Stallers and crawlers

CyberRuby

Trucker Extraordinaire
I joined SW back in mid October. I had a couple of 4lb losses in the first 2 weeks, then a couple of 1 or 1.5lb losses, and since then I've been up and down like a yoyo with no more significant losses.

I'm deeply frustrated - I am sticking to the plan 100%, and I keep my syns down to less than 70 per week. Others in my group frequently go out for meals or have takeaways (Indian, Chinese etc) and still lose weight. I know this is a long process, and I'm not expecting overnight results, but since joining I've only lost about 10lbs (in more than 12 weeks). When you see stories about people who have lost 10 stone in a year doing SW, you start to wonder what you're doing wrong! I've got 5 stone to lose, and I feel like I'm staring up Everest and my Sherpa has gone on a tea break.

Anyone else have a frustrating start? How did you get past the frustrating times? How did you kick start the serious weight loss?

R

I'm still quite new, but I've heard some recommendations from others:

Try going full Red or full Green for a week just to give your body a change
Try to switch what Healthy Extras you are having
Cut down on the low calorie soft drinks
Try to eat dinner before 7pm
Drink as much water as you can
Try to add some exercise in
Measure yourself instead of weighing yourself

Hope these help and don't give up!

I'm still quite new, but I've heard some recommendations from others:

Try going full Red or full Green for a week just to give your body a change
Try to switch what Healthy Extras you are having
Cut down on the low calorie soft drinks
Try to eat dinner before 7pm
Drink as much water as you can
Try to add some exercise in
Measure yourself instead of weighing yourself

Hope these help and don't give up!

Eating before or after 7pm doesn't effect your weight loss at all!! It is one of those diet myths like carbs being evil!!

My weight does the same as yours. Sometimes it comes of in 3, 4, 5 lbs at a time and others for weeks at a time I will stay the same, or lose 1/2 or 1lb. Just keep going, and persevere, your body will please itself but it will come off

Something that I tell myself when things start to slow down is that it takes time to gain all that weight so it will take time to get it off.

If you are not having between 10 - 15 syns per day you are not doing the plan 100% Remember 1 lb a week is 52 lbs a year which is over 3 and half stone. It is not a race or a competition. pop a food diary on here and we may be able to spot somethings you can change. Do you measure all your milk all day even when working etc ?

Are you measuring all your HEXs??? I got really lazy with milk etc. and was guestimating - it all adds up and may slow things down! I'm a 'slow' loser too but onwards and downwards! Good luck with your SW journey xxx

Wow, thanks guys - you're fast!

To respond to some specifics...

@Brightonrosie - I am having minimum 70 syns per week (so 10 a day). Had to fight initially my urge to avoid the syns - brain programming from other crazy diets I have tried before where eating choc (or even fruit) would have been an absolute fail. I think I'm doing okay on these now, but I have to keep reminding myself it's okay to syn.

@Devon_Dumpling - HEXs I measure religiously. I have a flask-type cup from Starbucks so on the odd occasion now where I get a skinny latte, I know they're not giving me more than 350mls. I have been tempted to pack in wheaty stuff as an experiment, but this makes B HEXs really awkward for me.

@Meli - I am trying to mix up my days. I was pure red days for about the first 6 weeks, but my consultant advised me to switch up a bit. Interesting point about low-cal soft drinks; my brother-in-law is doing SW and one of the things he gave up was diet coke/pepsi. He has lost 2 stone so far, so that might be something I could try. I don't drink them every day, but it's worth a shot. Re: exercise, I run 2 miles 5 days a week and lift weights on the other days. I can't really up my routine any further without it serious impinging upon my work/social life!

I've been chronicling my food intake over at Live Journal, but I only started that a few days ago. DrRoobles

Thank you for your comments and your encouragement - much appreciated!

R

Keep at it! You're doing all the right things!

One good suggestion that worked for me is to up the amount (and number) of speed foods I ate each day. We used to have a challenge here - eat 5 speed foods a day (and post what they are).

Seems to work, and might bring some variety to your food too!

Some people just have to live with the fact that they are taking the scenic route!

I am in that club- I lose an average of 1lb per week. There are lots of people who lose faster, and if a quick fix is what you want then there are other plans out there which will help you drop weight much quicker than SW.

But- if you want to re-educate your body and mind into having a healthy and normal relationship with food, this will take time. Join me on the scenic route and teach yourself slowly along the way. I am proof that the odd 1lb a week truly adds up- it has taken me 20 months so far, but 6 stone has been obliterated forever- (not to be gained quickly after a quick fix radical diet)

The way I look at it is, I have to live through the time anyway- might as well stick with it- and imagine if I had given up after 2 months because I wasn't losing fast enough? Bet I would weigh MORE than my start weight, and actually I weigh less now that I ever have in my adult life

Good luck, mate

xxx

are u sure u are eating enough the weeks i tend to miss meals for whatever reason i tend to have a slow lose as for drinking low cal soft drinks i personaly only drink diet irn bru and have at least 3 litres a day and it aint did me any harm but what works for me might not work for u but keep at it :)

Hiya. I'm a plodder too! So by the time i've taken xmas gain into account i've lost around 11lbs in nearly 20 weeks!! BUT people are noticing and because of the exercise i've changed shape alot. Someone mentioned posting a food diary. It's a brill idea. If you're running and weight training alot are you sure you're eating enough? Your bod will go into panic mode and hang on to the darned stuff if you're not giving it enought fuel. Keep the faith and good luck!

I am a slow loser too, losing an average of a pound a week. A few weeks I STS or had small losses, and some weeks lost 2 or 3 pounds.
I drink plenty of diet coke, always eat after 7pm and skip meals as I only eat when I am hungry. I do eat a lot of veg though.
I normally have 15 syns a day. Sometimes a little less and sometimes more.
However, I am more than happy with my weight loss and have accepted that this is the way I will eat for the rest of my life.
Good luck. You will lose.

@paperclip - I like the idea of the super-speed challenge. I think I will set it for myself each day.

@cocktailprincess - that's an amazing achievement, well done! You give me hope for my own leisurely stroll down weight-loss avenue ;- )

@evethewitch - yeah, my consultant told me off when she read my food diary that I wasn't cramming enough veg in there during the day. I keep trying!

@beccy_bebe - It's so easy to forget to refuel the engine! Unfortunately I've gotten into some really bad habits over many years of desperately trying everything to lose weight, including depriving myself out of some sense of martyrdom. My common-sense brain knows it's not the way to do it (in fact it's going to have the *opposite* effect eventually) but I find myself doing it anyway. I will get there, and SW has helped so much.

Thank you all for your encouragement. I think more important than speedy weight loss, and the reason I just paid up for 12 more weeks of SW, is that I have now completed almost 14 weeks of no binging, no fasting, and no bouts of bulimia. I've been fighting with my weight and my eating disorder for 20 years (more than half of my life), and I literally can't remember the last time I was this much in control of my eating. I am so grateful to have finally found something that works.

Thanks all!

Back