Spotty's SW Road to Slimdom - aka "What a calamity!"

spottydoris

Determined to succeed!
Good afternoon you lovely lot!

I am back and this time I'm putting my SW hat on - hopefully the last hat I'll wear for a while! I hope. Hope hope.

Today is day one (good a place as any to start me thinks)... and so far I have been pretty great, but plenty of time to go completely off course and chomp on something delectably devilish. My 'USP' tend to be that I start a multitude of different diets only to throw in the towel and whinge about my failed attempts. I am hoping (hope hope) that Slimming World will be the diet to break that rather annoying pattern of events.

In a nutshell I have attempted the following (over a period of 12 years or so, don't judge me) - the weights shown are the start weights... the weights I hit & triggered "diet time!"...

13 stone... Calorie Counting - useless
14.5 stone... Atkins - lost 3 stone - yey me!
13 stone... Weight Watchers - crap, lost a bit, put it back on.
14 stone... Pig to Twig - lasted no more than a week and gave up
15 stone... Low GI Diet - worked briefly but then just plateaued
16.5 stone... Lighter Life - finally - 5ish stone gone! WOOP!
11.5 stone... Slimming World - rubbish, head just not in the game - confused by syns, hexes etc - still in all or nothing mindset from LL
12.5 stone... Weight Watchers - lost a bit, put it on, gave up
13 stone... Atkins - lost a stone but got bored of the restriction
13.5 stone... Exante - lost a stone and a half, then went on holiday, didn't get back on and piled all back on
13 stone... Calorie Counting - worked for a while, but then I went off the rails

So here I am again, back to 13.5 stone and back to SW. I don't feel like I ever really gave it a chance and I hear so many great things about it - all the friends I have that have been successful on an 'eating' diet tend to cite Slimming World as their plan of choice.

In the last 6 months I have become adept to weighing and measuring... last time I did the diet I don't think I even owned a scale/measuring jug! I was fresh out of VLCD land and disinterested in anything that required too much effort.

I hope I am in a better place to succeed now. I am genuinely bored of wishing I was slim. I am exercising more than ever before and I have great motivation to get on and do it (confidence, joint issues, heart health, improved fertility, possible wedding one day etc).

This is my time.

I am not going to classes (mainly because I have a long commute from work, gym classes and other commitments so it doesn't really "fit"), but I have all the books from when I joined last time. If I do well and then start to struggle I will probably try and work out a way to get to the odd class or two to keep me in line- until then I'm relying on you lovely minimins-ers to me by 'group'.

So, good to meet you and let's get this weight shifted!

Spots xxx

Last edited:
Hello it's me again - talking to myself like a looney.

It's now 4:40pm. I am in the midst of my worst snacking time of day... I have chomped on an Alpen Light bar (part of my HexB) and a pack of french fries... and I am trying desperately to avoid the big box of Celebrations sat at the end of my desk (team treats are in abundance where I work, *cry*).

Went out and bought a sirloin steak for my dinner. It's pretty big so I might end up chopping it down a bit and having some slices in my salad tomorrow. I have some new potatoes at home so I might boil some of them up too and have them with some green beans and carrots.

Feeling like I'm getting my head around the diet, the fact that you can have 1 HexA and 1 HexB on EE makes things so much simpler. I just need to make sure I don't get caught in my usual trap of 'find something that works and just do it over and over'... I found some old WW food diaries and I basically ate the same thing day in day out because it fit my points... in the end the diet stopped working for me and I gave up. Will trawl through the recipes on here and see if I can keep things spiced up :)

Spots xx

Hey.
I was a fellow "yoyo" dieter :( oooops. Slimming world is the only one I've managed to stick to I've lost 2 outta 4 stone then wound up pregnant but with my midwifes consent I can carry on going throughout the pregnancy.
Just basically wanted to say good luck :) x

Hey.
I was a fellow "yoyo" dieter :( oooops. Slimming world is the only one I've managed to stick to I've lost 2 outta 4 stone then wound up pregnant but with my midwifes consent I can carry on going throughout the pregnancy.
Just basically wanted to say good luck :) x

Hi Fiona! Thanks for your message. Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy! Secondly, well done with your fab weight loss! Are you doing Extra Easy, Red or Green? Hope I can be as successful as you have been x x

So, that was day one. I survived! Yey!

