Started Atkins three days ago

echoburning

21/M/Bolton
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself and say "hello"!

Here's what I've been doing so far

I started a low carb diet a few weeks ago (nowhere near as strict as Atkins induction) and then stopped to go onto calorie counting.

That didn't work for me so I bought the Atkins book and started induction 3 days ago.

So far, I'm not finding it too difficult. I'm fasting during the day as part of Ramadhan so am only having two meals, one in the evening and one in the early hours.

My meals are getting quite boring at the moment so I'll definately try some of the recipes on this board. So far I've been having chicken and salad and cheese omelette for breakfast.

I have been craving biscuits and milky, sugary tea so I was planning on making a MiM today. Checked on the Asda website where they do linseed so popped off to the local store where they don't stock it :(

I'll have to try in town tomorrow. I need a sweet fix! By the way, one of the recipes mentioned adding unsweetened cocoa to the MiM, i couldn't find this in Asda.

Does anyone use a specific brand? I'd also appreciate if anyone could recommend a specific brand of vitamins. I'll be in a bit of a rush in the morning and won't have time to read through all the labels :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

:D

Hi Echo, and welcome! :D

MiMs are fantastic, you'll never look back. I found cocoa in the baking section in some supermarkets. Green & Black's seems to be the lowest carb content.

I use a Holland & Barratt one-a-day mega multi-vitamin (red label), they seem pretty cheap to me.

Good luck! :)

Yeah check out the baking section, i use bornville coco powder.

I use multibionta [sp] multi vits. they only give you 36% of iron and pretty much 100% everything else. You'll get plenty of iron in this diet.

Hi echo and welcome to our little Atkins forum. I can't believe you're trying to diet during Ramadham, That must be really hard work.

Thanks for the welcome everyone,

Setanti- I like the sound of Green and Black's, i'll have to check in town. :)

Zimara - I did see Bournville but i think i was expecting it to say 'unsweetened' somewhere ;), i had a look at the carb content and i thought it was too high. I'll have another look and work out how much one teaspoon would be.

Jim- it's actually a lot easier I've found. If I have cravings, I KNOW i can't do anything about them during the day until the fast is broken, by which time i've forgotten about it. I did have real cravings for sugar after my evening meal, we always have a mug of milky sugary tea which is brewed very slowly in a pan for about 20 minutes. It tastes so good. I think I'm over it now though and if i can get my hands on some ketostix i can have a look at whether i've hit ketosis!

I'm looking forward to getting involved on here.

Thanks again, off to work now :(

Hi, welcome & good luck. Could you try the tea with cream & splenda? :)

Welcome Echo, you will love doing Atkins :)

Re vitamins, I take a load of Tescos every day at lunchtime -
- Coenzyme Q10 (a friend of mine swears by them for a healthy heart and as an antioxidant)
- Vitamin B complex (because I've just started exercising after being a couch potato for years)
- multivitamins with cod liver oil (I'm allergic to most fish and shellfish so can't do omega 3)
- chromium (helps metabolise protein and fat, and processes body sugar better)
- Vitamin D and calcium (because we don't get enough sunshine here and it can help ward off cancer - allegedly!)

All of this is washed down with 1000gmg effervescent Vitamin C raspberry flavoured mmm (I'm a smoker - I know I know, the next thing to work on once I lose some more weight)

Hope this all helps :)

Susie

Hi, they sell flaxseed in asda but it's in the cereal section. I had looked for it before in different sections but came across it the other day. Same price as holland and barrett though x

Hi echo,welcome to this very friendly group,everyone is really helpful.
I take the boots magnesium calcium and vit d,(read you needed these in the new atkins book) & a multi vit.
lorna x

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies and warm welcome.

I managed to get my hand on some brown linseed. Do they need to blended first into a floury consistency? Looking forward to getting my sugar fix.

And tea with cream and splenda sounds great too! :)

Back