spots arghhhh

livylegs

I am so down at the mo cos i have come out in loads of spots on my chin and a few on my neck and 1 on my brow :cry::cry::cry:
i have never not even as a teenager suffered with spots and now ave got loads,
I have looked through my atkins books to see if its a side effect and cant see anything?
I am wondering if my skin cant handle or is not used to the fat and oil i am now using to cook with.
I have looked round other posts on different diets and a few have suffered aswell and have said its their body detoxing and getting rid of the crap out the body via the skin,
its really got me down and I am off to spain on saturday and my skin is a mess so looks like makeup for me while I am away to try and hide them!!:argh:
I was wondering if anyone else has suffered the same thing?

thanks.xxx

Hello!

I generally never get spots but I have had a few on Atkins, which I attributed to change in diet. Apparenlty pork and pork products can be spot-causers, and I've certainly eaten more of that since starting Atkins!

I went for a good daily exfoliant (instead of weekly) and my top tip - Witch Stick to zap spots as soon as you find one! It's an astringent so basically just dries out the oiliness - if you carry it with you and reapply every 15-30 mins, often the spots don't stand a chance! It's cheap too, only a few quid.

I wouldn't put makeup on them (much as it's tempting) as that will just slow down the healing...

All that said, I haven't had any lately so I'm sure the body adjusts to the new diet. Good luck, hope they go away soon! :)

hey there honey. i've had these when low-carbing in the past, and i never had spots as a teenager either. they didn't last long. the bonus is that once you get to spain the sunshine should sort them out :)

try not to put makeup on them as it will take longer for them to vanish.

abz xx

I agree with abz, the sunshine will sort them out. My skin is like old leather, I don't think spots have a chance. LOL

Hiya livylegs. I think hormonal fluctuations are more likely to be the culprit than fat in your diet. I don't think that oil in your diet goes directly to your pores, I think spots are supposedly caused by an overproduction of sebum which is most often caused by hormones. A change in diet and/or sudden dramatic weight loss can cause changes in your hormonal production. As your body adjusts to the new diet and as your weight loss slows to a steady pace, your hormones should settle and your skin will clear up.

In the meantime drink plenty of water and make sure you're getting all your green veggies in. Try not to overwash (or sunburn!) the skin because it will dry out and you will only produce even more sebum. Witch hazel is good as Hooya says, I use a bottle of the pure distilled liquid stuff and dab it onto spots with a cotton bud but try not to dry out the skin around each spot.

Hope you have a great holiday anyway. :)

Are you drinking all your water? I find my skin has the opp effect when I low carb it goes lovely and clear...so just hold in there.
The sun and sea will help have a fab holiday x

hiya all,

thanks for the replies I feel alot better today now ave seen your posts:)
i am drinking 3 pints of water a day, 1 with every meal is that enough?
I also have salad with my lunch and veg with dinner and i feel like am eating enough, although not every day am hitting my 20 carb limit so maybes i should add more veg or salad on if i have some spare carbs.
I will deffo invest in some of that witch stick and see if i can dry them out, I did use my advanced night repair serum last night and really slapped it on thick and they dont look as bad today:)
its just always the same if you having a night out or going away these spots must know and pop up hehe
but am sure yous are right once my body settles down they will disappear and probs my skin will never have looked better with the more water am drinking,

and thanks again guys.xxx

I'd aim for 6 pints if you can manage it Livy.

Sorry honey, 3 pints isn't enough - you need to aim for at least 4 and that's when you're not dieting! I read in a low carb book you should have 1.9 litres a day (about 4 pints) and an extra 240ml (about half a pint) for every 25lbs you want to lose.

Hello, sympathies for you. I've been suffering a bit recently too. So much so i tried a chocolate face mask which ended up burning my face leaving a red ring around the edge of my face and eye holes!!! Not a nice look!

This product is fantastic and soon dries them out -

679724.jpg

I got mine for about £4 ish and it really seems to work wonders in a pretty quick time. Alternatively, if you don't fancy splashing out the cash, a blob of toothpaste (not the gel variety) left on the spot overnight also works just as well in my opinion! :)

I had a similar problem with greasy hair and aparantly a high fat diet can cause your sebaceous glands to go in to overdrive so it might not be helping the spots, especially around the totm for us girlies!

If it's any consolation I've found my hair isn't really greasy now, sometimes I need to use a different shampoo (once a month!) but my body seems to have got used to the diet and it's all settled back to normal :)

I had exactly the same problem a while back, though I was on a low-fat diet at the time! The only thing I ever found to stop it was T-Gel shampoo, which I now use every day just in case (it was pretty yucky :(). A few things I read suggested it was hormonal and there was nothing I could do about it. Good though if you like to get your hair bleached, as it doesn't dry out so much! :D
Funnily enough had no probs with oily hair on Atkins, touch wood!

I have no hair to get oily and greasy. :D

hi folks,,

thanks for the info my spots feel smaller already now i know they will probs go once my body settles down and i drink more water

but eek 6 pints a day omg i will try to aim for at least 4 pints, I thought i was doing good getting 3 pints down lol

you need to drink plenty of water to flush out toxins hon. people get ill if they don't drink enough whilst low-carbing... not to mention the toiletary downside of being dehydrated on atkins... :D

especially in Spain Livy, or you will get dehydrated with all that sun.

Back