Looking forward to tomorrow - going to make diet coke chicken for dinner... yum yum! So, until tomorrow - sleep tight and na night xx

Hi.
I do extra easy I find it beast to fit in with my husband and toddler. I have although tried red days when I think I need a boost :) x you'll do great it hard to not succeed on slimming world x

Hi both! Thank you for your messages... and yes, it does seem to be a fantastic eating plan - I just don't see how it can work because it's not that different to how I have been eating anyway - but I will keep the faith and see what happens!

I am feeling quite 'munchy' this morning - I had a bowl of 0% fat free natural yogurt with a chopped banana (and a tsp of Splenda) for breakfast, but promptly ended up scoffing a satsuma and a pear as well. Now slurping on a cup of tea trying to resist the urge to plough through the rest of my day's fruit.

I might have a couple of weetabix in a minute (my HexB) if I can't cope any longer, but going to try and just curve my hunger by drinking some squash.

Out of interest - the squash I have is Tesco's Cherries and Berries squash - around 5 calories per serving. Do you think that's ok?

Yes, you may have noticed -when I have a question I put it in purple... that way, I hope, people will respond even if they don't want to trawl through all my bleatings.

While I've got you - I guess I should ask again... is there a limit to the amount of granulated Splenda I should have each day - partly from a diet, but also a habit/health point of view?

Ok - that will do for now - work is calling. Have a great Friday!

Spots xx

OK. Day two's food looks like this:

Breakfast:
Natural fat free yogurt - SUPERFREE
Splenda - SUPERFREE
Banana - SUPERFREE
Pear - SUPERFREE
Satsuma - SUPERFREE

Snacks:
Tea with milk - SUPERFREE/HEXA
Splenda - SUPERFREE
Hard boiled egg - FREE
Peach - SUPERFREE

Lunch:
Tuna - FREE
Lettuce - SUPERFREE
Cucumber - SUPERFREE
Tomato - SUPERFREE
New potaotes - FREE
Extra light mayo (1.5 tbsp) - 3.75 syns

Snacks:
Tea with milk -SUPERFREE/HEXA
Splenda - SUPERFREE
French fries - 4 syns
Nectarine - SUPERFREE

Dinner:
Skinless chicken thighs - FREE
Diet coke - SUPERFREE
Passata - SUPERFREE
Onion - SUPERFREE
Mushroom - SUPERFREE
Courgette - SUPERFREE
Tagliatelle - FREE

Syns: 7.5

Spots xx

I think any sugar free juice is ok (mix with water juice) and I have sweetner all day long In cups
Of coffee done this for about 12 years now and I believe I am ok x

Today's food...

Breakfast:
Natural fat free yogurt - FREE
Splenda - FREE
Banana - SUPERFREE
Pear - SUPERFREE
Satsuma - SUPERFREE

Snacks:
Tea with milk - FREE/HEXA
Splenda - FREE
Hard boiled egg - FREE
Peach - SUPERFREE

Lunch:
Tuna - FREE
Lettuce - SUPERFREE
Cucumber - SUPERFREE
Tomato - SUPERFREE
New potaotes - FREE
Extra light mayo (1.5 tbsp) - 3.75 syns

Snacks:
Tea with milk -FREE/HEXA
Splenda - FREE
French fries - 4 syns
Nectarine - SUPERFREE

Dinner:
Skinless chicken thighs - FREE
Diet coke - FREE
Passata - SUPERFREE
Onion - SUPERFREE
Mushroom - SUPERFREE
Courgette - SUPERFREE
Tagliatelle - FREE
Mini milk lolly - 1.5 syns

2 Alpen Light bars - HEXB

DONE! HONK!

9.25 syns

Oh and diet coke chicken is beautifully yummy... nom!

S xxx

Yesterday was a bit of a write off... ended up with nearly 30 syns. Grrr.

We were out for the day and at the mercy of family for lunch and dinner. It wasn't too bad - skinny butternut squash soup for lunch and a bbq for dinner - but there were treats galore and I couldn't resist some barbecued marshmallows!!

