Soup Challenge

Lianna

Silver Member
Right im am going to aim to make a different soup every week untill i am at target,, where do i start?? never made soup before and is a hand held food processer a good idea???

There are a few good recipes on the recipe threads Hun. Have you had a look?

No but i will :) do you think soups will boost my weight loss? x

I've been making some different soups just lately. I made the Chicken Chowder which was in the magazine last week. It was very nice and very filling. Very easy to make too.

I also made a Spicy Thai Pumpkin soup which was absolutely delish, but that one does have some syns (4 per bowl) but it's very tasty and ok for a change. The recipe is in the recipe folder.

I want a tasty carrot and ??? soup. Not sure whether to try carrot and coriander or Carrot and ginger.

If you are using speed foods in your soups (which most of them are), and as long as you are full, your weight loss will happen.

I made sweet potato & red onion soup last week. I have a mugful before each meal, to fill up a little. I use a handheld blender to whizz up my soups. Going to make a SW adapted French Onion soup this week.

Soups are a great way to up your vegetable intake and will definitely help your weight loss, particularly if they are filling.

As said there are lots of recipes on here so just do a search, or check out recipe sites like www.bbcgoodfood.com as most recipes can be made SW friendly.

Right gonna purchase my self a hand held blender and some new tubs to freeze some in and off i go :)

I just had carrot, butternut squash and ginger soup. Big bowl full. Made 2 servings so OH can have some when she gets home this evening. I thinks she's taken yesterdays left over pork and cheese burgers to work for her lunch.

A hand-held blender is great for soups as you can make them as smooth or as chunky as you like. Just go carefully, blitz in short bursts, and keep the blades under the liquid!

I got mine very cheaply ages ago from Tesco. I use it for my leek and potato soup - I blend half of it very smooth, then stir it back into the rest, so there are still some chunks of potato and leek in it.

Do you have the new magazine? There are a couple of pages of soup recipes in it. I made the carrot, coriander and lentil one which was so easy, super quick and lovely! The Italian tomato ones looks good, as does the Scotch Broth.
I am a big fan of soup, especially in this weather!

I have had soups every day since Saturday.
I have a SW 100 green recipe cookbook and there are some nice ones there, which I have done, but I tend to also make up as I go along.
I adore soup, so I make huge pots and freeze what I don't use. That way I can take out what I want for the evening and/or to take to work, and I have a little selection to chose from.
This week I have made a mixed veg soup, potato and leak and have just made the cauliflower and horseradish (from the book) but I added potato to make it thicker.
I take a flask of it to work and it is filling and yum.
I have a hand held blender which works like a dream. I bought it as a part of a beater set from Lidl's for about £6 a few years ago and hardly used any of them until rejoining SW and now they are both almost overused!

Right now sat in my slowcooker for tomorrows lunch is a new recipe I am trying "Pepper & Lentil Soup" - fingers crossed it tastes ok. Got the recipe out of a book of soup recipes I got cheap in Tesco (£2). It didn't say to do in the slowcooker but I am lazy - LOL !!!

Jill

Try roasting tomatoes and onions/leeks with some fresh basil and garlic. Blend it with some stock and if it is too runny add some instant mash or cooked rice to it

This thread reminded me of this one I used to make on Rosemary Conley - and it's only 0.5syn for the lot on SW;

Spicy Chilli Bean Soup
Serves 4

1 serving 163 kcal/2.7g fat
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Ingredients

• 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small red chilli, sliced
  • 1 x 225g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 x 225g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 large can chopped tomatoes
  • 600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree
  • 2 tsps chopped fresh oregano
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preperation

1. Preheat a non stick wok or frying pan.
  2. Dry-fry the onion and chilli for 4–5 minutes.
  3. Transfer to a saucepan and add the remaining ingredients.
  4. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
  5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Excellent thread- I was thinking the same thing.
I always struggle for cheap, syn free lunches for work in winter and home made soup could well be the answer.
I bought all the ingredients (so I thought) for tomato, lentil and bacon soup, plus two of the can shape /size clippit tubs to use for storage / transportation last night at Sainsburys, then got home and I'd forgotten to buy ONIONS of all things. I don't know anything to cook that doesn't need onions. Especially soups. Oh well, I'll do it tonight.

I have soup most days. It's cheap, filling, warming and full of goodness. I made the carrot & lentil one from the current SW mag too - I couldn't find red lentils, so used white ones and it was lovely. I also regularly use a spicy tomato recipe from an old SW magazine, as well as a chicken & tarragon from the Covent Garden soup book, substituting fromage frais for the cream.

I've been making soups since I started slimming world, as I am doing extra easy and having my Heb at breakfast. This week have made potato and leek soup and really looking forward to it! Usually my soups just evolve from what veggies etc are left in the fridge, some successfully some not so lol!!!

Helen xxx

Back