So we're making Hot Browns on Sunday...

Sally_Cinnamon

doesn't have a witty name
...and I'm not sure how best to work out the syns.

The Hot Brown, for those in the UK, is a yummy Kentucky dish. Basically, it's a thick slice of toast (or two, depending where you go...) topped with thick slices of turkey breast, sliced tomato, and a couple of rashers or bacon. The whole lot is then placed on a plate, smothered in cheese sauce and grated cheese and grilled until the cheese is bubbly. And they're flippin' delicious.

Because it's the Kentucky Derby on Sunday we're having family over to watch the race and make Hot Browns. I want to be able to enjoy a Hot Brown with the rest of the family, although I know I'm going to have to make some serious compromises.

I'm thinking I either need to have an Extra Easy day or a Red day, but I don't fully understand EE days yet. Here's my thought process regarding syns...

Bread - HEB (The bread I use is 35 cals a slice, I count 4 slices as 1 HEB plus 1 extra syn)
Turkey & Bacon - will be free on EE and Red
Tomato - will be free on EE and Red

Then comes the cheese and the cheese sauce, and I'm not sure of the best way to figure this out. I need milk (we use skimmed) and cheese--am I best to do a Red day so that I can have milk as a HEA and 1oz of cheese as an additional HEB? I know I'll need to syn the flour for the sauce (3.5 syns per tbspn, right?) and I know I can have 2oz cheese if I use a low-fat cheddar rather than a regular cheddar. But how many syns are in an ounce of regular cheddar if I go over?

Help!!! Please!

Forgot to mention...I do plan on having a big plate of either salad or veggies with my Hot Brown. Got to redeem myself somehow... :D

Ah, good thinking. So, if I do an EE day I can just have either 1oz of regular cheese or 2oz of reduced fat cheese as my HEA for that day, and I can still fill up on other free foods during the day. Sounds good to me. And I suppose if I was really desperate for a splash of cheese sauce I could syn it?

I'd forgo the cheese sauce for sure!

You can only have 1.5 ounces of reduced fat cheese (42g) not 2 oz though and it is not a B choice on a red or EE day, only an A choice.

So, I'd suggest an EE day with your B choice as bread and A choice as cheese. If you want extra cheese or sauce then syn it.

They sound lovely btw, I think I might make these!

You might want to double check your bread though. For a HEB you can have 57g of wholemeal bread and I'd be surprised if you can get four slices for that.

unless you plan to have potaoes pasta or rice I would go with a red day and then you can have 2 Heb and 2 HeA meaning you could even make the cheese sauce using your milk and synning some low fat cheese 42g is 6 syns an ounce would be 4 and providing you only use one HeB on your bread you will have one left to use later in the day

Or have a flexi day set an upper limit of syns and treat yourself to to a nice portion and syn whatever isnt free but still have your normal 15 syns on top and the rest of the day eat on plan.

I think we all need the occasional day where we have a bit of a blow out as long as you stay in control it wont do any harm

Back