In the end ended up with the following syns:

Soup - 7
Light mayo - 3
2 sausages - 3.75
Marshmallows - 7
2 Oreos - 7

Crap.

X

Today so far has been good...

Natural yogurt and berries for brekkie, baked potato with beans and tuna and a few tomatos. Yum!

Tonight is homemade spaghetti bolognese with my hexa of cheese :)

Spots xxxx

Right, well yesterday didn't end up going quite to plan as I was hoping.

I had my natural yogurt for breakfast, my potato beans and tuna for lunch.. but then we went to my mum's house for afternoon tea. I'd told her on the phone that I was trying to be good so could we hold back on the yummy stuff - just have a cuppa and a biccie... but got there and there was a cake stand piled high with flapjack, home made cream cakes with strawberries, horses noses (known to everyone outside my family as scotch pancakes) with butter, and a massive chocolate cake! EEEEEKKKK!!

I tried to abstain but the temptation overtook me and I ended up having several pieces of varying badness. Oh bloody hell.

Aside from that *humungous* blip, I did stay on course... I am actually finding it all quite easy - it's just not that easy to do when you're being entertained... eating out is one thing, but you can't pick and choose when other people are cooking for you out of the kindness of their hearts!

So - today's food should be spot on...

Brekkie:
Natural yogurt with berries and a chopped banana

Snack:
Nectarine & clementine

Lunch:
Salad with chicken, new potato, tomato, cucumber, green beans, hard boiled egg and 1 tbsp extra light mayo

Snack:
Apple, plum and double choc Alpen Light bar

I also have two slices of my vegetable frittata with me, if the nibbles really kick in!

Dinner I'm unsure about at the moment - probably some left over bolognese from last night with some tagliatelle...

Spots xx

Ok - just plotting my syns and hexes...

Extra light mayo - 1 tbsp - 2.5
Alpen Light bar - HexB
Dashes of milk in drinks and just a sprinkling of grated cheese (15g) - HexA
Refreshers ice lolly - 3 OR
French fries multipack crisps - 4

Total syns = 5.5 or 6, depending whether I go savoury or sweet :)

First weigh in and I've lost 4.25lbs! Yey! :talk017:

Not bad seeing as I've had two days with double syns, and one with an Indian takeaway!!

Spots xxx

Just catching up with my food diaries...

Yesterday

2 slices wholemeal loaf (HexB)
2 fried eggs in frylight
0.5 tin baked bean
Natural yogurt + berries + banana
Small baked potato with tuna mayo (made with 2 tbsp extra light mayo/half natural yogurt and chopped onions) - 1.5 syns
Nectarine x 2
Plums
French fries multipack crisps (4 syns)
Indian takeaway: chicken shashlick (roasted chicken with peppers, onion etc) + boiled rice + few dips and quarter poppadom etc - 10 syns to be safe!

15.5 SYNS

Today

2 slices egg + veg + potato frittata
Natural yogurt with berries + banana
Satsuma
3 cups coffee with milk & splenda - HexA
Salad (lettuce, toms, cuc, tuna, new potatoes, pea shoots, 2 tbsp mayo) - 1.5 syns
1 Alpen Light bar - HexB
French fries crisps - 4 syns
Plum
Homemade bolognese (extra lean mince, passata, onion, courgette, carrot, pepper, mushrooms, worcestershire sauce, herbs)
Tagliatelle

5.5 SYNS

Last edited:
Good afternoon everybody!

Hope everyone is happy and well :)

Having a manic week at work so haven't really had an opportunity to wax lyrical on here. Instead it's been all hands on deck to hit deadlines.

I am trying to keep my food diaries going though cos I know how important they are :)

Breakfast:
Natural yogurt + berries
1 slice frittata

Snacks:
Plum
Peach

Lunch:
Big salad (iceberg, pea shoots, tomato, cucumber)
Tuna
Extra light mayo x 2 tbsp (1.5 SYNS)
Natural yogurt
1 egg

Snacks:
Muller Light (Banana Custard)
1 Alpen Light (HexA)
1 Nectarine
Pack multipack French Fries (4 SYNS)

Dinner:
Skinless chicken thigh fillets
Quark