Sophie's Slimming World and Cinema critiques!

Wow, somehow the past few days I've found some momentum for exercise :D I've done 3 days of doing my arms work outs both first thing in the morning and before bed - I keep it in mind that I just have to do:
2 x 10 reps assisted pressups
2 x 20 reps bicep dips
30 sec plank
30 sec 8kg kettle lifts

So those exercises take less than 5 minutes, but I've started wearing my polar during them and when I look at the calories it really motivates me to keep going (because that stuff^ + warm up stretches only burns like 35 cal). Also if I have it in mind that I ONLY have to do that stuff^ then when I am actually doing it I realise it's not so awful and can push to do a bit more... so then I have been adding some cardio bursts (50 star jump bursts, skipping) and some core (crunches/bicycle crunches) and then some lying down arm weight exercises and I end up getting to like 75cal burnt (would probably be more since HRM's don't really measure strength exercises properly, mainly cardio) and then I get like "Come on, get to 100!!" so I push a bit more and then I do some cool down stretches and stuff and usually it's around 120 cal burnt, which isn't bad considering it was just meant to be a few dips and press ups :D

I've now actually decided to up that original plan listed above by 50%, so an extra ten press ups, 20 dips etc as a standard (i.e. if I don't continue to try hit 100cal) as that way doing that twice a day is like doing 3x the daily arm work out I used to do (I did it a while back for a month every day, lost 1" off arms, 2" off thighs and 2" off stomach!) so hopefully will see quicker results :D

Am feeling super pumped about it! And on top of that the other day I made a coffee (am new to coffee!) with 1.5tsp of granules and it made me SO HYPER that I ran upstairs and did an intense circuit exercises of that sort of stuff^ without pauses for like 20 mins and burnt 220 cal :D on top of my morning and bedtime routine... Woohoo!

Had a huge meal out yesterday for dad's birthday, it was mezze stuff at a greek restaurant but I tried to stick mainly to good things... Plus two glasses of wine ;) and on Sunday had a meal out with family too, but all food at home has been really good and easy to follow... Has made me realise how much hormones can really affect ability to diet... I used to rave on about how easy I found dieting and then suddenly I was struggling last year, and now it's become clear that the pill was causing me snacky cravings... Really happy to have my old appetite/cravings back ;)

So tonight I am meeting a friend in the eve for a cuppa tea, tomorrow kinda too, both times I'm going to try not to let evolve into a meal out- or choose healthily! Fri night will be a big drinking night, Sat might have some drinks too, but I'm going to be on the ball with red days otherwise and weirdly I'm not scared about potentially not losing this week because of that- now that things are less of a struggle I don't mind it being slowed down for a week or two... Just being able to focus on food again without going batsh*t crazy is really nice :)

That's really impressive about your exercise routines!! I've noticed I'm starting to get a bit competitive with myself and my Fitbit haha! I think once you start seeing the numbers you just want to keep pushing and trying to beat it don't you? It is a positive thing though if it helps us.

It's great that you are able to pick healthier options when you eat out. I really need to start working on that again. I used to be ok at it, but it's gotten pretty bad now. An all or nothing kinda deal *blush* I suppose it's probably because I don't eat out all that often and I don't want to "waste" it on a meal I could make at home ;)

I'm really glad you're feeling better after coming off the pill, I know it messes with a lot of people. I hated it!!xx

Hi Sophie!! I came across your diary 3 weeks ago and was so gripped by your writing that I've been reading a little each day since then and have just read it all!

I just wanted to say that whilst you might feel like you're struggling at the moment, you've been an amazing inspiration and I've learnt quite a bit from your diary (esp the recipe for latkes! Defo going to try and make those..)

You've achieved so much and your before and after pics are a fantastic way to remind yourself how far you've come. Good luck with continuing!

Hey Aymz! Wow, I'm so flattered to read your post :D thanks so much for the kind words and words of support! I'm really glad that my diary inspired you, can't believe I started it more than two years ago now!
I remember when I first nervouslt attempted Slimming World (had never dieted before) and I thought "It would just be a dream to fit into size 16 dresses and be able to shop at normal stores..." - it is nice to remember that and step back and remember that I have passed that goal, and totally don't appreciate myself for it ;)
Nearer goal has been harder but I've found a lot of obstacles when away from home (and that hormone changing pill!) - I hadnt post on here this week as had been away on a work trip, but for various reasons (mainly that I disagree with the company's new terms) it sounds like I wont be doing as many shoots abroad anymore.
A bit scary as that was such good money and now I will have to put effort into finding individual freelance jobs and working twice as hard for the same amount, but to continue under the new system with that company would have meant flying back early in the morning just a few hours of sleep after the 12hr film shoots, and I cant sleep on flights so what entails is 12-18hrs airport/flight/travel day (depending on if layover) feeling so physically ill from tiredness and mentally depressed in a way that affects me for days... I just wont put myself through that on the regular basis they expect.
So it looks like I wont be out of town as much, which on the up side means I can focus more on getting into a diet routine hopefully! Though this year a lot of my downfall comes from party nights out with too much booze methinks ;)
Anyway, tomorrow I will start gearing up towards approaching other companies (a lotta homework to do sorting through a tonne of footage and editing a new showreel) and will start being stricter about food again. Not going to lie, it's been a bad couple of weeks for food/drink so expecting a gain on the scales!

