spag bol

Emb77

im still fairly new to sw and tomorrow my kids want spag bol. i always made it with a jar of dolmio which we all loved but with me trying to diet i really need to make this sw friendly but just as nice with quite abit of juice. any ideas would be much appreciated x

I use a 500g jar of dolmio light/low fat, beef mince, bacon, tin of tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms, courgette, grated carrots and some mixed herbs. Makes enough for 4 (nice large portions) And is 2 syns per portion. You dont have to use the dolmio sauce but we love the taste. It just ain't spag bol without dolmio lol xx

lol i absolutley agree. think i might use the dolmio then. im sure there cant be a sw recipe for spag bol thats as good x

I tried the SW recipie and it didn't have enough flavour for me, so ended up adding chilli powder and kidney beans and making it a chilli, lol. Dolmio all the way :) worth the syns IMO xx

Here's mine.............

Pete’s Spaghetti Bolognese

Serves 4

½ Syn on Ee
6 Syn if not using wholemeal spaghetti

Ingredients

2 small onions, chopped
1 garlic clove
1 small carrot, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded & chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded & chopped
125g mushrooms, chopped
1 large celery stick, chopped
454g low fat beef mince
1 400Ml can/box of chopped tomatoes
1 Tsp Worcester sauce
125Ml of beef stock
2 level Tbsp tomato puree
1 Tbsp mixed Herbs
400g cooked wholemeal spaghetti
Parmesan Cheese

Method

Spray a frying pan with Fry Light and cook the onion until transparent then add the meat and cook until brown. Put to one side.

In a deep saucepan spray with Fry Light and cook the onion until transparent, then add, garlic, carrot, peppers, mushrooms and celery and cook for 10 mins.

(If you want a smooth sauce then remove from the heat and using a hand blender blitz to a smooth sauce.)

Add the meat and the tomatoes, stock, Worcester sauce and season to taste, cook for 30 mins until it thickens.

Add spaghetti to the sauce, mix and serve, sprinkle with Parmesan if required. Enjoy with salad!

Attachments

• Pete's Spaghetti (Large).JPG
    Pete's Spaghetti (Large).JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 256
We used to use Dolmio sauce but now do our own. I usually cook the mince with onion, drain any fat off and then add:
peppers
garlic (usually quite a bit as I LOVE garlicky food)
chilli powder
paprika
can of tomatoes
grated carrot
beef stock pot

I've also found that letting it simmer for a while really brings the flavour out - I usually make it and then let it simmer while the pasta cooks. I then chuck my HEA of low fat cheddar all over the top! xx

Here's mine - it's delicious and kids love it. The key is the longer you cook it the better the flavours!!

(SPAGHETTI) BOLOGNESE
Serves 4 on EE ( if a Green Day 100g Raw Pork is a HEB or use quorn mince)
1.5 syns for tomato Puree only - if mince is not less than 4% fat please syn it

Ingredients
400g Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Large Onion, finely chopped
1 Large Carrot, peeled & diced
4-5 mushrooms, diced
3 Tblsp Tomato Puree
150ml stock (1 cube)
1 Packet of extra lean mince
Fresh basil
Any Italian dry herbs eg oregano
Onion Salt
Salt & Pepper

(dried spaghetti & I like parmesan so use as HEA Or SYN it)

Add all ingredients to a large frying pan

Bring to the boil stirring in order to break up the mince evenly

Simmer for a good hour or longer, stirring occasionally.

Add extra salt & pepper to taste - sometimes I add a pinch of Splenda

Serve with spaghetti or pasta and Parmesan or other grated cheese

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Attachments

• image-877951914.jpg
    image-877951914.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 806
In my opinion passata is much better than tinned tomatoes for making bolognese sauce as it is much creamier and richer. I always think tinned tomatoes are a bit watery tasting.

I always make my own bolognese sauce now and I believe it can easily be made nicer than Dolmio :p

Carton of Passata
2 tablespoons of Tomato puree
Tablespoon of lemon juice
Onion Powder
Salt
Crushed fresh garlic
Basil
Parsley

Back