So scared for after!!!!

curlywurly1234

Cambridge Consultant
Hey.
This is a weird one.. but in my head all I keep thinking about is after I have lost what i want to .. I think the reason being is because you get such negative things said to you about the diet!!

I had a call today from someone trying to sell for another event of Paul Mckenna which I did a few years ago. I said thanks but Im doing the cd and she said you will keep it off for 3 months and put it all back on!!! How nice.. COW!!! I know she was trying to sell but how rude!!!

My plan is to get to where I want to be on cd and then go to a personal trainer and join a gym to keep me on the straight and narrow!! I so dont want to put it back on (I know nobody does when there on it)but I see alot of people are coming back..

I cant get it out of my head!! HELP!! driving myself a bit mad..

Yeah I have the same fears. And, then I see so many people coming back having 'put it all back on'.

I'm totally with you on this. I think the more we all talk about what and where our weaknesses are then perhaps we'll tap into our psyche a little??

Do you think about it alot.. I have little arguments in my head about it. and so sick off people saying!! Well done you look fab but what are you going to do after.. as this one lost loads and put it back on and that one did this and that.. Urghhh ..

My standard comeback to the 'you'll put it all back on again when you stop' comment is that you could put the weight back on, no matter what diet you've done.

I've seen an awful lot of returnees to WW and SW in my time too... :rolleyes:

But I'm sure I saw somewhere the other day that research has been done that shows that people who lose weight on a VLCD are less likely to put all the weight back on. Wish I could remember where I read that - but I know I didn't dream it.

Just wanted to add that this is why it's important to see CD through to the maintenance stage and go up the plans.

CD is great for giving you the space to re-evaluate your eating habits (can you tell I've been reading KD's posts, LOL?) but the real work is done in the maintenance phase...

Thanks Lily..
I agree with you about any diet you can put it on .. and thats what I say to people too.
My brother is doing this too and he always tells me how important it is to go up the stages as he lost loads on lighter life a while back and didnt go up stages and put it on .
So I will definately be doing that..
thanks so much

Curly,
I understand your fears. I think we all share them. The best thing you can do is try and tune out when people are negative. You have shown amazing strength by getting as far as you have - there's absolutely no reason why you cannot successfully maintain your goal weight. Believe in yourself and your achievements - and leave the negativity to those who clearly have little else going on in their lives if they have time to worry about yours.
Lots of love xx

I have the same fears too, but like Curly and Lily have said, if you go back to your old eating habits after any diet you put the weight back on. When I finally finish cd I plan to eat low gi, and keep away from sugar - which is my big downfall- you have to change your eating habits for good, and not think of it as a diet then go back to your old eating habits or you will put the weight back on no matter what diet you do, I think thats why you have to go through the stages with cd, in a way to retrain you to eat healthy for life.

Hiya Curly...
I too worry about putting the weight back on.... I have no worries about being able to lose the weight but the after is scary...
What I thought to myself, is that yes we see people on here who have put it back on but remember that is a skewed view of CD ... there must be many many others who suceed but why would they come back on here, or come here for the first time, if they are slim and happy? Afterall CD is a means to an end,, just the journey,,, unless you have a vested interest in being here after maintenence for instance a CDC wanting to tell the world how FAB this diet is, it is time to move on and join all the other slim happy people who don't have to worry about food all the time.
I think this is just a different set of Gremlins you are having, you have proved to yourself you can do the diet and lose the weight, so the gremlins are saying "Aha.. you might be able to lose it, but what's the point when you are going to put it back on again!"

Curly, i reckon once you get to goal and you carefully go up the steps, you will be slim forever!! And you are worth that!

xx

The fear of putting it all back on was what stopped me trying CD before now. But I did WW, lost 4 stone, fell pregnant and put 6 stone back on, then lost most of it again untill I stopped breastfeeding and put it all back on again. I tried SW for a change and weighed the same after a year as I did when I started and have been trying to get back into WW for months now and it's just not working for me. I'm now half a stone heavier than I was when I very first started WW.

It's all about how you deal with your eating habits after the 'diet' whatever the plan. If we all stay very conscious of it, we can succeed. I'd like to get to the stage where I am good all week and not have to worry too much at weekends.

K x

i've kept 4st off for just over 2 years, gained and lost the odd 9lbs at times like xmas but who doesnt.......so its not all doom and gloom about the plan...........and look at KD, icemoose to name a few

Hi, Curly.

