So thirsty

Nomore

I've had 6 litres of water today and I'm still thirsty I mean really thirsty like I've not had a drink all day. Mouth like a sand pit. Is this normal??

Thanks everyone. My CDC came back to me last night and said just drink between 2-4 litres and if I'm still thirsty suck on an ice cube I'll try that today and see. Yes spaced the water out through the day x

Drinking water is a double edged sword 2-4 litres is fine but if you are getting up to the 6 mark its actually quite dangerous.

Why would having 6 litres a day be dangerous? X

It is dangerous because it may create an electrolyte imbalance which in turn can lead to water poisoning. I had to google it myself at the start of the diet as my GP told me not to drink too much and I didn't dare questioning him at the time. See here.

Hope that helps :)

I drink 6-7 litres a day including tea/shakes....I googled it when I started too but found it to be 15 litres a day that affects the electrolyte? X

I am afraid I am not in any way medically qualified Loubylou, I just share my GP's advice. And it's when I goggled it that I understood what the potential problems could be. Why don't you ask your CDC? I know they have a team of medically trained people they can call if they have any question. :)

I think everyone is different about the amount of water they need, and if you drank lots before, you'll be needing even more to replace the water missing from eating food. It is really dangerous to drink lots and lots of water in one go, so of you are spacing it out through the day it's not quite so shocking! I'm starting soon and counted how
much I drank yesterday as an experiment and I easily had about 3 litres, and that's when I'm eating food too... So I'm guessing I'll be wanting plenty extra when I start.

That said- if you are feeling ill, talk to your dr and CDC and make sure you really spread that water out! :)

6 litres is an awful lot of water. It not only has an effect on the electrolytes but has the potential to quite literally, drown you.

Up to 4 is fine...any more and I'd be considering tests to see why I was so thirsty...

My CDC hasn't mentioned it being an issue before, it is all spaced out throughout the day though, probably a litre ever hour and half. I did used to drink about 3 litres a day + pop and stuff before I started this though xx

Did you know that our bodies can actually process 13 litres of water a day? I thought electrolytes was to do with a lot of exercise and then lots of water - but I'm not medically qualified either so dont take that as official lol. I would have thought 6 is ok as long as it is properly spread out through the day. I read some stories on people who are addicted to water and they have 6 litres a day. Personally I have between 4 and 5 litres a day as that's easily manageable for me as I have always been a fan of water. I would stick to the recommended amount though - between 2 and 4. Xx

I used to always drink two litres of water before CD and never understood why people struggle to drink that amount normally... It's only two litres! I drink around 5/6 litres! I spoke to my GP and he said as I'm not eating I'd need more water...I'm never without my two litre bottle of water! Don't forget we also sweat out about two litres of water a day not to mention all the new trips to the toilet we're making with all this new water!

Rider I didn't know we could process a whopping 13 litres a day! That's insane! I think if you drink a massive amount of water in a crazy short time it'll make you ill! But if you're not used to drinking water normally like rider's already said best stick to the 2-4 litres a day!

I think I'll be alright with
What I'm doing then, been doing cd since April and it's not made me Ill or anything :) thanks for all the info tho guys :D xx

When I did CD before I was drinking 3-6 litres a day with my GP approval simply because I needed it, I used to always drink least 2 litres prior to doing CD.

Now I am only managing 2-4 litres (yesterday was 5 was decorating).

As long as you space it out and pee you be fine.

Back