Soup-souls!!

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
Hi everyone,

As the winter is drawing in and we're getting into the idea of making soups and stews with all the yummy produce that's out there, I thought it would be fun to share ideas! Does anyone have any favourite free or low-syn soup recipes or discovered any new combinations they've enjoyed?! My first soup of the season I made the other day was 'curried parsnip'! The recipe is below- It was blinkin' delicious!

Curried parsnip soup

The following makes quite a big pans -worth and feeds 6-8. I like to make in bulk. Syn value- less than 0.5 syns or a small fraction of a HEXa per portion (for the milk).

1 large onion chopped
6 large parsnips chopped
6 medium potatoes chopped
1 tbspn hot curry powder (or use a milder one).
1 tspn ground cumin
1 tspn paprika
Veg stock
100ml skimmed milk

Soften the onions in a pan. Throw in the potatoes and parsnips and sweat for a while with the spices. Pour over veg stock (about 1 inch above the level of the veg). Bring to boil. Simmer for approx 45 mins-1 hour. Pour into blender and whizz. Return to pan. Add more water if too thick. Pour in milk (use something more creamier than skimmed if you like but adjust syns accordingly).

More soup ideas/recipes welcome!!!X

Parsnips are on offer in Aldi just now so you have inspired me. Going to make this soup later, will let you know how it turns out. My only concern is that whenever I blend soup it tends to go a bit slimy... Not sure if that's our blender's fault...!!

Parsnips are on offer in Aldi just now so you have inspired me. Going to make this soup later, will let you know how it turns out. My only concern is that whenever I blend soup it tends to go a bit slimy... Not sure if that's our blender's fault...!!

Laura do you have a hand blender? Always comes up with the goods for me, and it's also up to you how 'blended' it turns out!! I like to leave some chunky bits in!!X

that sounds totally yummy had a soup making session this week
made tomato and chilli, curried veg and Louisanna seafood gumbo
putting the curried parsnip on the menu for the next soup session

It is a hand blender we have... Dunno what I do wrong but it always ends up slimy!! Anyway, I made the soup and instead of blending it, I just mushed it up a bit with a potato masher!! That way it was still nice and thick and no slime in sight!!

I may have added a little too much spices as I could barely taste the parsnip, but it was good and filling anyway :)

It is a hand blender we have... Dunno what I do wrong but it always ends up slimy!! Anyway, I made the soup and instead of blending it, I just mushed it up a bit with a potato masher!! That way it was still nice and thick and no slime in sight!!

I may have added a little too much spices as I could barely taste the parsnip, but it was good and filling anyway :)

Glad you liked it! Although maybe less spice next time!!

I made spicy pumpkin soup today!! In contrary to your not being able to taste the parsnip, I found that I had to put tons of spice in with the pumpkin as I think it's quite a bland, tasteless vegetable!!

The recipe:-

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

A large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
An inch square of root ginger, grated
1 red chilli, chopped
A medium pumpkin, deseeded and chopped
4 medium potatoes
Ground cumin, coriander, paprika, garam masala (about 1 tbspn each)
1 tbspn sweet chilli sauce
Salt & pepper.

I made carrot & coriander last week which was lush (fry onion, add garlic & 2 tsp ground coriander and stir - add LOTs carrots & stock then cook until carrots soft. then chop up lots fresh coriander and add to pan then blend away)

I made pea & mint soup today (with couple boiled pot added to thicken slightly) - never made it before and it was sooooooooooooo good.

I made carrot & coriander last week which was lush (fry onion, add garlic & 2 tsp ground coriander and stir - add LOTs carrots & stock then cook until carrots soft. then chop up lots fresh coriander and add to pan then blend away)

I made pea & mint soup today (with couple boiled pot added to thicken slightly) - never made it before and it was sooooooooooooo good.

Both of these sound amazing!!XXX

Thank you Spicy Parsnip soup for my lunch today:D

I've just made up some parsnip soup: scrummy!!

One of my fave soup recipes is Red pepper and butternut squash soup I don't know where the recipe is from but I have played around with it a little so its not very refined, but does make a yummy syn free soup

-1 large BNS (peeled, de-seeded and cut into chunks- some people don't peel the BNS its up to you)
-1 large onion (peeled and chopped).
-2 large red peppers (chopped).
-4 veg stock cubes
-About 4 pints water (depending on how thick you want it).
-Salt and pepper
-I sometimes like to put some garlic in too (but not too much) and it works well adding something a bit spicy too (similar to the parsnip soup).
-you could add some tomato puree if you want but I don't miss it if I don't tbh (also, may have to add syns for tom puree?)

1)Put the onion and garlic (if using) into a pan and start to fry on a low heat

2) Meanwhile; dissolve veg stock cubes in water (add tom puree if using)

3) Add to the pan along with BNS and peppers.

4) Cook for about an hour (or until all the veg is soft)

5) Liquidise to desired consistency.

Ta Da! Hope you like it

PatchworkPuss said:

Thanks PP for the link! I did see it and there are some great ideas there, but as it was two years old I thought it would be nice to discuss what people are making and trying at the moment! All these things help us to inspire each other and it's always interesting to see what people think of new recipes! Mmmm I love soup! I'm defo going to give the BNS and red pepper one a whirl! X

I love to make Broccoli & cauliflower soup.

Fry onion, chuck in pack of frozen broc & cauli, add stock (chicken usually) boild and blitz. I sometimes add a little white pepper but that's all I do and it's nommy and CHEAP! :)

This is such a good idea Heather :)

Asda are doing a fresh veg soup mix that you just add stock to. It is really lovely and so simple to do I have added lentils, tin tomatoes and what ever leftover veg I have.

My favourite is Spicy tomato soup - free on all plans and easy to make from stuff you have in the cupboard:

2 red chillies
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
2 tsp sweetener
1.5 pints (852 ml) veg stock
4 Tbsp passata (I don't always add this unless I have some open. Otherwise I add a bit of tomato puree)
Salt & pepper
A few drops of Tabasco
Lime juice (optional)
Celery & a slice of lemon to serve

• Halve and deseed the chillies. Place in a food processor with the tomatoes, sweetener, seasoning and a little stock and blend until smooth.
  • Transfer the tomato mixture to a pan, stir in the remaining stock and the passata and gently heat through.
  • Stir in the Tabasco and lime juice and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Serve the soup garnished with a sprinkling of black pepper, a celery stalk and a slice of lemon.

For a special occasion, you can add a dash of vodka. I have also made it and added a can of chickpeas for a more substantial soup.

Mmmmmmmmm that sounds really nice!

helenlee2307 said:
This is such a good idea Heather :)

Asda are doing a fresh veg soup mix that you just add stock to. It is really lovely and so simple to do I have added lentils, tin tomatoes and what ever leftover veg I have.

Ooh that sounds lush Helen! Is it syn free? X

Back