I know where you're coming from. But let me tell you a few things that might help put your mind at ease...

I used CD for the first time last year for the last stubborn bit that refuses to shift. I tried the Paul McKenna system previously but I'm afraid it didn't do much for me. I think it doesn't work for people that only have a bit to lose, so the system (as they refuse to call it a diet) does not work for everyone (although they refuse to accept that and will tell you you are doing it wrong). Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great system for people that have a lot more to lose than I do. But for me it can make matters worse. If I go around thinking I can eat whatever the hell I want to but stop when full, I end up gaining! I find myself maintaining at around BMI 26 which is not where I want to be.

Maintaining by thinking in WW points but also keeping the Paul McKenna 'stopping when your full' thing seems to work best for me.

However, it sometimes can go wrong and like now, I have found myself gaining a stone, seven months after doing CD for the first time (not three as that stupid sales person stated). :D

I did CD near the end of last year just for a couple of weeks. I didn't gain over Christmas, despite suffering a family bereavement and being laid up for six weeks during Nov and Dec after a tummy tuck. I actually gained it through hitting a major low in the new year and ending up on prescription drugs that sucked the life out of me and made me inactive as well as increased my need to comfort eat the wrong types of food.

That sales person was out of order. They have no right to make such assumptions and were obviously using the 'hard sell'. Just feel sorry for them as they are desperately trying to earn an income during this depressing economic climate, on top of what is probably a crappy basic salary.

Putting it all back on (and more) is a major concern for every dieter, whatever diet they are on and it all comes from that idea of the body going into starvation mode and then when it finally gets food it holds onto it desperately.

I think CD is probably different to other diets in this sense because you are getting all the right nutrients. I reeally do think the problem occurs where emotional eating habits and poor lifestyle issues have not been tackled.

My advice would be to step up the plans with your CDC's advice. Don't just stop after SS, 810, etc. Go up them all one by one until you learn how to maintain successfully. Or like me, try combining it with other diets and systems in order to learn about the nutriotnal/fat/calorie content in all different types of food and to get over emotional eating, etc.

I think another problem with gaining after CD is that we all know how massive the average losses can be so we can start to think that unhealthy habits are no big deal when we feel low because we can just go back to our good old friend, CD when we start gaining. In this case, I guess it's all about just changing one's mindset.

Sorry if I've droned on a bit, but hope this helps. Good luck. :)

PP
x

Wow! There is some really sound advice here and I think I need to read KD's blog??? Is that right???

In terms of other people and their opinion, does it really matter what they think? I don't really mind their opinion but I don't take it on board other than to remind myself that I need to be strong and do what the others have said, go up the diet and learn from maintenance.

It's the getting my head around it that will take some training, thinking and time. But if there are people out there who've maintained then I'm/we're best to follow some of their habits for a while till we/I find our niche with food.

Please forgive me as I'm going to sound quite abrupt here :eek: Just in a rush, but wanted to quickly comment on some of this.

I said thanks but Im doing the cd and she said you will keep it off for 3 months and put it all back on!!! How nice.. COW!!! I know she was trying to sell but how rude!!!

D'oh some people :rolleyes:

My plan is to get to where I want to be on cd and then go to a personal trainer and join a gym to keep me on the straight and narrow!!.
Lots of successful maintainers do this sort of thing. Not necessarily be trainers, but do go into something similar...either counselling, personal training, or some sort of hobby that involves dieting, helping people, physiology etc (hopefully not a hobby of actually yoyo dieting themselves!)

My standard comeback to the 'you'll put it all back on again when you stop' comment is that you could put the weight back on, no matter what diet you've done.

Yep. It's said that 95% put it back on regardless of the diet.
But I'm sure I saw somewhere the other day that research has been done that shows that people who lose weight on a VLCD are less likely to put all the weight back on.
Yep, that's true. If I get a chance I'll see if I can search it out at some point.

When I finally finish cd I plan to eat low gi, and keep away from sugar -

Possibly unrealistic though ;)

I think thats why you have to go through the stages with cd, in a way to retrain you to eat healthy for life.
Not necessarily. The plans really help for a number of reasons, but there's many steps after that to be a lifetime success.

there must be many many others who suceed but why would they come back on here, or come here for the first time, if they are slim and happy?

