so fed up i feel like giving up

jazz86

hi everyone i thought id post in here for some motivation

i am feeling such a failure at the moment i have been on a diet for about six weeks and upto cgristmas i have been doing quite well with only a few slip ups

then xmas comes and i have used it as an excuse to have a total pig up for over a week for the last three days i have said enough is enough but keep eating rubbish today i have eaten crisps chocolate and a mc donalds

i feel so out of control i have decided to try and stick to a diet of

scrambled eggs for breakfast

either pasta or fish for lunch

and chicken and veg or steak and veg for dinner

i want to be losing a stone a month and have five stone to lose

i feel so desperate i do not know where to start or how to stay focused any thoughts would be a help

thankyou for reading

Hey hun, I think Christmas is such a hard time of year as we are surrounded by food. How about easing yourself back in gently so rather than going cold turkey and being really strict, each day you just cut out one of the things you've been eating. For example, tomorrow no crisps.

xx

A little at a time...
Jan 22 of this year I turned over a new leaf; no diet to follow as such, just getting more exercise, cutting out cheese, butter, choc, biscuits etc. All this time I have eaten really great food, never gone hungry and now weigh in at 10st 5lb (I was a whopping 17st!!). I have not considered myself as "on a diet" – the food I eat now is what I plan to stick to for life, with the odd indulgence, of course! I am getting into size 10 clothes now (was size 24) and was bought a fab cashmere sweater for Christmas as a reward. I aim to be under 10st by the end of Jan, when I go to Vancouver to visit my favourite musician and singer in the recording studio. Take it slowly and steady – lose 1-3lbs a week and the weight is more likely to stay off. A stone a month sounds a little ambitious. For me, I set myself little goals – 7lbs at a time, rather than thinking "Cripes – 7st to lose!!" It's worth it in the end, believe me :)

hey there, this is an all too familiar feeling I am sure loads of us have gone through.

The very best thing you can do is say tomorrow is another day and start the day with a clean slate. Don't think of what you have doen today - just think when you wake up tomorrow you are getting back in the saddle and you are going to stick with it.

Keep going - you know its worth it!

Okay the best thing I have found is to have a diary where you put all your feelings in it and why you are over eating, I've done this in the past and it helps or helped me to see the triggers of why. Usually something set me off like seeing a gorgeous female on tv and relating that to my size. Try not to down yourself about it just work little steps out on paper that help you alter the binging. I've been there I guess well all have. The thing is to see what's triggering you and prevent them from happening.

This might sound really patronising but I found a great way to curb snacking was to busy myself with something else. I found that if my hands were busy with something else, then they didnt wander into the fridge! Instead I started knitting. I bought loads of books and taught myself. I've made some funky things (and also some interesting things!!) and managed to cut down on my snacking too.

I'm not suggesting you learn to knit (if you dont already) but maybe try something to distract (reading etc etc).

I found it really difficult, and still do, to be able to listen to my body and decide whether I'm really hungry or whether im just snacking out of boredom!

I hope this helps and doesnt sound patronising!

Good Luck and dont worry! xxx

i know how you feel ...i have eaten anything that wasnt nailed down :479:

hi everyone thankyou for all your support the last few days have been slightly better i have managed to stick to three meals a day with one snack of fruit

exercise is not going to well due to the fact i am very lazy lol

hey its a step in the right direction :) I know what you mean about the exercise, i loathe it! If i do it then i have to feel 100% within myself and then force myself into it! lol

Hugs!!! We've all been there hun! I know how you feel. It's like once something forbidden passes our lips we suddenly lose all common sense and feel like a failure, and of course a failure can finish the forbidden pie. But you are not a failure, you are just human like the rest of us. We all slip up and we all have to get back on that straight road. In the past I have had mini binges in my bedroom (hiding from hubby) because I don't want him to see me failing. How sad is that!!! It's like if he didn't see me it wasn't happening. Of course if he did, he would probably sit me down and try to figure out why I was going wrong, and he would help. But at that moment I don't want help I just want to stuff my face (or my emotions?) with tasty food.

I am only just starting to learn that its not working after over 30 years of yo-yo dieting and I'm getting there slowly. Good luck hun!

I think if you have a bad day you have to think it was a bad day and carry on, try not to get disheartened and let one bad day turn into 2 then 3 as it will cause a snowball affect.

I am trying to be good 80% of the time that way I dont beat myself up. Although am trying for the 100 day challenge.

Hugs!!! We've all been there hun! I know how you feel. It's like once something forbidden passes our lips we suddenly lose all common sense and feel like a failure, and of course a failure can finish the forbidden pie. But you are not a failure, you are just human like the rest of us. We all slip up and we all have to get back on that straight road. In the past I have had mini binges in my bedroom (hiding from hubby) because I don't want him to see me failing. How sad is that!!! It's like if he didn't see me it wasn't happening. Of course if he did, he would probably sit me down and try to figure out why I was going wrong, and he would help. But at that moment I don't want help I just want to stuff my face (or my emotions?) with tasty food.

I am only just starting to learn that its not working after over 30 years of yo-yo dieting and I'm getting there slowly. Good luck hun!

i have binges aswell i am trying to break the habit, i sometimes look fowrd to my husband going out so i can stuff my face i went through a stage of ordering a takeaway stuffing the lot then taking the rubbish out to my outside bin so he wouldnt know ..... that is what u call sad !!

the last few days i have been sticking to 1100 cals and 30 mins of jogging on a treadmill, although i do have to go to a walk now and then to catch my breath

i find cal counting better as then i have a bit more choice i went to somerfields and got loads of ready meals on speecial there only 80p each so i got the beef hotpot ones as there only 209 cals so are good for lunch ive also got some salmon ones and chicken in tomato which i havent tried yet

I noticed your daily intake was quite (alarmingly!) low. I use another site to help me with cal counting & I've learned a LOT about nutrition & what the body needs from it- it might help you work out how much your body needs, and how much you should eat to lose weight safely? It's Calorie Count Community It's free to join, but the information is amazing & help is quite quick if you ask for it? Again, I hope you don't mind me letting you know about it?
If you let your intake drop too low you'll be in danger of binging (as you've found!). I find eating three meals with 3 small (100cal) snacks in between helps keep me from stuffing myself with cr*p? My intake is 1500cals a day (little/no exercise) as directed by a dietitian. It's early days as to whether it'll work (long story, life-long dieter with other issues!) but I'm keeping positive. I was 17 1/2stone at one stage and got down to 10 1/2stone- so it can be done?

I agree with Irishmum that its true that VLCD's can quite easily result in binges. I know that if I eat anything less than 1500 a day I am going to suffer for it, if not today then tomorrow! The body thinks its starving! Of course, the natural reaction to that is to 'fill up'. It's how we would have survived thousands of years ago. It' s not only bad for the body's metabolism it also affects the heart. My doctor told me that anything less than 1200 a day was playing with fire and as I'm quite alot overweight he even recommended that I begin with 1800 a day, so that my body would gradually get used to the lower intake.

Back