So BEEEEP Angry....

Well done GG remember you can pick your friends but you cannot pick your family. I have a brother similar to yours who is always going on about how hard done by he was (out come the violins), I still have contact with him but on my terms mainly cause I like my SIL.

If he emails you back perhaps you could return it with the PMSL sign:D You and your British brother can have even more time for yourselves.

ha ha, if only, we haven't got those little signs on email at work, shame really!!!

They do!! Just copy it and paste i!!

There is even one playing a violion!!!

Gald you are OK. I know you must be fuming. But rise above it, as I know you will.

What a idiot - he is going to lose out on soooo much.

You know where I am if ya need me - now look after yourself Mrs. :)

XXX

I'm going to write a response to your original post, as I feel I might have a different perspective, working in a caring profession.

I do not condone your brother's reaction. It comes across as a very unfeeling, selfish response to your father's problems. However, unfortunately, his response to your father's illness is not unusual.

I would say that from his response to your father having a hypo (which was to blame your father for not eating enough), he is clearly completely ill-educated on a lot of issues around health. He does not understand diabetes (my best friend is diabetic, and the amount of hours I spent with her in A + E whilst she was getting it under control convinced me that you can eat enough and still have a hypo), and he definitely does not understand colitis.

So i would say that the first need here is education. There are lots of websites that you could refer him to, which would be a start!

But the lack of compassion is more worrying. I would hazard a guess that the amount of times he has mentioned his wife and her opinion, someone is being a bit wound up by someone else here. This is just a hunch mind you.

My heart goes out to you and your father, and I hope that you are not feeling too hurt and upset on his behalf. You're doing a really good job of caring about your step-father too by the way, many relatives would not be so caring.

Hi Dom, many thanks for your post, it was very interesting reading, especially about my brothers wife.

It reminded me of something that happened years ago, when my brother still lived in Scotland with my dad, I was up visiting. My brother had just been on a "boys only" holiday to Crete (or Corfu, can't remember which!) and said he had met a girl there. He said it was nothing serious, that he had met up with her a few times and decided it was going no-where, so he had tried to end it. This resulted in said girlfriend threatning to kill herself, couldn't live without him, all that sort of stuff.

Anyway, my brother is a very handsome bloke (think of David Tennant with a bit more muscle and you're there) - he showed me some pics of this mousy brown not overly attractive woman. I told him that his girlfriends in the past had been stunners, so what on earth was he doing with this "Heid the ball" (as we say in Scotland! I told him he could do soooo much better than her, and not to put up with her emotional blackmail, and to bin her.

He lived in Scotland, she lived in Sunderland (sorry to any Sunderlanders out there), so they weren't even living close to each other.

Well, the next thing was, he was engaged to her! I got married myself when I was 21 (long time ago, only lasted 18 mths), when I had my 21st birthday party, he turned up with his "fiance", and told my other brother that he had better behave himself and not get drunk and embarrass him! (It's a Scottish party for goodness sake, that's what we do!!)

Anyway, upshot is, I had the big white wedding, the full works, brother turns up and announces that he and said girlfriend had got married the week before in Nottingham! No guests, nothing. Although when we saw the pictures, all of her family were there - funny that!

The more I think back on it, the more I think he is quite a weak character, and she is pulling the strings.

Well, more fool him really for putting up with it.

As to his basic lack of knowledge if diabetes and ulcerative colitis, well, he has known my dad has suffered from this for a long time, my brother is an intelligent man, as he keeps telling me ("I've got a degree you know, and I did it all myself!!"), so I cannot accept he didn't at least Google it.

But, in his defence (don't know why I'm saying that!) a friend at work said today that this could be his way of dealing with things, he's frightened and doesn't want to see his dad like that. Although, neither do I, but I would never behave the way he did, totally unacceptable.

Sorry guys for ranting a bit again, but you might be able to tell, I'm still blazing mad at him:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

BUT - hubby is away tonight, and I have steered clear of the fridge!

