Start of the final weight loss journey

deq

18/04/08 After much soul searching and bags of crisps, lbs of butter and cakes I've finally realised that I'm not doing very well at deiting on my own. I lose on every diet I've ever tried - a good 1 -2 stone very quickly (I'm very big) and then the demons come back and it all goes down hill. I've now decided (with my doctors blessing) to look at bariatric sugery, probably a bypass.
I've been referred (August 2008) to our clinician at the local hospital who puts patients forward for NHS funding but as yet I haven't seen him. So I've took matters into my own hands, done loads and loads of reseach and have now booked a private consultation in Manchester. I have a large and painful stomach hernia that requires an operation to fix, but because my BMI is so high (64), I have to get my BMI to 40 (around 7stones). I need to know if it will be possible to have a bypass with my tummy in the state its in. At the moment I'm clinging to the hope of a bypass...
My new appt is for Friday 8th May.
I've started all about W8 again (yesterday) to prove to myself that I can lose weight and I need to be healthier for any op!
Notes to self: keep positive!

Okey a relatively good weekend. Did loads at home, finally sorted out the black hole of calcutta that is my wardrobe and feel mightly pleased with myself for doing it.
Food not too bad; I've definately cut down over the past couple of days and my tummy is feeling much better for it.
Ordered a couple of books reviewed by Mrs Cakey Buns and am eagerly awaiting them. The key to WLS seems to be getting as much quality research done as possiobnle. If I ever get to see the NHS chap over here then I really need to know my stuff as paying for the op is not going to be easy, the transport costs to and from England are astronamical (around £200+ for 2 people and car) - I daren't even look at the plane.
Back to today, don't worry aout the future as everything will fall into place....its always does.
Note to self - you've worked hard this weekend, have a good pamper this evening

I've been talking to a comp. therapist who has advised my liver is very sluggish (hardly difficult to spot - bad skin, yellow tinge to eyes, very lethargic etc), however she did tell me about the benefits of an apple detox. Gillian McKeith (my heroine in a former life) speaks of apples in relation to liver health so I thought I'd give it a go. Basically I eat apples, apple juice (pure) and water and nothing else for 3 days. Sounds faddy I know but wth some of the weird and wonderful things I've done over the years is probably not the most insane.
So I've been to tesco and bought juice and apples and have started already. If nothing else at least it will get me a bit more regular! After the 3 days I start my w8 soups proper following the regular plan.
Sounds good in theory but guess what I'm going to prove to myself that I can do this.:happy096:

well if there was ever a reason to lose weight I experienced it late Friday night. Ernie my large and unstable stomach hernia decided to erupt on Friday leaving me to spend the weekend in hospital. I have never been so scared or in as much pain before in my life. The pain was much worse than gall stones or even giving birth to my lovely little boy. If I'm ever tempted to eat unhealthy foods again I need to think of the following:
1. the unbelievable gut wrenching pain
2. the indescribable embarrassment of a rectal examination
3. the tell tales looks of what does she expect being so big on the face of the on call surgeon
4. the supportive and inspriational words of the consultant surgeon who reviewed my case
5. the letter from my daughter telling me I have to be with her as I'm her role model

Well my journey is well and truly started. I saw Prof MJ McMahon in manchester on Friday and the answer is yes. If I don't have the op done I will be dead within the next 5 to 10 years. I'm only 42 with 2 children (10 + 2) so this is a no brainer. So the hunt for funding is now on. I have a provsional date of 23rd July in Leeds and the hard work starts in earnest today. What preperation did you guys undertake to get ready for your op? Debs

Back