Soup-souls!!

Froggy- that sounds SOUPER! HEHE! I bet it would also be great using roasted fresh tomotoes! Yuuummm!

Well I made a lovely one earlier: carrots, parsnips, bns, red lentils, fresh coriander and veg stock mmmmmm XxX

I made the Roasted Tomato & Basil soup from the EE Summer Days book today, but.......i forgot to get the basil so i added some chilli and made spicy roasted tomato soup instead!

Ingredients

500g ripe tomatoes, quartered

1 onion, peeled & chopped

1 red pepper, deseeded & diced

2 garlic cloves, peeled

low calorie cooking spray

salt & freshly ground black pepper

750ml hot vegetable stock

25g pack basil, torn

1/4 tsp sweetener

basil leaves to garnish

Method

Preheat the oven to 200/Gas 6

Place the tomatoes, onion, pepper and garlic in a roasting tin. Spray with low calorie cooking spray and toss to coat. Season well then roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until softened.

Transfer the roasted vegetables into a large saucepan, add the stock, basil and sweetener and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and liquidise with a hand blender or in a food processor.

Garnish with the basil leaves.

All these recipes sound delicious - I make soup at least once a week my favourite being lentil & veg but I usually make "soup of the moment" which is anything I have left in the fridge. Today I had a packet of thinly sliced ham with the sell-by date tomorrow so I chopped it up finely and added it to my lentil soup

Sorry no measurements - just chuck it in the pot

red lentils
2 veg stock cubes or stock pots
sliced leek
sliced carrots
3x grated carrots (turns it golden)
diced swede/turnip
chopped up ham

Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes.

Enough left to take to work for tomorrows lunch too

:happy096::character00238::woohoo:

HUBBY GREEN BEAN SOUP

Ingredients
frylight
approx 20 runner beans, string removed, thinly sliced
3 onions, chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 to 1 1/2 pints vegetable stock we only use a pint
seasoning
(see measure conversions for more information)

Method
- fry the beans, onions and carrot with the fry light until soft but not browned.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Puree in a blender, then return the soup to the pan, season to taste and reheat.

put green bean on his plate or in a stew and he moans make this and he loves it MEN!!!!

Beetroot soup

Beetroot soup

I have never tried Beetroot soup before this but I have grown loads on my allotment so needed to use it up. The result is wonderful I love it. I’ve made loads and frozen it.

4 large carrots
14 oz beetroot
3 garlic cloves
4 leeks
2 pints stock made with chicken Oxo cubes
2 bay leaf
very low fat natural fromage frais

chop up the carrots, beetroot and leeks. Boil up with the stock, crushed garlic and bay leaf untill soft and then blits in a food processor. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoonful of fromage frais on top to serve.

These all sound amazing, I'm going to work my way through them.
I made butternut squash soup a couple of times last week, very similar to the bns and red pepper one someone posted earlier in the thread (just without the pepper, although I did add carrots to the second baths).
I've got a pot of sweet potato and chilli soup on the hob at the moment. I didn't measure anything but it's just
half an onion finely diced,
three carrots, sliced,
two potatoes chopped and
2-3 sweet potatoes chopped up.
Veggie stock to cover (could probably use chicken stock and it'd be fine, but I'm a veggie),
tsp lazy chillies and pepper to season.
I *think* it's all free (on Green anyway - I haven't looked up the lazy chillies tbh, i'm sure you have to count potatoes on Original though?)

I just whacked it all on the hob together but you could sweat the onions off in a little frylight first if you prefer.

Without, and without the butter! LOL.

I'll use butter frylight and quark (or yog) :)

Shrimpy said:
Without, and without the butter! LOL.

I'll use butter frylight and quark (or yog) :)

This is what's so great about SW- there are so many low fat alternatives so that lots of recipes can be adapted XxX

Exactly! :D I just love SW. :)

Been to class tonight and they have a new soup recipe book - only £4 - looks good. Has got a syn-free french onion soup. I will buy it next week

Been to class tonight and they have a new soup recipe book - only £4 - looks good. Has got a syn-free french onion soup. I will buy it next week

wish i was still going to class so i could get this book, just working too many hours at the momen, wish i could find a saturday morning class....

I LOVE SOUP! I am the biggest soupie in my class. Always having soup. My favourite recipe is beefy Bovril, sweet potato and winter veg soup:

1 sweet potato
1/2 onion
1 parsnip
1 small potato
1 carrot
1 tsp Bovril

All chopped up and boil in the made up Bovril, for around 20 minutes and then blend. Sometimes like to leave it chunky and its more like a stew :) Yum Yum :)

Here's is my version of french onion soup.................

Pete’s Onion Soup

Serves 2
Ingredients
3 medium onions
1 tbsp. sweetener
1 Ltr beef stock (Knorr rich beef stock pot)
1 tsp garlic
1 garlic clove
56g low fat cheddar cheese, grated (from daily allowance) or 8syn in total
1 tsp Dried thyme
2 slices from a 400g loaf=1 Heb
* 175mL medium white wine=6 syn

Method

Cook the onions and garlic in a pan sprayed with Fry Light until soft, add the sweetener and *white wine, continue to cook for 35-40 mins on a low/medium heat, stirring regularly until they are soft, sticky and sweet.
Add stock, thyme, salt & pepper and cook for a further 20 mins.

Prepare two slightly stale slices of bread (from your daily allowance) rub with the garlic clove then cover with the cheese and place under the grill and cook until the cheese is bubbling.

Either cut the bread and float it on the soup or as a side dish!
OnionSoup-2Large.jpg

OnionSoupLarge.jpg

here is one of my all time favourites, adapted from a Hugh Fearnly Whatshisname recipe!

4.5 syns for the whole pot but serves 4 easily.

SPICY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1inch ginger
1 fresh red chilli
1 butternut squash
chicken stock (i use 2 chicken stock pots)

1 tbls nut/peanut butter
fresh coriander

METHOD

sautee onion in frylight
add chilli, ginger and garlic
add chopped bns

cook out for 5 mins.

add stock

once bns is cooked, blend until smooth.

take out 2 ladles full and blend this with the nut butter.

add to pot of soup, season to taste and ladle into bowls.

garnish with chopped coriander.

4.5 syns for tbls nut butter

Back