What to do with a butternut squash?

If there is I havent figured it out!! I generally cut off top and bottom and then in half so its smaller to manage. I then use a sharp knife to cut the skin off.
Have seen people do it with a potato peeler on tv but I dont know wht kind of peeler they are using!!!

I love BNS but find it too difficult to prepare :(

I stab mines with a fork, shove it in the micro for a wee minute or so until the skin just starts to darken. Much easier to remove the peel when its a bit softer.

Hello,

Some great ideas for the mighty squash!
I am going to try butternut squash chips tonight and am hoping one of you experts might be able to offer some tips:

Par-boil or not par-boil?
Skin on or skin off?
How long in the oven at what temperature?

I've perfected potato SW chips now (I don't parboil, I cut them up and shove them straight in the oven at 200oC, shake them up after 15 mins then serve 15 minutes after that) but notice BNS goes very soft when I roast it compared to the tatties so am wondering how to not make it turn out as a mushy mess that all needs mashing together! :)

I do my bns in to wedges - like roasties - dont par boil and shove in the oven coated in fry light for 30-45 mins gm 6 - but will depend on ur oven
hth
x

There is a nice butternut squash recipe in the extra easy cook book. Risotto with bacon and leeks. It was yummy and free on extra easy.

I'm going to try a few Success Express days and I reckon these are going to be a godsend - free on both red and green, so count towards the 2/3 superfree I need on my plate, but so many things you can do with them that are just like potatoes - roast, mash, chips, wedges etc.

For a quick lunch, I take a small butternut squash, cut it in half lengthways, spray it with Frylight and cook it , cut side down, on a baking dish in the oven until it is soft.

Turn it up the right way, scoop out the seeds, sprinkle with some salt, lots of black pepper, and some finely grated parmesan cheese. Eat with a spoon!

Sounds yummy : )

I did a Butternut squash risotto in the slow cooker and it was amazing. Hubby is always suspect of a meal without meat, but even this next day he was still talking about it and my vegetarian son was 'in heaven' - will post if anyone wants the recipe. Marian x

1 large butternut squash or 1 small
Handfull of chopped sage leaves
1 onion
9 oz arborio rice (risotto rice)
1.5 pt vegetable stock (I used 2 veg stock cubes)
7 oz frozen peas
7 oz frozen sweetcorn
Frylight
Parmesan (HEXa)

Put onion and rice into sautepan and spray with Frylight. Cook for approx 5 - 7mins, until rice is fully coated and onion opaque. Watch out that it doesn't start to burn. Meanwhile make up veg stock with boiling water. Pour stock into Slow cooker, add rice and cook on high for approx 1 - 1.5 hrs. Time does vary a bit, but add a little more stock if necessary.

Light boil/steam peas and sweetcorn and leave to drain. Meanwhile dice the butternut squash into small cubes and spread out on a large flat baking tray. Spray with Frylight and scatter over the chopped sage leaves. Bake for 25 - 30 mins.

About 10 - 15 mins before rice is fully cooked, add the butternut squash, peas and sweetcorn and mix well. Continue to cook for 10-15 mins until piping hot.

Divide onto serving plates and sprinkle over parmesan.

Enjoy ;)

Butternut squash, leek and spinach soup - syn free, packed full of goodness and really filling on a cold day for lunch x

You can cut the squash in half and take out the seeds and roast it in the oven on low until its a bit softer. Meanwhile make a lovely sauce out of quorn mince, veggies, herbs and passata. Then spoon it on top of the squash making sure loads of the sauce goes in the hole where you took out the seeds. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese or mozzarella or even parmesan and put back into the oven! Lovely with a nice corn on the cob!

i have just chopped up half a squash, 2 carrots, 2 potatoes and 2 onions. added 2 veg stock cubes and water and a tablespoon of curry powder. simmered for ages and now eating it. it is absolutely gorgeous!

Back