Spit roast chicken

Brightonrosie

I want to be fitter again
here we go again. . I have just read on facebook slimming world group that spit roast supermarket chickens are not free and are 47syns each !!! Anyone here heard about that?

Saying that.....

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]asic/Non Branded Foods Poultry, Chicken, drumstick, barbecued/roasted, including skin average each
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
red.gif
[/FONT] Original 1½ Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 4½ Syns

[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Basic/Non Branded Foods Poultry, Chicken, leg, barbecued/roasted, including skin average each
[/FONT]
red.gif
[/FONT] Original 5½ Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 10½ Syns

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Basic/Non Branded Foods Poultry, Chicken, wings, barbecued/roasted, including skin average each
[/FONT]
red.gif
[/FONT] Original 1 Syns [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
green.gif
[/FONT] Green 3 Syns

sooooooooooooo quite possibly!
[/FONT]​

I was told the same in my class tonight.

Apparently the shop ones, which roll over and over on a spit, are injected with oil and fat!! Hence even if you take the skin off it is still far from free even on a red day!!

If you bought an uncooked whole chicken, and cooked it yourself, then took the skin off, it would still be free on a red day.

new one on me!! gutted !

OMG I've just had one for tea - well I shared it with the hubby and son!! Have been being so good all week and now I've messed up by eating something quite yummy

Although as it was bought in a small local shop I'm wondering if the same rules apply? Does anyone know or should I just go and ask at the shop!!

Hi guys,

(please excuse my random re-appearance from the middle of knowhere)

i used to work in waitrose and used to prepare the rotisserie chickens, i dont know about the flavoured ones, but the plain ones are exactly the same as you would buy off of the shelf, no added yucky stuff!

I cant speak for other supermarkets though!

But in theory i would think they would have less fat then one cooked at home as it's not sat in its own fat and juices the whole cooking time as it would at home in the oven!

Hope that helps . .

R

Thanks crazydiamond

That makes me feel better about it all - I got mine from a small local supermarket so am not sure either way. :)

i remember from the first time round that if you ask for a normal chicken and not an extra tasty one they are free without the skin, its the extra tasty one that is full of stuff

i used to work on the hot food counter in sainsburys, and i dont know whether they did have anything "added" to them, but i do remember when i had to unwrap them and put them on spits to go in the oven that they weren't the same colour as a normal chicken and they did smell differently too :confused::confused: not sure whether this could be down to the way they are packaged/stored or anything but thought it worth a mention xx

Goodness, this is worth noting! I love these, plain ones with skin off of course!

I also read a receipe today for Beer Can Chicken and was going to try it on the BBQ next week. Basically you insert a half-drunk can of beer into the butt of a chicken and grill it! Chicken is dry roasting on the outside, the inside is being bathed with steamy beer, keeping the chicken meat wonderfully moist. The result is tender, falling-off-the-bone meat, encased in salty, herby, crispy skin!

Back