Soooo Frustrated!!!

libelule

Week 4 of SW and I have been entirely on plan - grand total weight loss (after a 2lb gain at weigh in this morning) - 1lb!!!!!

How do I stay motivated??!! :(

By changing it up a bit. Swap your B choices, change your breakfasts, use your syns on different things. If you spent all last week spending them on treats, try spending them on food instead.
Make sure you're getting enough water, and try a new recipe there are loads.

Are you sure there's nothing 'extra' creeping in and that your having 1/3 superfree with your meals?
Have you got a typical days food diary for us to look at? x

As above can you post a food diary? Which plan are you following? How many syns are you having a day? Have you been eating enough? Are you drinking water? You must be frustrated but there has to be a reason :thinking2:

Also-how much weight do you have to lose? If you're already in a healthy bmi then the weight will come off slower x

To be honest I think that if you've only lost a pound in four weeks then something is going badly wrong. Post a typical food diary so people can check it out. Do you go to group? If so what does your consultant say? I'm not surprised your frustrated - I would be too!

That certainly puts my STS on week 3 into perspective! Hope you manage to work out if there's a problem x

Last edited:
Are you doing ee?!

Could you try original plan - my first month was very similar! Once I switched I started loosing! X

Thanks for your feedback, I'm doing SW online from the US. There are no local groups so I'm totally reliant on doing this myself. The only option here in the US is EE so that is what I am following. Here is a typical day from my food diary.

Food Diary:

B: Turkey bacon (free) , 2 oz wholewheat bread (HEXB) kiwi fruit, melon
Morning snack: grapes (sometimes a hard boiled egg)
L: huge salad (salad leaves, celery, cucumber) with canned tuna fish, apple, pear (salad dressing 3 syns)
Afternoon snack: Yoplait yogurt (2 syns)
D: Homemade minestrone soup (made with celery, onion, carrots, courgette, canned tomatoes, passata, 1 stock cube, dash worcestershire sauce, kidney beans, frozen spinach, used light cooking spray to fry onions), baked potato with mozarella cheese (HEXA), pear

This is a pretty typical day for me, I have only been cooking SW friendly recipes for dinner and usually stick to salad or soup for lunch. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I'm not really using my syns on chocolate or dessert although occasionally I have a glass of wine (5 syns). I try to avoid dairy due to health issues but I have been adding it because there aren't too many options for HEXA (and here EE says to have 2 HEXA a day)

I also run 3 times a week (training for a 10k) and am up to 3.5 miles each time.

Water is a problem for me - I try to drink 2 litres a day, not sure that I achieve it every day (maybe this is the issue now I am thinking about it???)

My start weight was 160 - I'm trying to get to 140 which is in the healthy BMI range

The first thing that comes to mind is that you don't mention any real portion sizes and it is hard for us to gauge how much you are eating, even if it is the right stuff.

What was your diet like before? Is this a big change for you? If so your body may well just be reacting to the change and retaining a lot of water. If this is the problem, it will pass - but you must get those fluids into you. Your body can't do an efficient job of digesting your food and breaking down fat if it isn't well enough lubricated.

Also, do you eat practically the same things every day (even if there are little variations)? In this situation it could be that your body has become accustomed to your diet and you need to change it up, as Mandy said. You need to keep your body guessing. Try new foods, change around the time of day you have your HEXs, have some days mostly protein based and others mostly veg/healthy carb based.

As you say water is a problem, what do you drink? How much?

The first thing that comes to mind is that you don't mention any real portion sizes and it is hard for us to gauge how much you are eating, even if it is the right stuff.

What was your diet like before? Is this a big change for you? If so your body may well just be reacting to the change and retaining a lot of water. If this is the problem, it will pass - but you must get those fluids into you. Your body can't do an efficient job of digesting your food and breaking down fat if it isn't well enough lubricated.

Also, do you eat practically the same things every day (even if there are little variations)? In this situation it could be that your body has become accustomed to your diet and you need to change it up, as Mandy said. You need to keep your body guessing. Try new foods, change around the time of day you have your HEXs, have some days mostly protein based and others mostly veg/healthy carb based.

As you say water is a problem, what do you drink? How much?

Hi Sheanin

Portion size, I haven't really been measuring as I thought that SW didn't require that. I don't eat giant amounts of food but I don't eat bird sized portions either. Regular dinner plate size I suppose.

My diet was pretty healthy some of the time before I started SW but there were times when I fell into the fast food/eating out trap due to a combination of stress and laziness. It's a real effort to eat healthily here in the US (and I'm 35lbs heavier than when I lived in the UK as a result!) . I was also not working out at all (and hadn't for over 6 months). I chose SW because I wanted to eat more like I did when I was living in the UK, plus I really like my carbs and I'm not prepared to give them up. I started exercising again at the same time I started SW.

I do tend to eat a lot of the same foods during the week as it is easier for me (busy job and an eight year old). I would say i drink roughly 40 oz water a day (just over a litre) plus one 12oz cup of coffee in the morning. I really just don't like the taste (or lack of) and I find it a real effort to chug down glasses of water at a time. I will persevere!

I think I will try to figure out the green days/red days and give that a go.

I really appreciate your help, I'm determined to make this work.

Maybe you need to up your syns? You could try having 10 a day and see how you get on. You always read on here that people don't lose when they're not making the most of their syns. Obviously don't force yourself if you really don't want to eat any more, but if you're exercising a lot too it's likely you need them.

Two big things that were spoken about in my group this week was ensuring you eat enough free foods as well as super free - you've reversed your plate remember 2/3s have to be free and only a 1/3 sfree!

And I agree eating your syns is key!!! I eat all 15 of mine a day!!! Xx

that's rubbish for you and very frustrating. I hope you work it out and the plan starts working for you x

I wonder why you get 2 hexa in the US on EE and not in the UK?
Im not disputing it, just wondered! Lol.
Up your water and and try have a few syns :) i eat all of mine nearly everyday! X

I wonder why you get 2 hexa in the US on EE and not in the UK?
Im not disputing it, just wondered! Lol.
Up your water and and try have a few syns :) i eat all of mine nearly everyday! X

I don't know why we get 2 HEXAs in the US - I'd rather have only 1 as milk and cheese are really not my thing. We only get 10 syns as well (rather than your 15).

Did u measure yourself when u started sw? If you've just started exercising aswel then it may take a few weeks to catch up xx

Attachments

• image-2967495735.jpg
    image-2967495735.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 167
My advice would be to slow up or stop the exercise for a week or two and see if this helps... Everytime I exercise when trying to lose weight it always and I mean ALWAYS slows down or stops my weight loss!!, it makes me eat more too and I makes me exhausted.....

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Agreed with Emma - you've just recently started exercising so that's probably it. Your body will hold more water during this time as it becomes used to the extra activity. I just started too but very slowly - I'm just walking every other day so that the impact is nice and gentle and I can slowly build it up. I find doing things this way is helping my weightloss as I've tried launching into intensive exercise at other times while trying to lose weight and like you, I found that very little came off in the first couple of months. That was enough to make me lose steam and give up. So perhaps you could slow down the exercise a little? I'd also recommend taking measurements as whatever you don't see on the scales is usually right there in inches!

Back