Squeaky Treadmills

Elemental

Chasing the Rainbow
So i started my c25k again today. Last time i felt really self conscious as the first treadmill i went on squeaked really loudly if i went over 3.5 miles an hour. Moved to the next one and it did the same. There was a big guy on another one and his wasnt squeaking so i vowed to go on that one next time.....did this morning....and guess what?

Is it just my size? I'm sure it never used to happen. I am so aware of it being annoying for other people in the gym, it didn't bother me so much as i had my earphones in but for 30 mins it must be doing their heads in. But I don't want to quit now :confused::confused::confused:

Squeeky? Mmmm cant say I experienced that...but I really dont think its your weight. a much more plausible explanation is your running technique and you are probably landing heavier that you should.

- dont let your front foot travel too far ahead of your body, this is the most likley reason for noise (runnign on treadmills is not the same as running on ground)
- be upright not forward lean
- try pulling your striking foot upward sort of up toward hip once landed
- put a small incline on 1.5% is fine

be aware of your technique and oddly running softer will reduce knee impact and you will last longer not just quieter

Squeaking is the only way i can think to desrcibe it. It is each time my foot strikes the belt but I've never noticed it when i've ran before. I did try to run like a weightless fairy but it didn't seem to help. lol.

I really appreciate all those tips though I will try and improve my posture tomorrow when I run, and I will try the incline aswell. Wish me luck.....

It just seems odd that it never happened before, and i've been going to the gym (on and off granted) for nearly a year!! :confused:

at least they dont stop suddenly on you :(
when my heart rate goes very high the machine just stops, no warning at all just stops. apparently my heart rate is 220bmp to the machine. its not that high on my HRM watch!!

Wow isn't that dangerous? Can't you just not do your heartrate on the machine and use your HRM instead?

I tried it again today , actually spoke to the manager's wife and she said it's not right and it shouldn't squeak regardless. She came down to see which ones were doing it and a lady who just walks on the treadmill knew of a few that squeak. So few it's not just me.

I have taken on board though the advise about improving my form and posture. Got through my whole run feeling less guilty as i had reported it, and also the gym was dead at 6am for a change and those who were there all had earphones in.

Lets hope its just the belt needs some WD40 or something? :eek::D

Good for you Eternal for starting your c25k :) Sadly for me iv had to put it to next week as had 2 days in hospital on morphine for severe migraine so iv got to make sure im totally over that episode as cant risk it returning :( But im all set to start on monday :) Its often the suspension on the machines that squeek at my gym. I def dont think its anything to do with your weight. These commercial treadmills are built for it so i wouldnt worry on that. Lets hope the manager can sort them all out. I was on a machine at gym today that was not level, that was annoying!! x

Ah hun I am so sorry to hear that you've been unwell. Morphine though eh? Nice stuff isnt it lol !!

The machines are unlevel actually i had noticed that, it would make perfect sense that it was the suspension. Completed day 2 level one now and feeling fine, knee joint is tingling a bit but thats an old injury, i'm being super careful.

Not started the shred yet as we have a houseguest and so the front room is never free lol I might even do each week twice because I am rather overweight and so not used to running :rolleyes:

Sorry to barge in on your thread but all I could think when I was reading it was that if I thought that much about how I was running on a treadmill I would simply fall off! ;0)
I run in the woods where there are only old people walking their dogs, would hate to do it in front of hardcore gym folk xx

Wow isn't that dangerous? Can't you just not do your heartrate on the machine and use your HRM instead?

I tried it again today , actually spoke to the manager's wife and she said it's not right and it shouldn't squeak regardless. She came down to see which ones were doing it and a lady who just walks on the treadmill knew of a few that squeak. So few it's not just me.

I have taken on board though the advise about improving my form and posture. Got through my whole run feeling less guilty as i had reported it, and also the gym was dead at 6am for a change and those who were there all had earphones in.

Lets hope its just the belt needs some WD40 or something? :eek::D

i dont intentionally use the HRM thing on the machine, i just happen to hold it there :p

Sorry to barge in on your thread but all I could think when I was reading it was that if I thought that much about how I was running on a treadmill I would simply fall off! ;0)
I run in the woods where there are only old people walking their dogs, would hate to do it in front of hardcore gym folk xx

lol @ hardcore gym folk, they all go in the evenings when us normal people are too tired :D I refuse to go at peak times. 6am is the same vibe as dog walkers, everyone says "morning" and there's a nice vibe of friendliness :)

the only time thats suitable for me apart from weekends is the evening. i have been early before work but ive been that tired in the afternoon ive almost nodded off!

when i mentioned the treadmill stopping for no reason all the instructor did was change the programme slightly and make it on an incline of 1.5 :S i like incline of 3..... :(

Back