So You're Thinking Of Starting Atkins

Hi
I am quite new to this site though i have done Atkins before. That doesnt mean i know it all, i have probably forgotten a lot of it. The biggest problem i fine being from England is that all the books and sites etc being predominantly American i cant always find answers about products or for eg, some vegetables have different names etc, lots of recipes have ingredients i dont know and cant get which is a bit frustrating. Determined to stick with it and trying to make it varied and more interesting on induction!

i have to say that this is a great post, very helpful, especially when i want to check something and cant be asked to go dig out the book and find the relevant part! one question, which is the best version of atkins diet to follow? not in terms of health but in terms of everything weight loss especially! i am not on the whole an unhealthy eater, i take care to eat the right vitamins and take suplements where need be. just wondering which version do you actually prefer to follow?

These stickies don't get checked as much as the other parts of the forum and I'm not sure Jim looks anywhere but his diary anymore but AFAIK he follows the 1972 or 1990s Atkins diet - written before doctor Atkins died.

IMO those are the best to use for weight loss - the diet advice itself doesn't change much but Atkins was against polyols and 'fake' foods etc but in the new books written by the Atkins company they recommend using lots of their products - which the majority of people stall or even gain using. Dr Atkins wanted people to lose weight. The company, and new books, just want you to buy their products.

OIC that explains a lot, i have a copy of the old book somewhere that came with the original atkins answer pack i bought back in the day, i will hopefully find that in my black hole of a bedroom in the deepest darkest corner no doubt.

I tried the Atkins diet and found it difficult. Mostly it completely constipated me. I thought I'd never poo again. In retrospect I don't trust a diet that doesn't encourage plenty of fruit and vegetables. I also don't like the sugar substitutes. I'd favour Xylitol or Stevia as better sugar replacements. (nb keep xylitol away from pets as it's highly toxic to them).

Good luck with your diets. I just eat healthily now and I'm at my optimum weight. I still overeat sometimes but I compensate at other meals or the next day. I NEVER go hungry. I NEVER count calories. I NEVER weight myself. Life is so much better without the rules and scales.

Kisses

If you weren't eating plenty of vegetables and fruit like rhubarb - great for keeping you regular - then I suspect you weren't doing Atkins right. Great to hear you found a way that worked for you though - I feel much the same - healthy, not deprived, not hungry, not bloated - on Atkins.

Hey guys, good morning to all, I'm starting Atkins today, I have 6 stone, I would like to lose, but I will be happy with each 1lb that goes, I don't have to be convinced Atkins works, I've done this before, I know Carbs for me are not ideal for my body type,
I will be keeping a diary, (just have to find where it is on here )
Hope I don't drive you mad with questions
Love
Joanne x

hi i am thinking about do Atkins i am currently on my first week of LT but i cannot stomach any of it and feel so sick not eating, i need a low/no carb diet and figure this should be good for me any tips would be gratfully received....

Hiya everyone today I save started the Atkins diet. I did it last year for my wedding with good results. then I went back to my old ways, and the weight has come back. It's now time to get rid of it for good so I am going to start the Atkins diet again I will try and keep a diary of what I am eating any tips would be greatly received

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I don't get over to the main forum anymore, but it used to be a great place to be, very active and loads of good advice.

hello, i am new, and not sure if im posting in the right place, i did atkins ten yrs ago, did very well, got to goal and never really put any back on, then i lost my husband in 2008, so am now 10st 9lb and desperate to lose it, tried weight watchers, but i allways end up going back to atkins, it seem harder second time round, anyone else find that ??

Hi Gel, yeah I'll agree with you. It is harder when you start again.. but keep focused, keep checking in here for motivation and you'll do it.. I'm half way through week 2 of induction.. so a long way to go .. but I"m checking in a few times a day for tips, and support. and to keep reminding myself why I"m doing this :)

Look forward to sharing this journey with you.

Louise

Thanku, my pc is down at the moment, I am glad I joined the forum, up till now I only read it lol, but it is really helpfull readin what everyone has to say :)

Sent from my SM-T210 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Wondering if I could put down what I am eating so that someone could cast an eye over it for me?? Not going great as I don't feel as if I've lost anything 2 weeks in!!

So on the Atkins you don't worry about the calories just counting carbs or fat content and max is 20g in induction. Phase 1

Back