Spinoza Speaks

Spinoza

Never give up
Hi all! The more ancient of you will remember me - I used Atkins to maintain after a VLCD three years ago. It worked really well for me and I maintained perfectly for two of those years, but then I started to think that I could cheat, and guess what - you can't! :eek:

Just back off another few weeks of a VLCD (horrible but efficient way to lose a couple of stones quickly) and have another stone to lose so coming back to lovely Atkins to do that. I've been reading everyones' diaries (and drooling) for weeks so I'm in the weird situation where I feel like I know you all, but hardly anyone knows me - quite spooky!

Anyway, the diary is to log my menus so that you lot can keep me on the straight and narrow - carb creep crept up on me so I'm clearly rusty, LOL. I've almost finished the new book so I'm hoping to do two weeks of induction and then OWL until I get to 12 stones. I've also restarted my running (another thing that slipped last year, and which contributed greatly to my weight regain) and doing 4-5 miles 3 times a week, plus a couple of days walking when I get the time. I'll be posting loads as I need everyone here to keep me on the straight and narrow! :)

Last edited:
Oops - forgot today's diary! Not a very auspicious start.

B - fried eggs
L - chicken breast skin on and huge green salad with a teeny bit of mayo (need to buy my Cardini's caesar dressing tomorrow)
D - two burgers and broccoli in a little melted butter
S - small piece of cheese (it stalls me) and few slices of salami

Please please shout if I'm making mistakes!

Hi Clare, welcome back and well done being so focused on VLCD - I could never do that! Much nicer to be here and talking food and recipes and vino - oops I mean NMV:)

Xx

Hi Waterworks, welcome back. Menu looks good! Well done on your 2 stones- amazing but yeah horrible to be hungry all the time. :)

Thanks coffeelover - please keep checking menu for me I really appreciate it! The VLCD diet isn't so bad - just stupendously boring as it's ketogenic like Atkins so you don't really feel proper hunger on it. Means to an end. And the end is cheese. :D

Hi Clare, welcome back and well done being so focused on VLCD - I could never do that! Much nicer to be here and talking food and recipes and vino - oops I mean NMV:)

Xx

Norty girl. :) I'm assuming NMV is a purely weekday based arrangement - no way could it be all the time. And you own this WOE, so as far as I'm concerned if Katie says "drink", I say "how much?" :D

Welcome back Clare, lovely to see you :D

Menu looks good, broccoli is so good for you - as is mayo :)

Susie xxx

Ah sweetums, will you keep checking for me and be brutally honest please? I'm already ducking over today's menu. See if you can spot the totally non-induction-worthy snack...

B - two cups of coffee (I never miss breakfast but had a lie-in)
L - fried tilapia fillet (which I coated in flax meal but which completely refused to go even a teeny bit crispy - was like brown sludge, ew, may try something egg-based next time). Got Cardini's dressing this evening in supermarket so that's my salads sorted from now on! :D
D - roast chicken with crispy skin (nom), cauli and cabbage with butter and black pepper (double nom)
S - have celery sticks made and caesar dressing to dip them in for telly-watching tonight, roasted salted and peppered pecans (OH made me, I swear) (but only about a hundred of them so I'm thinking that's totally fine) ;) plus 2oz brie.
E - 6 mile run

Completely gripped by the cheese fever in the supermarket this afternoon. I actually had to put a lump of cambozola the size of my head back on the shelf - I really need to watch cheese, so I'm keeping it to about 2oz a day. Think I must have been a mouse in a former life, if I could completely live on cheese alone I'd die happy. Although possibly very young.

Buckets of water too. Have a pound on this morning but not sweating that as I've had no food inside me for a few weeks.

Right, off to catch up with all my one-sided friendships here, and must get a bag of food organised in fridge for work tomorrow. :)

Hi waterworks.

you are a girl after my own heart - I LOVE cheeeeeese!!! So much variety and so much you can use it for. I spend ages at tesco's every week poring over all the different types and deciding what to buy. I could happily eat cheese at every meal but I would probably stall :-(

i love the cardinis dressing - I carry a bottle in my bag everywhere lol!

lol at the sludgy brown fish - have you thought of dipping it in egg and then bashed up pork scratchings and spices and baking it in the oven - it goes lovely and crispy xx

Oh blimey, have used scratchings on chicken before but never thought of it for fish! Excellent idea! :thankyou:

And snap on the hours in the cheese aisle - I think the security man was following me at one stage today! :eek:

Hi Alpy! Is it my old Alpy??? Looks like your fantastic weight loss hun. :)

Today I (re)learned another lesson - eat a good breakfast and ALWAYS carry legal snacks. Missed lunch as work was horrendous, so was starving and grumpy all day ended up having 'lunch' at 5pm and dinner at 8. Now have a belly like a poisoned pup. Not a good look for me. Have now stuck a bag of brazils in my handbag so that won't happen again.

