some questions

Hezz123

Hi everyone, there's a couple of questions been buzzing around in mu head I wonder if you guys can help. This is going to be a long one so I apologise in advance!
1. Obviously if we eat to much we gain weight, but I keep reading things about how if we don't eat ENOUGH, we won't lose weight. I just cannot get my head around this, surely if we eat less an exercise more we lose weight? for example the super skinnys on supersize v superskinny, those people eat waaaaaaay less than an average person and yet according to this theory, their body should be holding onto any extra fat and they wouldn't lose weight? Not that im saying I approve of their tiny diets, not at all, but its confusing me.

2. The whole maintenance thing. I keep reading that if we lose weight too fast, there's no way we will be able to maintain it and the weight will pile back on. I'm losing weight at about 2-3lbs per week, which is fairly fast, but its not due to starving myself. I eat when im hungry, drink lots of water and exercise every day, but I wouldn't say im overdoing it. So surely when I get to my goal weight, gradually come off slim fast and carry on eating a healthy balanced diet, surely im not going to pile 5 stone back on overnight?

Sorry if I sound totally stupid or ignorant, but these things have me thinking! Any help is much appreciated :)
Xx

you need to eat enough for your body. have you worked out how many cals you should be having?.... How Many Calories Do I Require To Lose Weight?

also, have you worked out your bmr?..BMR Calculator

your body needs a certain amount of cals a day just to be alive. thats just laying in bed all day. thats your bmr. say its 2500. eat 2500 cals day and you will stay the same weight.

you want to lose weight so to lose 2lb a week you need to have 7000 less cals a week (1lb of fat is 3500 cals) . so 2500 x 7 (days) = 17500 (per week) - 7000 (to lose 2 lbs) = 10500 (per week) divided into days is 1500 cals a day.

if you have 1500 cals a day you will lose 2 lb a week. if you have less than 1200 cals your body will panic and start holding onto the fat and your metabolism will slow down because its not having enough calories to sustain a high metabolic burn. if you consistently have all your cals, it will keep your metabolism at a steady rate and in turn, you will lose the weight.

as for the superskinny people, freaks of nature as far as im concerned, they are skinny to begin with so need less calories to be alive, so they get away with eating less.

the maintaining thing, im far from that stage at the mo, but from what i understand...

if you eat considerably less on your diet, you will lose weight fast. so you get to 10 stone (if thats your goal) after eating 600 cals a day for 6 months, you can fit into your jeans, and life is good, you can give up on the diet. so, u go back to eating what you used to, maybe 1600-2000 cals a day, well your body has got used to living on 600 cals a day, if you start feeding it 3 times that amount, of course you're going to pile the weight back on!

mfp tells me to have 2210 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week. this is coz im huge. but, it makes more sense to eat more while im still big and gradually decrease the calories as i lose weight, to keep the same rate of weight loss going. so when i finally get to goal, i will have edged my cals down, and my body will have shrunk along with my cals, so the metabolism is consistent, so then i can still eat what i need to maintain. which by then will prob be 1300 - 1400 cals a day, and thats fine for me. thats a fair amount.

does that make sense?!

you need to eat enough for your body. have you worked out how many cals you should be having?.... How Many Calories Do I Require To Lose Weight?

also, have you worked out your bmr?..BMR Calculator

your body needs a certain amount of cals a day just to be alive. thats just laying in bed all day. thats your bmr. say its 2500. eat 2500 cals day and you will stay the same weight.

you want to lose weight so to lose 2lb a week you need to have 7000 less cals a week (1lb of fat is 3500 cals) . so 2500 x 7 (days) = 17500 (per week) - 7000 (to lose 2 lbs) = 10500 (per week) divided into days is 1500 cals a day.

if you have 1500 cals a day you will lose 2 lb a week. if you have less than 1200 cals your body will panic and start holding onto the fat and your metabolism will slow down because its not having enough calories to sustain a high metabolic burn. if you consistently have all your cals, it will keep your metabolism at a steady rate and in turn, you will lose the weight.

as for the superskinny people, freaks of nature as far as im concerned, they are skinny to begin with so need less calories to be alive, so they get away with eating less.

the maintaining thing, im far from that stage at the mo, but from what i understand...

if you eat considerably less on your diet, you will lose weight fast. so you get to 10 stone (if thats your goal) after eating 600 cals a day for 6 months, you can fit into your jeans, and life is good, you can give up on the diet. so, u go back to eating what you used to, maybe 1600-2000 cals a day, well your body has got used to living on 600 cals a day, if you start feeding it 3 times that amount, of course you're going to pile the weight back on!

mfp tells me to have 2210 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week. this is coz im huge. but, it makes more sense to eat more while im still big and gradually decrease the calories as i lose weight, to keep the same rate of weight loss going. so when i finally get to goal, i will have edged my cals down, and my body will have shrunk along with my cals, so the metabolism is consistent, so then i can still eat what i need to maintain. which by then will prob be 1300 - 1400 cals a day, and thats fine for me. thats a fair amount.

does that make sense?!

OK...So...I've worked out that I need to eat 2750 cals to maintain the weight I'm at just now. So that would mean dropping to 1750 cals a day to lose 2lbs a week. Eek that's a good couple of hundred more than I'm eating daily just now. For example today i've eaten:

shake 230 cls
snack 84 cals
shake 230 cals
Snack 45 cals
meal of low fat canneloni with vegetables 495 cals

1084 cals in total today - but I don't feel hungry enough to eat much more right now! I suppose I need to eat more snacks, its just finding time during the day to fit them in! and because I'm drinking lots of water I never feel particularly hungry. I guess I need to start eating more fruit/snacks to build up my calories. I don't want the weight loss to stop.

Do you find that your weight loss is better since you worked out you BMR/Calorie needs?

Thank you so much for this, I can get my head round it a bit better now! Maybe I can have an ice cream tonight after all.....................

xx

Yes absolutely. My losing has defo improved. After 2 weeks on sf I started putting on weight!

I have been alternating days and having more on one day, less on the other and that's working for me too. I have the same amount of cals weekly but say 2500 on one day and 1000 another and that's boosted my weightloss. It gives u that extra room if you go out or have a takeaway. You know you can fit it in and not feel guilty xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Cool, it makes sense now. Thanks! But I'll be so disappointed if I weigh on Sunday and I've not lost anything just because iv not eaten enough. Starting tomorrow I'll eat a bit more each day, or alternate like you say.
Xx

Back