SPD symptoms

sarahG31

New Mum :)
I'm getting a bit concerned that over the last couple of days my left hip is starting to ache. Not painfully, just uncomfortable. I sit at a desk all day but do get up and down (mainly when DH wants me to look at his computer screen!), and for the last few days every time I get up my left hip feels stiff, as if I've been sitting awkwardly, which I'm sure I haven't.

Then overnight I felt it aching when I woke, and I'd been lying on my left side. And it just feels a bit tight and stiff this morning.

Obviously it could be anything, but it's not a normal feeling, unless I've sat or slept awkwardly, neither of which I believe I've done. My right hip, however, feels fine!

I was wondering what the typical symptoms of SPD were. I know a bit about it and the sort of final outcome of what to expect, but in the early weeks, how can it feel, especially wondering from those who've had it in previous pregnancies and so knew it was starting again (if they've got it again) this time around.

Oooooh how long have you got Sarah? LOL
With me the first time I had it, I kept getting lower abdo pain, contraction like whenever I walked a couple of feet, then I noticed in the evenings it felt like I had been kicked in my 'girly' area , worse on stepping sideways, going upstairs etc. I also had shooting pains down my legs, pain accross my lower back and just general aches in that area. I know thats all a bit vague but it can differ from person to person and the severity is different. My symptoms at the momenet are all of the above plus of course physically being able to lift my legs off the floor to put them up, having to take one step at a time on going up or down stairs, impossible to get in or out of the bath without OH help and so on.
Basically its very painfull when the legs are 'seperated' IYSWIM.
I do get some hip pain but the majority is pubic pain, I really hope that its not SPD, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy:(

Ouch, blimey that sounds awful :( (sorry to say that!). No I'm far from anything like that. My hip just seems to seize up. A bit of walking and it loosens again, bit like DH's arthritis.

I was really hoping to avoid SPD anyway... now I'm desperate to avoid it!

I really hope you can find some comfort some how for it.

I'll see how this hip stiffness goes. I may get my Mum to ask the gynae she works for as my MW is on holiday and I don't see her for 3 weeks (if the flipping surgery will every allow me to book an appt with her!).

Thanks for the symptom list though. Tis much appreciated :)

For me it started off as a ''loose'' feeling when I started walking all around my hip and pelvic area, which then turned into an ache more or less every time I walked. It aches throughout the night when I'm on one side too long, so have to switch to both sides or else I wouldn't be able to sleep because of the pain in the joints. I also, but only sometimes now get a burning sensation in my lady bits! That was flipping horrible when it did happen.
I have to walk very SLOWLY now, and I wobble from one side to the other as I go. I can hardly get my feet off the floor to put knickers or trousers on now!

Hot baths every night and warm shower on my lower back seem to ease for a few hours, and when I feel I can't walk I do take a paracetamol.

Thanks MT for your post. Certainly doesn't sound fun for either of you. I'm not feeling anything either of you have mentioned, and after worrying, today my hip doesn't seem to be seizing up at all (my Mum just told me it's probably just me getting old... I'll remind her how old she is when I see her Sunday!)

It's definitely spurred me on to getting more active however. I found some exercises to keep things eased yesterday so need to try and get those into my daily life. Need to start working 8-5 and not 8-6, the spare hour can be used for a walk or go on the exercise bike for a bit, keep my legs moving. :)

Hiya Sarah. Another SPD sufferer here too.

I just woke up one night, tried to get up to the toilet and, like Bajoleth, felt like I'd been kicked incredibly hard between my legs. All the SPD pain in my pelvis, mainly on the left side but I also get aching crampy pains in my back from shifting my center of gravity over to the right too much. Again, my pain is bad when seperating my legs at all (walking up and down stairs, getting in and out of the car or bath) and can be excruciating at night. Most nights I have to wake OH to help me roll over or go to the toilet, the pain is so intense and trying to move makes me feel like I'm seizing up and my inner hip is 'locking'

Glad your hip is feeling better today x

Thanks Lisa, and sorry to hear you're suffering (sorry to hear you're all suffering!).

Touch wood, no feeling or pains like anything described. Just currently counting my blessings and hope it lasts.

Thanks all. I couldn't even begin to think what you're all going through :(

Back