What to do with a butternut squash?

ah but think of all the calories you would burn chopping it up !!!
I also find it a pain to wash the orange stain off my hands afterwards.

Is there an easy way to peel the dam things? took me ages and kept taking great chunks out of it.... Not sure if I am being a wee bit dim :)

Is there an easy way to peel the dam things? took me ages and kept taking great chunks out of it.... Not sure if I am being a wee bit dim :)

If there is I havent figured it out!! I generally cut off top and bottom and then in half so its smaller to manage. I then use a sharp knife to cut the skin off.
Have seen people do it with a potato peeler on tv but I dont know wht kind of peeler they are using!!!

I love BNS but find it too difficult to prepare :(

i normally chunk it up and roast with a bit of garlic mmmmmm

I can peel it using an asda smart price potato peeler! lol

Have seen people do it with a potato peeler on tv but I dont know wht kind of peeler they are using!!!

I love BNS but find it too difficult to prepare :(

I can peel it using an asda smart price potato peeler! lol
Morning ladies..
BNS are really easy to peel with any vegetable/potato peeler...i top+tail the BNS peel around the diameter at the top or bottom firstly and then just use the peeler taking the skin off in strips downwards..its really easy (honestly :eek:)
Also my fave way to eat them are as chips yum yum...plus you dont have to peel them at all if you dont want....:) x

Butternut squash and bacon risotto

1 leek, washed and finely chopped
198g/7oz lean bacon, cut into bite size pieces
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
255g/9oz dried risotto rice
397g/14oz butternut squash, cut into small bite size pieces
852ml/1 1/2pt boiling hot chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp finely chopped chives

I also added an onion softened in the microwave!

1. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leek and bacon and stir-fry for 3-4 mins.
2. Add the garlic, rice and butternut squash and stir-fry for 2-3 mins. Add a ladleful of the boiling stock and stir and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time, until half the stock is used up.
3. Continue to cook in this way until the stock is used up and the rice is creamy and al dente, and the squash is tender. This should take about 20-25 mins (took mine about 40 mins, but I like my rice cooked, not al dente!!).
4. Remove from the heat, season well (I seasoned while it was cooking) and stir in the chopped chives. Serve ladled into warmed bowls and eat immediately.

A yummy recipe from the Extra Easy cookbook :D

I cooked butternut squash yesterday and this is what I did with it.

I sliced a red pepper, an onion and 2 large tomatoes and placed them along with the chunks of butternut squash in an ovenproof dish, added cumin, salt and black pepper. Used a quick squirt of 1 cal cooking oil spray and roasted the vegetables in a medium oven.
The cumin complements the sweetness of the butternut squash and is delicious.

I hope you try it and enjoy it.

I think that on a green day this is syn free. Perhaps someone can tell me if the spray of cooking oil counts as any syns.

fillymum.

Butternut squash and bacon risotto

1 leek, washed and finely chopped
198g/7oz lean bacon, cut into bite size pieces
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
255g/9oz dried risotto rice
397g/14oz butternut squash, cut into small bite size pieces
852ml/1 1/2pt boiling hot chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp finely chopped chives

I also added an onion softened in the microwave!

1. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leek and bacon and stir-fry for 3-4 mins.
2. Add the garlic, rice and butternut squash and stir-fry for 2-3 mins. Add a ladleful of the boiling stock and stir and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time, until half the stock is used up.
3. Continue to cook in this way until the stock is used up and the rice is creamy and al dente, and the squash is tender. This should take about 20-25 mins (took mine about 40 mins, but I like my rice cooked, not al dente!!).
4. Remove from the heat, season well (I seasoned while it was cooking) and stir in the chopped chives. Serve ladled into warmed bowls and eat immediately.

A yummy recipe from the Extra Easy cookbook :D

My mum made this the other week and it was delicious - highly recommended

I cooked butternut squash yesterday and this is what I did with it.

I sliced a red pepper, an onion and 2 large tomatoes and placed them along with the chunks of butternut squash in an ovenproof dish, added cumin, salt and black pepper. Used a quick squirt of 1 cal cooking oil spray and roasted the vegetables in a medium oven.
The cumin complements the sweetness of the butternut squash and is delicious.

I hope you try it and enjoy it.

I think that on a green day this is syn free. Perhaps someone can tell me if the spray of cooking oil counts as any syns.

fillymum.

I expect this will be free on any day - sounds lovely

I use a Titan peeler from Lakeland for butternut squash. It is more expensive than the usual peelers, but it is excellent for anything with a thicker skin.

Best way to peel it is to put the whole squash in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes, turn it to make sure it all gets covered. Take it out leave it to cool and it's then really easy to peel.

I find the easiest way to de peel a butternut squash, is to cut the nobbly end off and then you can stand each piece up. I then just slice of skin using a sharp knife. The same then with the big part with the seeds. Once I ahve got the skin off that, I deseed and chop up.

I bought some oops stuff at the supermarket (the ready chopped stuff that has butternut squash and sweet potato). 3 bags reduced to 25p each.
Got home and dumped them in a pan with some garlic, herbs and stock, simmered gently for 30 mins. While this was simmering I roasted 5 red peppers (just stuck them into the oven whole), until they looked nice and charred, let them cool in a plastic bag for 10 mins then peeled them and roughly chopped. Added to the pan with the squash and blended until smooth.

It's beautiful, great colour, really easy to make, and tastes fab.

butternut squash andsweet potato makes a delicious soup, no need to peel, just cut into chucks and oven roast both, then blend with veg stock, I usually add some chilli flakes and rosemary when roasting.

Hello,

Some great ideas for the mighty squash!
I am going to try butternut squash chips tonight and am hoping one of you experts might be able to offer some tips:

Par-boil or not par-boil?
Skin on or skin off?
How long in the oven at what temperature?

I've perfected potato SW chips now (I don't parboil, I cut them up and shove them straight in the oven at 200oC, shake them up after 15 mins then serve 15 minutes after that) but notice BNS goes very soft when I roast it compared to the tatties so am wondering how to not make it turn out as a mushy mess that all needs mashing together! :)

Back