Now, that's a nice thought ;)

Afterall CD is a means to an end,, just the journey,,,
CD, like other diets takes you to the starting point, that's all.

"Aha.. you might be able to lose it, but what's the point when you are going to put it back on again!"
True. Those gremlins are nuts :D

Curly, i reckon once you get to goal and you carefully go up the steps, you will be slim forever!! And you are worth that!
Totally unrealistic...sorry :(

i've kept 4st off for just over 2 years, gained and lost the odd 9lbs at times like xmas but who doesnt......

I don't.

Maintaining by thinking in WW points but also keeping the Paul McKenna 'stopping when your full' thing seems to work best for me.

However, it sometimes can go wrong

Very true...so what didn't work? i think this is half the problem. People work within the box...with what they know. They try to do better with the way that failed them in the past. Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

I actually gained it through hitting a major low in the new year and ending up on prescription drugs that sucked the life out of me and made me inactive as well as increased my need to comfort eat the wrong types of food.
Ahh, so that's what went wrong :hug99: So next time you have to find a method so that when life is sucked out of you, you still wont want to eat too much.
I think CD is probably different to other diets in this sense because you are getting all the right nutrients. I reeally do think the problem occurs where emotional eating habits and poor lifestyle issues have not been tackled.
Very true, and most diets don't deal with this. They only deal with the food issue, and it's rare that food is the problem in the first place.

Or like me, try combining it with other diets and systems in order to learn about the nutriotnal/fat/calorie content in all different types of food and to get over emotional eating, etc.
Personally, I'm very cautious of any diet system for long life healthy eating. They are designed for weight loss and though they will try and convince you that it can be adapted for maintenance, I don't find they do it very successfully :(

so we can start to think that unhealthy habits are no big deal when we feel low because we can just go back to our good old friend, CD when we start gaining.
Very true. Same with other diets. I find it worrying. Like constantly throwing yourself into a wall knowing that you have a good cream to make the injuries better, rather than taking the next step of not throwing yourself into a wall.

Wow! There is some really sound advice here and I think I need to read KD's blog??? Is that right???

Don't have one really. I tend to jump of people's threads :D
In terms of other people and their opinion, does it really matter what they think?
Doesn't matter at all. We are all individual and have our own choices. Just because others make wrong ones doesn't mean that we have to :)

Must rush.....

hi curly,

I hear what you say about a lot of people coming back after putting it all back on. Well, those ppl are similar to me - but i came of the diet suddenly and did not do the maintenance - i literally just stopped, which is why i know after 2 years i have put most of it back on (im still 2 stone lighter than when i first started)
I think if you follow the plans up, you will keep it off. Just dont do what i did and stop suddenly and you'll be fine. We all will!

I think the main thing to remember is when we reach goal, its not the end of the diet. The cd has different sections to it that must be followed straight through to the end.

x x x

Ahh, so that's what went wrong :hug99: So next time you have to find a method so that when life is sucked out of you, you still wont want to eat too much.

Thanks, KD. :)

I don't think it was even a case of eating too much as such though. Probably more a case of the medication clouding my judgment and emotions.

I have maintained a healthy weight for years but always had that last stubborn stone cursing my life. I got rid of it with a couple of weeks on CD last year and kept it off by carrying on with my usual eating habits. Even through a period of incapacity, bereavement and over Christmas I managed to keep it off. Admittedly, I comfort eat a little now and again, but not excessively enough for it to make me gain weight. I think my problem may have been more to do with the tablets I was on making me not want to get out of bed, so where I would normally consume about 2100 cals I was needing a hell of a lot less because I was in bed most of the time. The tablets just made the depression worse and so I ate a lot of fast and convenient food because I didn't have the energy or the inclination to prepare or cook proper meals. I maybe craved the wrong foods because of being depressed but I think it was also because I was extremely fatigued. It was different to when I was immobile after my TT because I was really depressed, so there is obviously a negative mindset issue involved too.

A lot of speculation I know :) but it's the best way for me to try and figure out where I went wrong I suppose

One thing is for sure though... I'm feeling a whole lot more positive now and I intend to shift that last stubborn stone for good. :)

I am hoping I won't put it back on...what this diet has taught me is to appreciate my food - what I wouldn't give for a tuna salad at the moment...or even a cherry tomato!! Hopefully this mentality will stay with me...hopefully. For the moment I am focusing on losing the weight - will focus on maintaining when I reach goal....

Back