So You're Thinking Of Starting Atkins

Can anyone explain why doing a low fat version of Atkins would slow weight loss?

I have been trying to do this.. Cutting off the fat etc as I thought it would be better for you??

Can anyone explain why doing a low fat version of Atkins would slow weight loss?

I have been trying to do this.. Cutting off the fat etc as I thought it would be better for you??

I'm not sure why but I'm sure if you google you will find the answer. My trainer told me fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do. So I just believe him and enjoy the cheese haha xx

First of all have you'll need to read the chapter in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR) that talks about Induction. Read and reread it making notes. This will be your foundation, and where you'll get the list of allowed foods for the period that you will spend on the 1st phase of the program.

The Dukan diet is like a low fat version of atkins, but much more limited than atkins as you have at least 2 days of pure protein, no fat or carbs at all! A friend of mine did it and lost a lot of weight very quickly, but it's much harder to stick to long term.

Nett carbs is what you get when you deduct fibre, but we don't do that on English/EU products as the fibre is already deducted on the carb count love.

Incredibly theres a group on Facebook, claiming to be a Low Carb group. I had a long discussion with a woman who said you don't deduct the fibre from the carbs. I explained to her about the difference in nutritional labelling between UK and US but she insisted Atkins only meant the deduction to be done for convenience foods. I quoted Atkins DANDR and she still disputed it. THEN I posted a couple of photos from DANDR and his carb calculator book, and she lost her temper and deleted all my posts. I then realised she was one of the Admins, ROFL. I shouldnt laugh, I mean, that woman is advising people on how to do Low Carb and sees herself as an authority because she has all Atkins books....... I left the group.

Seriously, I was beginning to wonder if I had been wrong all these years (since 2003). No one else joined in to correct her and I was left wondering if people were either brainwashed by her, or too scared to correct her.

Last edited:
Hi all, im hoping to start next wk, can i ask what you mean by deducting the fibre from the net carbs please? Im also wanting to get a book, is there a up to date version i should be looking for? Thank you x

Hiii, if you live in the States, the nutritional info is displayed differently on food. IE the fibre needs to be deducted from the carbs to get the Net Carbs. Whereas in the UK it has already been deducted, so you just look for the carbs on food in the UK and what you see ARE the Net Carbs. I hope this helps you. As a matter of interest, if you join Fatsecret, they have a nutrition tracker that can be set to display Net Carbs. :D Its VERY handy. As for books, the last book Dr Atkins wrote himself, was "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution". Any books since then are not something I know much about apart from the fact they seem to push Atkins products (bars etc). Best wishes. x

Hi lynne, im in ireland, ive ordered 2 books, 1 is rhe 1st 2 weeks atkins made easy and the other is atkins for life kit
Ive tried loads over the years and lose then put on. Im hoping this works, whats the average loss ever week xx

Back