It's nice to hear from you again, Sophie! It does sounds like the company is expecting an awful lot from you with the travelling and it sounds like you have made the right decision. Life is for living and although I'm sure you enjoyed the travelling part once upon a time it sounds like you're no longer getting time to visit the country or really get to do anything but work. Not cool.

I echo Aymz, you've been a real inspiration to a lot of people. I remember last year having you're diary bookmarked as 'inspiration' so please stop being so hard on yourself. I know you feel down about the pesky 7lb but all in all it's a great achievement maintaining the way you have. Look at me, I've piled on the 4 stones I lost in 9 months and have to start again from zero :rolleyes:.

Wishing the best of luck for approaching new companies!xx

Ahh but pregnancy is to blame for that Sophie, stop being so hard on yourself!! Beautiful babe to show for it :D

Am trying not to be hard on self but am fed up at lack of progress for so long!

Didnt gain weight at last weigh in (expected to) but period week is quite forgiving like that! Had two very good, cleansing days but got quite drunk last night!

Last edited:
Hmmm I think pregnancy was an excuse rather than to blame!

I can understand you must be getting frustrated, it'll happen though - hang in there!x

Aw it must be a bit stressful with the thought of looking for more freelance work but you come first and you need to do something that works for you...it sounds like those long shoots with little sleep just weren't working so well.

On the plus side, like you said, it means more focus on the diet so good luck with that :)

Hello, Sophie from the future here :D this thread is long dead but I stumbled upon it and wanted to randomly update many years on.

It's amazing to think back to when I started this thread - obese, miserable about myself, always trying to hide my body and feeling so much shame, yet I had absolutely 0 expectation that I'd ever be able to slim down to a more normal size, it just seemed completely unachievable - a pipe dream.

When I started Slimming Wolrd at 20st 4lbs and a size 20-22, my goal was to fit into a size 16 dress so I could buy clothes at normal high street stores (and not relying on the plus sized ranges). I'm now 12st 3lbs and a size 12-14, I've lost a whopping 8 stone in total and 40% of my total body weight, it's so bizarre to imagine being that big now.
It's funny how over the years as I've met new people and it's occasionally come up that I used to be obese, people seem so shocked by this - viewing me as normal size or sometimes even 'slim'. I still feel big (being 6ft tall probably doesn't help!) but I'm definitely more at ease with myself.

I'm still insecure about my body, all the flabby saggy skin bits that were leftover once I'd lost the weight have become the new issue, but I feel fairly confident when clothed most of the time now at least :classic_tongue: (note to those who are doing what I did and just dieting to lose weight without moving a muscle- get exercising to tone as you go or you'll have all this loose stuff to replace your weight insecurity with!)

Maintaining has been a journey in its self (and I say 'maintaining' loosely, because in reality it's fluctuated up and down between around 14.5st to 11.10st). I'm currently firmly in the healthy BMI range and still battling with emotional eating and the urge to binge eat until I hurt... But I've definitely found balance. I've not followed any sort of diet plan for years now, I weigh every 2-4 weeks and note when I need to pick up the slack a bit but otherwise just try to balance good and bad food days :p

Since all of the emotional woes in this journal I've now been diagnosed with ADHD (which explains a lot of my oversharing, impulsivity, mood swings, etc!) and 'a history of BPD' (in case anyone is reading up on all the dire **** with my ex in the previous posts and thinking "Good lord she's a mess" - yep!). These just add to my dyslexia, dispraxia, anxiety disorder and (much better managed now) depression. In recent years I'm recognising how all these neurodivergencies affect my life and relationship with food (poor impulse control, emotional eating, etc). I was in a pretty bad mental health space whilst writing most of this journal, and losing weight didn't fix that for me like I think I hoped, but it did give me something to focus on, get motivated about and was the start of a series of self improvement :)

Most and foremost I came on here to say that this forum, writing this journal and the lovely words of people on here who supported me along the way, were imperative to my weight loss success. The SW weigh in groups I tried at the start really didn't suit me and this forum was instead the saving grace for keeping me on track - the reason I'd hold back on binging (fessing up sucked!), the motivation to get those bloody milestone stickers, exchanging banter and recipe ideas on other threads like this... It all really massively contributed to getting me to (and beyond!) my initial weight loss goals. So... A massive thank you to Minimins and everyone who played a part in my journal on here! <3 I still always link minimins to people who are struggling with weight loss and urge them to bite the bullet and shyly start their own thread as I once nervously did. Best of luck to anyone out there who still stumbles upon my ramblings!

x Sophie

Attachments

• pp1.jpg
    pp1.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 22
  • pp2.jpg
    pp2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • 21248207_10159107015155618_6375006508072446920_o.jpg
    21248207_10159107015155618_6375006508072446920_o.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
What an awesome update, thank you so, so much!

Back