So glad i've found this gi forum

Lucy_B

Silver Member
Hi everybody.

Only just stumbled upon this part of the forum- so pleased I've found it!
I am returning to GI, about 8 years ago I lost 2 stone on GI and it has all (plus more) crept back on. Have tried ww but I hated feeling confined to points so thought I would go back to GI as I have the rick gallop book.
I have only recently started to exercise regularly, I'm doing a PGCE so I have to do PE once a week at least too, so hoping that will burn a few calories :)
It would be brilliant to hear about everyone's GI experience as it may spur me on a little bit more.
I'm fully starting Thursday as this is when I can plan my meals/head to the supermarket.
Wish me luck :)

Hi! It seems very quiet in this part of the forum!

I've just started low GI, I'm incorporating it into the slimming world plan. I did try low GI before but never really got into it but I'm determined now, hoping it will help me have more energy! I'm hoping to find some new interesting recipes to keep it fresh. I'm enjoying what I'm eating, but need to have things that dont take long to prep and not expensive as I'm on a student budget.

Good luck, I only started Tuesday but loving it already!

:) xx

Hey, im trying the low gi diet but ive come to this section and it seems like noone is around anymore :( ... was hoping for some inspiration ....... im kinda starting this week, just getting my head around the plan .. iv been doin ww pp and to go from controlled points to this is a hard step ..... hope your journey is going well xxxxx

Hi. How's the GI going. I aren't doing so well. My main meals are balance Gi meals, as are my snacks (usually ryvita with fat free cottage cheese) but I haven't been able to curb the chocolate yet :( xx

Hi. How's the GI going. I aren't doing so well. My main meals are balance Gi meals, as are my snacks (usually ryvita with fat free cottage cheese) but I haven't been able to curb the chocolate yet :( xx

aHHH Great !! but atleast your doing it, maybe once you start seeing results youll crack the chocolate, i bought lindt 85% cocoa the other day n its actually quite nice, you only need one square for that choccy taste ... ive been eating good, porridge and chopped nuts for breakfast and homemade lentil soup for dinner ... tea - ive been eating sweet potato n stuffed peppers ........... im living proof the gi actually works coz im insulin dependant diabetic n my blood sugars have been FABULOUS! i shouulda done this yrs ago !!
Keep me up to date on how your getting on, im lovin your idea for snacks, rvita n cc .... iv been havin peanut butter n oatcakes .. very yummy xxx

I love dark chocolate and I know you can have it in small quantities, maybe I should get some and save it for after my dinner then I can think if I am tempted throughout the day nope I have chocolate for later.
Glad it's going so well, you sound like you are doing fab. I love peanut butter, I sometimes have it on 1 slice of bread as a snack. Nutella isn't too bad on GI either.
One of my favourite things on GI is making sweet potato chips. Love them!x

I love dark chocolate and I know you can have it in small quantities, maybe I should get some and save it for after my dinner then I can think if I am tempted throughout the day nope I have chocolate for later.
Glad it's going so well, you sound like you are doing fab. I love peanut butter, I sometimes have it on 1 slice of bread as a snack. Nutella isn't too bad on GI either.
One of my favourite things on GI is making sweet potato chips. Love them!x

i wonder if a dark choc kitkat would apply .... :rolleyes: haha ......

Ooo sweet potato chips sound lush!!

Ive been addicted to soup, ive made 3 batches now :eek: sweet potato & lentil soup!! nom nom .. cracking for the blood sugars too!

xx xx

I am new and really want to start low gi way of life.bbut I am not getting what we are supposed to track and what portion amountm how much protien is allowed? Soooo not getting it.

I am new and really want to start low gi way of life.bbut I am not getting what we are supposed to track and what portion amountm how much protien is allowed? Soooo not getting it.

I suggest you check out a book like Rick Gallop's Express GI Diet; he explains everything in a pretty simple traffic light system. :)

OMGosh! I am so confused. I don't know much about either low GI or South Beach but they do seem to be similar and different at the same time if that makes any sense at all! I just need an easy to prepare menu that does not require a lot of cooking, portion sizes and what food combinations to eat. I am not at all picky. The only book they had at Barnes and Noble was Low GI for Dummies. But this book is showing you how to calculate GI and GL....omg. Shoot me now.

That sounds like an effort that book! You shouldnt have to calculate GI at all! In my rick gallop book it's days they have a website, www.gidiet.co.uk. If that's no use just google rick gallop and GI. I have a list of green foods that I can eat and I have to portion control pasta, rice, potatoes and bread. Most of my meals are veggie so meat isnt an issue for me and quorn is green so it's fine on the GI.
I'm doing GI and calorie counting because I need the portion control desperately as that is half my problem.
Hope that helps
X

OMGosh! I am so confused. I don't know much about either low GI or South Beach but they do seem to be similar and different at the same time if that makes any sense at all! I just need an easy to prepare menu that does not require a lot of cooking, portion sizes and what food combinations to eat. I am not at all picky. The only book they had at Barnes and Noble was Low GI for Dummies. But this book is showing you how to calculate GI and GL....omg. Shoot me now.

That is why I suggest you pick a system and stick to it. Otherwise things get very confusing. The plans all work on the same principles but explain it differently and some of them (traffic light, SBD) take the necessity to know GI or GL values out of the picture. x

Ok...thank you. I purchased the Rick Gallop book suggested to me from Amazon. I will probably read the Low GI for Dummies I just bought to familiarize myself a bit more on this before I get started. Not sure if I should bother starting on Monday as I planned now though. I will see if I feel I know enough to go ahead or wait.

How do you make lentil soup? I have only ever made carrot xx

I Followed this recipe from a friend who got it from slimming world .. As far as im aware its low gi ...plus it doesnt make my blood sugars rise ..

Tomato & lentil soup

127g red split lentils
1 tin of plum tomatoes
chopped onion
chopped carrot
1 medium sweet potato (cubed) (i no this is an amber food but its one between about 4 portions)
1 tbsp mild curry powder
1 clove garlic
ginger (fresh or i use dry 1tsp)
750ml veggie stock

throw all together in a pan n leave to simmer til lentils are soft

That sounds yum! I need to have a go at making that x

i find it very moreish! i made a batch yesterday n had some for my dinner earlier ... make it chunky so its extra filling and you feel like your indulging :p
for non vegetarians, you can also add in some bacon (200g)

Back