Somebody Said It Was Dangerous To Have Alcohol On Ss Is This True

peackie

i HEARD SOMEWHERE THAT IT WAS DANGEROUS TO DRINK ALCOHOL ON SS AND I WONDERED WHY JUST IN CASE I GRAB A DRINK IN A WEAK MOMENT OR A SPECIAL OCCASION

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

xxx

Omg Thanx For That So You Have To Come Out Of Ketosis Before Thinking Of Having A Weekend Off I Assume I Have A Weekend Away In November And I Will No Doubt Have A Drink Then

I drink alcohol a few times a week to no adverse affect. Have been doing this since last Xmas and have SS'd for the majority of this time.

My Doc says that drinking alcohol whilst in ketosis can cause ketoacidosis - the acidifying of the blood - which can KILL you.

Sounds pretty dangerous to me!

If I'm on SS and am planning a big night out where I want to drink I actually eat that day to pull myself out of ketosis - light meals that include carbs but not really stodgy breads. If I get very drunk I will eat light meals the next day afterwards.

I don't go out very often and manage the restarts ok.

I must ask my counsellor about this one. Any counsellors on here got an opinion? I am thinking about Christmas....

That's a really scary thought...!

I've been sole sourcing since July and a few weeks back I had champagne with a hotel breakfast (all proteins) and the champagne took effect really quickly. I seldom had alcohol before SS and CD. I also had a few protein foods night before as well.

It scares me to think the champagne could have had such an adverse effect though.

Weekend I was at the hotel was not an add a meal week (sshhh hope my counsellor isn't reading). I am likely to be in a similar situation within the coming fortnight and would think twice about alcohol consumption now.

Back