B - one fried egg (thought I couldn't face two - ha!)
L - 10 hours later - chicken breast and coleslaw (less than 50g so 2.8 carbs max)
D - fried salmon, broccoli, cauli, cabbage, with cheese sauce over them all
Snacks - two slices of ham, 8 pecans (I counted!)
Loads of water and coffees with alpro soya light

No exercise today - I don't on Mondays ;)

"I'll eat when I'm hungry and I'll drink when I'm dry,
And if Atkins don't kill me I'll live till I die!"

That's what I felt like today. Ate, got a teeny bit hungry, snacked, got more hungry, ate again. Why is this a revelation to me and worth singing about? Because I've conditioned myself over half a lifetime that it's wrong to 'give in' to a need to eat when I'm hungry. How screwed up is that?

Anyway, less soul-searching, more soul food...

B - one fried egg (yes I am that stupid)
S - four brazil nuts
L - chicken breast, 50g coleslaw, romaine lettuce, caesar dressing
S - 50g brie
D - chicken thighs and leeks in cream sauce (rather a lot and am totally stuffed now - need to watch that)
E - 4 mile run - cruised it :)
Much water and coffee.

Oh, need to ask about xanthan gum. Can anybody make it work? I started out to make some sort of gravy from the chicken juices tonight, but I mixed a little powder with water in a cup to add to the juice thicken it, and it just turned into horrible lumpy jelly stuff that kept expanding, and took some time to scrape out of the cup. Do I sprinkle it right in in its dry form or what? Love my sauces, I can just reduce if necessary, but I feel I need extra gloop in my life. Can anyone help me? (Susie don't answer that). :)

I've only used it a few times but its been ok - I only use a very tiny bit to a fair bit of warm/ hot liquid. I just sprinkle it in and then quickly beat the crap out of it with a whisk! You can always add more a few minutes later if its not thick enough but you can't take it out once it's in.

I have tried mixing it with a little bit of liquid first and it just swelled up and turned into a jelly blob - nasty!! Xx

Morning lovely, just subscribing to your diary. I tend to read through subscribed threads so had missed yours. Menu looks great. Are you doing induction or OWL? If induction remember veg and salad should be measured and nuts? Can't remember if they're allowed but I'm sure an Atkins pro will come along to confirm :D
The one thing I've learned is eat when you're hungry. I have a pink (of course!) little lunch bag and I fill it with my snacks for the day

Yeah the xantham is a bit slimey, but I've used it before too for gravy. Think nuts are for OWL, but I've used small amounts of brazils in induction and not stalled. Sometimes you just have to have something to crunch so suppose it's better than salty, hairy pork scratching lol. :)

Morning lovely, just subscribing to your diary. I tend to read through subscribed threads so had missed yours. Menu looks great. Are you doing induction or OWL? If induction remember veg and salad should be measured and nuts? Can't remember if they're allowed but I'm sure an Atkins pro will come along to confirm :D
The one thing I've learned is eat when you're hungry. I have a pink (of course!) little lunch bag and I fill it with my snacks for the day

Hi hun, it's lovely to see you and thanks so much for looking at my stuff. You're totally right, I shouldn't have nuts yet, and you're also totally right that I need to sort out snacks. I'm kind of remembering these things as I go along, but I've made some whoppers of mistakes in my first week!

BTW, if you're off on a Friday does the NMV weekend officially start on a Thursday night or what??? :D

CL and JG thanks for your xanthan wisdom - I'll give it another go. And CL, KWYM about the pig hair - can't stand scratchings except as a crispy coating!!!
Susie, thanks for just being you. Fellow gloopmeister. :flowers:

Quick menu and then bed for me - knackered today!

B - one fried egg
S - slice of ham and 4 brazils
L - um, er, nothing - too busy again
D - roast lamb, cauli, broccoli, cabbage
S - coconut Atkins bar (mea culpa), 2oz brie, 2 slices ham

No exercise and probably won't be able for a couple of days but plan to expend a LOT of energy propping up a bar on Friday night, and that's a recognised exercise in my head. :D

I think I need more fat, and in fact to eat a bit more generally, but less than a week off the VLCD and I'm still feeling very full after small meals so I'm just going with that.

Back