One small Victory in a huge pile of SH*T! (Pardon the pun!!)

BUT - hubby is away tonight, and I have steered clear of the fridge!

One small Victory in a huge pile of SH*T! (Pardon the pun!!)

You keep clear of that fridge. I don't know who said this, but I love this quote

'Being well is the best revenge, but murder is coming a close second'

You know, it might be amusing to send your intellectual snob of a brother an extremely patronising email, which highlights his lack of knowledge, and points him in the direction of a few sources he may like to familiarise himself with. It would wind him right up! Evil? Moi?

Love that quote! Might stick that on the fridge, ha ha!!

I would soooooo love to send him some internet links on diabetes and colitis, but unfortunately my last email said that he wouldn't hear from me again, dammit!!!!!!!;)

Well done GG you are coping really well with this situation.

Still think you should wear the mini skirt to work:D

Dom that sounded like sound advice to me and it is always good to hear things from a different perspecive.

Would need to totally cover up with big thick tights and big boots, ha ha!!!

need to wait until BL is back in work so she can say I did it!!!

Hi GG - just read through your thread with contempt and disgust for your brother and felt so so sorry for your poor dad and the situation he finds himself in. I have issues with my (now ex) brother and it has caused friction recently, so I understand how you feel.

Well done to you for being strong with your diet, caring to your step dad and compassionate to your dad. He definately is going to need TLC when he returns and I hope your brother finds out the hard way that good health can not be taken for granted. I do believe in"what goes around comes around" ... so hopefully he'll get his sometime!!

Best wishes and (((HUGS)))

Hey GG.

I will be back Tuesday. So get your boots out! :D

I agree with both what you and DOM have said. My iniital reaction was, maybe.....but then I thought....no. If someone you love has two serious illnesses - you TAKE the time to research it and understand it. For heavens sake. With the internet it is all right there at his highly educated fingertips! ;)

Hoping he doesn't bombard you with yet another horrible mail. But hey ho - look at you staying in control!!! I knew you would and am glad to hear you did!!!

Keep on being the strong one. That will be another flag you can wave at him one day if you ever do decide to see/speak to him again.

XXX

Ah well, surprisingly, I haven't heard from him, I thought he wouldn't be able to resist getting the last word!

Hey ho!!

Hey GG. He is probably stewing in his own juices. lol Give it a few more days - you may hear the "last words".....but if not - good. I think his silence can only mean, he is probably re-reading or re-hearing your words over and over in his head, now doubt winding him up. Tis good if you have made him think.

You doing OK? Is your OH still out of town?

x

Indeed he is, not back until Friday night, what a bummer!!

Read your other posting earlier, oh babe, wanted to give you a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIg Hug!! You are an amazing, brave, funny, kind and awe inspiring woman,you know that??!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Indeed he is, not back until Friday night, what a bummer!!

Read your other posting earlier, oh babe, wanted to give you a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIg Hug!! You are an amazing, brave, funny, kind and awe inspiring woman,you know that??!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Aw, thanks GG. :eek: It was really scary posting that, but I just needed to put it out in the universe and hopefully something will shift. God knows its about time it did. I just cannot go back to burying it, and I am afraid I will if I don;t deal with it. And it doesn't seem to go away. It is telling me "you WILL deal with me!" lol SO hey ho. Time to pay for ones sins I guess. Another chapter of my murky life. :D (Just kidding)

Thanks again (((hugs)))

x

Ha ha Toller, no, you're far too lovely!!

BL - No sins, just experiences. I'm no way a counsellor, and I know it's no way a comparison, but I felt much better putting all my thoughts down on here, almost like a "cleansing" if you know what I mean? Have you spoken to V about maybe having a private session?

I'm majorly here for you though, as we all are, we will do our best to help you.

On a completely unrelated note, you'll be glad you weren't in today, I walked past your pod and everyone had Easter eggs from the bosses! Thank goodness I didn't get one!!

Oh, and I've got three pairs of breeks under my desk for you for when you get back if you want!!!

xxxx

Back