Squash people!!!

ermintrude

Gold Member
I am over-run by squashes! :eek:

I went a bit overboard in Waitrose :eek:

I still have 3/4 of a BNS from t'other day but wanted to try BritMum's spaghetti squash thingie so got one of those... but the acorn squashes were giving me the eye, so I picked up two of those too... then there was this other thing looking at me whose name I dont recall but I remember seeing one in Honey's kitchen pic so that followed me home too...

I need some damn recipes to use the little boogas up! :eek:

Thing is I already have my menu planned til at least next Friday... :confused:

Do they last a fair while?

Im also overrun by swedes and celeriacs... they are literally rolling around my kitchen... laughing at me... :rolleyes: And that's cool as I love them and can make an endless supply of chippie chips... except none of this week's menu requires chips in any form...

Halp! I am drowning in vegetablleeeeeeeezzzzzzzz!!! :hide:

Thing is, I have to go back to Waitrose in a bit as when I went last I forgot to get the stuff for Honey's curry trio, which is supposed to be tea tonight...

KEEP ME AWAY FROM THE VEGETABLE AISLE!!!!! :innocent0001:

I nearly fetched a pumpkin home too. It looked lonely, it was the only one in the basket :( Poor pumpkin.

freeze em!I cut the sqush into chips etc,dice the swede etc and shove em inthe freezer.Makes meals easier with less prep needed. Often do it with the reduced veg to save some pennies.

freeze em!I cut the sqush into chips etc,dice the swede etc and shove em inthe freezer.Makes meals easier with less prep needed. Often do it with the reduced veg to save some pennies.

That's a great idea! Except... my freezer is already bursting at the seams... I would lurrrrrve a giant chest freezer or summat... but I am in a rented tiny flat with a kitchen about the size of 3 washing machines... :(

I think I might have to edit my menu somewhat :confused: And STOP GOING SHOPPING :eek:

Hi Ermintrude.
Why not try my curry substituting the butternut squash for one of your squashes?

Pete’s Butternut Squash Chicken Curry

Serves 4
Ingredients

425g/½ butternut squash
1 onion, chopped
1tsp “easy lazy” garlic
1tsp “easy Lazy” ginger
1tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1tsp coriander
1tsp garam masala
1tsp madras curry powder
600g chicken, pre-cooked, chopped into cubes
750mL chicken stock
400g Chopped Tomatoes

Method

(This can be made in advance.)
Chop up the butternut squash into small cubes; leave the skin on, extra fibre!

Spray a large saucepan with Fry Light and add chopped onion, ginger & garlic, cook for 7 mins, with a lid on the pan.

Add butternut squash, madras curry powder and chicken stock, cook for 40 mins, remove from the heat and liquidize with a hand blender.

Continue.

Place back on heat and add cumin, turmeric and coriander, cook for 1 min, add tomato and chicken cook until chicken has been cooked through. Add garam masala 5 min before serving.
Serve on a bed of rice with a side salad.

Attachments

• Butternut Squash Curry-2 (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry-2 (Large).JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 144
Hi Ermintrude.
Why not try my curry substituting the butternut squash for one of your squashes?

Pete’s Butternut Squash Chicken Curry

Serves 4
Ingredients

425g/½ butternut squash
1 onion, chopped
1tsp “easy lazy” garlic
1tsp “easy Lazy” ginger
1tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1tsp coriander
1tsp garam masala
1tsp madras curry powder
600g chicken, pre-cooked, chopped into cubes
750mL chicken stock
400g Chopped Tomatoes

Method

(This can be made in advance.)
Chop up the butternut squash into small cubes; leave the skin on, extra fibre!

Spray a large saucepan with Fry Light and add chopped onion, ginger & garlic, cook for 7 mins, with a lid on the pan.

Add butternut squash, madras curry powder and chicken stock, cook for 40 mins, remove from the heat and liquidize with a hand blender.

Continue.

Place back on heat and add cumin, turmeric and coriander, cook for 1 min, add tomato and chicken cook until chicken has been cooked through. Add garam masala 5 min before serving.
Serve on a bed of rice with a side salad.

Thanks Pete, might have a go at that, looks good!

6135512291_a5d2d0fbac_o.jpg

There's also two salads draw in the fridge full of em. another BNS, two swedes, four celeriacs and about three turnips.

Gah! :banghead:

No wonder our supermarket is in short supply!

I am over-run by squashes! :eek:

I went a bit overboard in Waitrose :eek:

I still have 3/4 of a BNS from t'other day but wanted to try BritMum's spaghetti squash thingie so got one of those... but the acorn squashes were giving me the eye, so I picked up two of those too... then there was this other thing looking at me whose name I dont recall but I remember seeing one in Honey's kitchen pic so that followed me home too...

I need some damn recipes to use the little boogas up! :eek:

Thing is I already have my menu planned til at least next Friday... :confused:

Do they last a fair while?

Im also overrun by swedes and celeriacs... they are literally rolling around my kitchen... laughing at me... :rolleyes: And that's cool as I love them and can make an endless supply of chippie chips... except none of this week's menu requires chips in any form...

Halp! I am drowning in vegetablleeeeeeeezzzzzzzz!!! :hide:

I LOVE acorn squash, very yummy. There is a recipe on my blog for one baked in the oven, with chilli and cheese on top.

Stuffed Baked Acorn Squash | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

oh and by the way, I hope all thoses squashes dont have the same fate as your plaintain :p lol

Ha Ive been wanting to try that plantain for ages but I just daren't let myself buy anything else right now, Im so over-run! :eek: :D

if you keep them cool and so that air can circulate around them they can last up to 6 months apparently I only found this out when I read how to grow squashes :D

Really? Oh that's cool... I didnt know whether I should keep them in the fridge? Ive got some in there already but obviously cant fit the lot in... My flat is very warm so root veg like parsnips swede, carrots etc shrivel very quickly so I can't keep them out for more than about five days for big stuff like swede, sweet potato, or 1-2 days for carrots/parsnips :( I dont have any outside space except a roof in front of my window that I can put stuff on if I have to but unfortunately the pigeons sit on the higher roof right above it, yes you can imagine what happens... So I have to keep stuff in sealed containers, but then they sweat and rot :(

Hmm. Have to eat the entire contents of the fridge today I think :cool:

Back