Cruise PV Something special for dinner

KidA

I've invited a friend for dinner tomorrow night. Fortunately it's my first PV day which makes it slightly less of a problem than it might have been, but still, I want to make something tasty.

I've just been out and bought the Recipe book, so will look through that, but does anyone know of anything that sticks to the rules but comes across as a bit special?

I suppose whatever I do I could do some potatoes of some description on the side for her!

Last night I made some really tasty marinaded chicken kebabs with green salad and chargrilled vegetables. Also made a mayo dip (I'm doing atkins at the mo) but you could use yoghurt with fresh herbs etc. Then just some cous cous for all the others to have. I love using cous cous, just pour water one out of the kettle so it feels like not making any extra effort for something I can't have! Can you let me know what the recipe book is like? I haven't seen it but tempted to get it!

Thanks Becky. Chicken it is and I'm going to make the flan for pud.

Initial impressions of the recipe book are that the recipes are pretty quick and easy. It's probably worth a flick through next time you're passing a bookshop. It seems to cover a good variety and the recipes are neatly divided up into things you can have on PP days and things you can have on PV days etc. I started this diet with no idea how many delicious things you could eat!

do have a look in our recipe section too there are some great things the girls have come up with ......

Hi KidA, you've prompted me to add this one. This is a dinner-party staple of mine as its quite impressive served in a big bowl with loads of seafood (though I did used to serve over spaghetti... that bit's gone!) I adjusted slightly (only had to remove Olive Oil) and I've made a huge batch since starting Cruise and use it on PV days. Its great to have on hand. Will post in recipes too:

[FONT=&quot]Dukanized Cioppino[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup fresh basil leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 garlic cloves, peeled[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 medium onion chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2x400 g can chopped tomatoes, undrained [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 x Tbsp Tomato paste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ cup dry white wine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tbsp Splenda (or like)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp oregano (Mediterranean is BEST)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Season to taste (I add cayenne for pep)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For Special Meal:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seafood to add last[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Need to be alive when bought and cleaned before cooking.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]500g raw cleaned shrimp (I leave tails on when serving for a dinner party)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 dozen mussels and 1 dozen clams if you can get [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1kg white fish (deboned and cut into pieces) – use anything… haddock or cod[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Directions[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Rub oil in large Dutch oven medium heat.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Chop parsley and basil coarsely.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Add garlic to electric chopper or food processor, then parsley and basil for a few seconds. Add all to pan.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Pulse onion in processor and also add to oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sauté about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Season to taste [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Add tomatoes, paste, water, wine, sugar, salt, oregano, and pepper to pot. Cover and simmer over medium to low heat for 30 minutes at least – I personally let them simmer for nearly 2 hours over low heat. (You can make this part a day ahead and refrigerate.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I use the tomato base for loads of Dukan meals – meatballs, seafood, prawns only. Just heat up the (soup base) and then add meat or whatever you like or nothing at all – my daughter eats just like soup.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you are making it proper for a special meal follow these instructions just before serving:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Add clams and mussels to soup and simmer about 15 minutes or until shells pop open. Then add all remaining fish and shrimp and cook for 5-10 minutes more.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Serve[/FONT]

Thanks so much for posting that, Sosh. I can see how well that could work with just about anything!

One of my favourites is Stuffed aubergines baked in the oven. there is a recipe somewhere in the recipe thread, and inspired by that I just adapted a normal recipe by using extra lean mince and no oil. In short:

(dry)Fry onions, garlic, extra lean mince,
add a tin of tomatoes, herbs or spices to taste (oregano, paprika)
simmer, maybe add some tomato puree too.
Take aubergines, halve, score flesh on cut side and bake for 20 mins.
When starting to soften, scoop out some of the flesh (add to the mince if you like), and then put the mince into the aubergine shells and bake for another 30 mins or so.

Sorry I have no specific quantities, adapt at will, just don't use any oil or butter, for temperatures - you should be able to get those by looking at similar recipes, I would guess. 180-200C

Went down a storm with my non-dieting guests, served with rice for them, and without for me. You could also make Tzatziki to go with it (yoghurt with garlic and cucumber).

Back