ideas.

Strawberries and Melon! Sweet kick without the syns.
Or, how about some Ryvita Crispbread and some Laughing Cow Light/Extra Light cheese triangles? If you are happy to use your HEX A and HEX B, you can have 6 wholegrain crackerbread, and 6 extra light triangles, so it feels like you're having a lot :)
Or, cook some quorn/low fat sausages to eat cold? Only a few/no syns...
Or if you have a fridge to keep stuff in, cook some risotto and have it cold? Or even better heat it in a microwave :p

I wouldn't have a mug shot as a snack.

I do stick to fruit or I take a tub of cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks and munch on those.

I would advise, and this works for me, having plenty for you lunch and then you won't feel the need to snack. I also drink tons of water at my desk.

I wouldn't have a mug shot as a snack.

I do stick to fruit or I take a tub of cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks and munch on those.

I would advise, and this works for me, having plenty for you lunch and then you won't feel the need to snack. I also drink tons of water at my desk.

Would you not? Can I ask why? x

Strawberries and Melon! Sweet kick without the syns.
Or, how about some Ryvita Crispbread and some Laughing Cow Light/Extra Light cheese triangles? If you are happy to use your HEX A and HEX B, you can have 6 wholegrain crackerbread, and 6 extra light triangles, so it feels like you're having a lot :)
Or, cook some quorn/low fat sausages to eat cold? Only a few/no syns...
Or if you have a fridge to keep stuff in, cook some risotto and have it cold? Or even better heat it in a microwave :p

Thanks for your ideas hun x

I work from home so snacking is a problem for me because it's just so easy to go to the kitchen between conference calls and spreadsheets!

I make sure that I have some houmous and veg sticks ready for a mid afternoon snack. The recipe is on here and in the new EE summer book.

When I'm doing red days, I do a few of them consequtively and save some different cold cuts to use as a snack too.

I wouldn't have a mugshot as a snack because they are something like 200+ calories, and whilst we don't count calories on SW, I think this is way too much as a snack.
I'm a firm believer that if you eat enough at mealtimes, some fruit or veg sticks should be sufficient to get you through to the next meal.

Also, it's because on EE, SW advise you to make superfree foods your first choice for snacks. I try to follow this for all plans though.

Just my opinion though of course :)

I wouldn't have a mugshot as a snack because they are something like 200+ calories, and whilst we don't count calories on SW, I think this is way too much as a snack.
I'm a firm believer that if you eat enough at mealtimes, some fruit or veg sticks should be sufficient to get you through to the next meal.

Also, it's because on EE, SW advise you to make superfree foods your first choice for snacks. I try to follow this for all plans though.

Just my opinion though of course :)

This is a good point to be honest!

It's because I tend to stock up on things that will ask especially round the time I dont have any money, so Mugshots are easy to keep in the draw.

Thanks hun x

I do have an "emergency" mugshot in the desk draw but this is for if I forget my lunch or don't have anything in for lunch.

I work from home so snacking is a problem for me because it's just so easy to go to the kitchen between conference calls and spreadsheets!

I make sure that I have some houmous and veg sticks ready for a mid afternoon snack. The recipe is on here and in the new EE summer book.

When I'm doing red days, I do a few of them consequtively and save some different cold cuts to use as a snack too.

Veg sticks are a good one, is it the beetroot houmous or something? I might give this a go as me and normal houmous are not allowed as I can't leave it alone!

Mmm I too am at home so not sure how much of what I do is feasible, but the things I always have hanging around are:

- Fruit (not just apples etc but strawberries, blueberries, melon etc - also yoghurt to go with it)
- Mini veggie snacks (snap peas, baby sweetcorn, baby tomatoes, sticks of carrot)
- Quorn stuff - Quorn slices, fillets, sausages - chopped up and covered in spices
- home made hummus - try to keep a bowl around with the above veggie snacks to dip in it.
- I also do the above with lentils/beans etc sometimes - you can have a big bowl of free stuff hanging around and just chuck some flavouring on it (spices/garlic/lemon juice whatever to make it tasty). I know it *seems* like "a meal", but a few spoons with some veggies is a great snack, and if you dont eat it all you can have it for tea later)
- Lots of fluid - coffee, Bovril, squash, diet fizzy drinks

Im sure there must be more, thats off the top of my head. Just take piles of free stuff!

