So, what are you lot reading?

a great site i go on is readitswapit.co.uk just join up, list your books you have read that you dont want anymore and you can request books you like on there i have swaped over 400 books in 3 years it saves me tons

Reading a freebie from She mag at the moment, written by Penny Smith (GMTV) which is very light-hearted and easy to read! I'm due to read Pride and Prejudice again soon, lost count how many times I've read it now but I just love it and all JA books! xxx

I have read Pride and Prejudice so many times! But my favourite Jane Austen novel is Persuasion. I found an audio book on cassettes (remember those!!) of Persuasion, read by Anna Massey, in a charity shop for just a few pounds, and I listen to it if I have drive a long distance. It is such a wonderful story.

I like Emma, too.

Actually, I haven't read any Jane Austen for ages - must rummage on the shelves and find her again!!

a great site i go on is readitswapit.co.uk just join up, list your books you have read that you dont want anymore and you can request books you like on there i have swaped over 400 books in 3 years it saves me tons

Just had a look at their website and it looks really interesting. I have far too many books that I won't ever read again.

Thanks very much for this information!

no probs its been a long time since i have actually bought a book full price lol

ebay/amazon are really good as well :)

They certainly are - also I use Abebooks a lot.

AbeBooks Official Site - New & Secondhand Books, New &Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books

They act as a sort of clearing house for second hand booksellers all over the UK - and indeed all over the world - and it is great for finding obscure books. My sister got a paperback novel sent to her from a bookseller in New Zealand - she had been looking for it for years. And I bought a lovely old book which had been privately published in Broadway (UK!) in 1911, and which I had only seen once in a museum, from a bookseller in Rhode Island, USA, for a very reasonable price.

Beware, though - it can be addictive!!

It's also worth having a look to see if there is a book crossing zone near you. I have one in my local Starbucks and it's brill. Basically you can register books on the BC website and it gives them a tracking number and you can leave them anywhere, benches, parks, etc. People then go online and say that they have "caught" the book and you can track it where it goes. Pretty nifty idea. But to save you having to stumble across them there are Official Book Crossing Zones (OBCZ) where there is usually a book shelf & people drop books off in quantity and you can add to them too.

Google book crossing for exact details :D

Support your public library - before someone decides that no-one reads books any more and turns it into an internet cafe!!

I have just looked in the bag in which I keep my library books and totted up the cover prices - there's over £150 worth of books in there!!

And I am not paying anything for them - well, in a way I am because I pay my council tax.

If I don't like a book, I don't feel I have to finish it because I have paid for it - back it goes. And I get the latest novels in hardback - don't have to wait until they come out in paperback.

Seriously - use it or lose it. Some councils would just love the excuse to close down their libraries and sell off that valuable real estate! Luckily I live in Reading which has an excellent library service and a council committed to it.

*puts hand up* I'm a local library supporter :D

oo have to check this out, thank you

They certainly are - also I use Abebooks a lot.

AbeBooks Official Site - New & Secondhand Books, New &Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books

They act as a sort of clearing house for second hand booksellers all over the UK - and indeed all over the world - and it is great for finding obscure books. My sister got a paperback novel sent to her from a bookseller in New Zealand - she had been looking for it for years. And I bought a lovely old book which had been privately published in Broadway (UK!) in 1911, and which I had only seen once in a museum, from a bookseller in Rhode Island, USA, for a very reasonable price.

Beware, though - it can be addictive!!

i generally can not find the books that I like but when I have finished I give my books as a donetation to the library so someone else can read them (polish me halo :) )

Support your public library - before someone decides that no-one reads books any more and turns it into an internet cafe!!

I have just looked in the bag in which I keep my library books and totted up the cover prices - there's over £150 worth of books in there!!

And I am not paying anything for them - well, in a way I am because I pay my council tax.

If I don't like a book, I don't feel I have to finish it because I have paid for it - back it goes. And I get the latest novels in hardback - don't have to wait until they come out in paperback.

Seriously - use it or lose it. Some councils would just love the excuse to close down their libraries and sell off that valuable real estate! Luckily I live in Reading which has an excellent library service and a council committed to it.

Just came back to this post. Thanks for all of your responses. Ive just finished twighlight. Nothing like the feeling of finishing a book aye? Dunno what it is it just gives a sense of achievement in the belly.

Keep those reads coming :D x

I just finished reading One Day by David Nichols which follows the lives of two people that met the day they graduated in the late 80s, and each chapter is the same date the following year. I laughed all the way through, with a few pauses for tears, but I could not put it down.

Have Finished The Emperor series by Conn Iggulden and starting the ghengis khan series he wrote....absolute genius...completely addicted :D

so addicting I am actually missing The Emperor Series, I want to read it again lol :p

Back