Something i still dont get... losing inches but not weight

mrsessex

Gold Member
Ok..not really speaking for myself as my weight seems to balance as much as my inches, but read so often people lose inches and not weight for weeks

How? :confused: exactly does this happen :confused:

It happened to me for a few weeks and I was gutted. I know it doesn't make sense to be gutted as it's the inch loss that gets us into smaller clothes and I shouldn't put so much hope in the scales, but I can't help it.

To be honest my CD and I didn't manage to get to the bottom of why it was happening to me as I hadn't done anything differently, had been SS 100% the whole time but my losses slowed from an average of 5lbs per week to 0.4lbs one week, 1.4lbs another week, 2.2lbs the next week... I was gutted and did a lot of moaning on the forum and probably would have given up apart from the encouragement on here :)

But I was still losing inches and although my losses still aren't as fast as they used to be, they are picking up again. It's a mystery! People suggested maybe my body was just catching up because I'd had some big losses up until then, but really it's very difficult to pinpoint an exact cause. It *might* have been the bars because I was having one per day so I've cut it down to three per week of just the peanut ones.

Anyone else had similar experiences at all?

Yes......after only losing 4lbs in 3 weeks, I put some trousers on that didn't fit me 3 weeks ago and now they are loose?! But only lost 4lbs weird! x

There's actually a difference between losing weight and losing body fat. That's why you can't really rely on the scales too much! Because you may be building up muscle, which weighs more than fat. So it is likely that they've lost fat mass but gained the same in muscle, though it's less muscle and fat. It's like, think about it, a body builder's weight will be huuuuuge, but that doesn't mean they're fat or even overweight. Just muscle weighs a lot. I guess that's why it's better to go by how you feel, how loose your clothes are getting etc. If anyone is in doubt, you should get your body fat checked, or use an online calculator. It'll show how even if you haven't lost weight, because you've lost inches, you've lost body fat.

A decent one is...

Body Fat Calculator - Calculate Your Body Fat and Body Composition

That help at all?

i haven't lost any weight in the last 2 weeks but i am wearing trousers and tops that wouldn't have fit me 2 weeks ago so i have lost fat but built muscle with all the excercise i have been doing.

i feel slimmer even though i know the scales haven't moved! its too easy to get hung up on the number on the scale.

Yeah after a sts I am trying to avoid the scales, offical wi tomoro but i know I have lost inches just wishing i had done my measurements. Might get them done tomoro

Back