Veg sticks are a good one, is it the beetroot houmous or something? I might give this a go as me and normal houmous are not allowed as I can't leave it alone!

The beetroot one is in the mag. I didnt like it much but plenty of other people did :D

Try my free spicy jalapeno hummus:

Hummus recipe: (FREE on green/EE)

1 tin chickpeas, drained (keep the juice)
1-2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
1 tsp ground cumin
about 10 medium jalapeno slices (I like mine quite hot, you might want less than this) - (also some juice from the jalapeno jar)
Plenty of salt & freshly ground pepper

Stick the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin and jalapenos in a food processor. Add 1 tbsp of the juice from the jalapeno jar and about 4tbsp of the juice from the chickpeas and whizz to desired consistency.

You will need to adjust the amount of chickpea juice to suit how thick/runny you like your hummus.

I like Discovery jalapenos better than Old El Paso - they're smaller but tastier. Their red jalapenos are lovely and make it really colourful.

Last edited:
Here we go, this was actually tea one night, but these are the sort of things I have hanging around as snacks too:

5923321850_77e1fba404_o.jpg

The beetroot one is in the mag. I didnt like it much but plenty of other people did :D

Try my free spicy jalapeno hummus:

Hummus recipe: (FREE on green/EE)

1 tin chickpeas, drained (keep the juice)
1-2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
1 tsp ground cumin
about 10 medium jalapeno slices (I like mine quite hot, you might want less than this)
Plenty of salt & freshly ground pepper

Stick the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin and jalapenos in a food processor. Add 1 tbsp of the juice from the jalapeno jar and about 4tbsp of the juice from the chickpeas and whizz to desired consistency.

You will need to adjust the amount of chickpea juice to suit how thick/runny you like your hummus.

I like Discovery jalapenos better than Old El Paso - they're smaller but tastier. Their red jalapenos are lovely and make it really colourful.

Wow yum!! I am definitely making this! Thank you!

x

If you like original houmous then try the recipe below. I like the flavoured ones but this is my fave!

Two cans of chickpeas (drained)
250g Cottage cheese
Two cloves of garlic (chipped finely)
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Blend it all together and it's done!
Add mixed herbs for a pesto style houmous.
Mix in small chunks of red pepper and courgette for a chunky veg version.

When I'm at work I always make sure I have a ton of fruit with me, in case I get a snack attack! I sometimes also bring a yogurt with me as well, but otherwise that's about it when I'm at work. But then I have turned into a complete fruit bat since starting SW!

At home then we usually have a big bowl of cous cous in the fridge, which comes in handy if we get peckish, as well as being good for lunches, etc. It's just cous cous soaked with veg stock, and chopped salad veg mixed in (cucumber, onion, cherry toms, peppers, gherkin, etc), whatever we have in the fridge really. And I also make sure we have plenty of sliced lean cooked meat in the fridge as well - if I get peckish over the weekend then a rolled up slice of cooked ham is sometimes all that is needed!

Oh, and tons of water! I drink sparkling water which fills me up even more than plain water. If I feel peckish I always drink a large glass of water and then leave it for half an hour. If I'm still hungry then I'll get something to eat. But a lot of the time the water does the trick.

I tend to have hartleys sugar free jellies in my drawer (0.5 syns each) and some options hot chocolate so when someone goes on a chocolate run I'm fully prepared with my 1.5-2 syn choco fix. :)

I make a quiche and have that as a snack through the day, lasts for about 3 days in the fridge...lovely

Back