Starting 2m... scared!

peanut

Hi,

Im starting LL 2m and am a little scared! :sigh:

Did anyone esle feel like this. Realization of what i've signed up to do (not eat or drink for 100 days!) has started to sink in! On the flip side feels like this is the right thing to do - to make a change im so desperate for. :D

Any thoughts anyone?

Hi Peanut! It's quite understandable - this is a huge change and any change is scary. Also, if you've done lots of other diets and failed, it's hard to believe you're not going to fail at this one. I've just finished my 100 days, and in my group about half found it really difficult not eating and drinking. The other half (including me) found it strangely easy. The thing you'll be working on is not your body, but your head. If you tell yourself it's difficult and scary, that's what you'll feel. If you tell yourself it's great, and a big adventure, you'll feel that instead.

The first couple of days are a bit difficult, but after that there's no reason you should be suffering unless you tell yourself that you are. And the weight really does come off as fast as they say. Don't worry about individual weeks, which can be good or bad, but in the long run you really will lose about a stone a month.

This is a wonderful gift you are about to give yourself, and I really hope you can enjoy the journey as well as the destination!

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel so excited and scared! Was quite difficult getting into the class as the LLC was waiting for people to join. I think for me that not eating food will help as I dont have to think about what im eating - im so busy at work and knackered when I get in to cook low fat and healthy etc.

In a moment of craziness I booked my theroy test (driving!) for the 20th thinking it would keep me busy! Maybe not such a great idea as this first week might be hard. lol

Did you find people encouraging. I've had a mixed bag. Why now, wait till after xmas etc..?

Doing this for me and am not going to wait! I've always put things of and this time im not. I dont care it xmas! Usually another oppertunity to stuff myself stupid. Im bothered about not drinking more!

Who do you find going out and not drinking?

Hey Peanut :D
How are you getting on?
Zomble has hit the nail on the head with this comment: The thing you'll be working on is not your body, but your head.
So true!
Once you get the practicalities out of the way, primarily trying out all of the packs and finding the best way for you to use them and of course, the all important managing the endless loo visits! Then you're off and running!
I've done over 200 days - had a wobble in Development and still in Development! But reckon I'll be almost done by Christmas.

Our beloved Mrs L has done a fantastic guide on getting through Foundation which is a must read. If you check out her posts you will find it (I'm sure someone of a technical persuasion will comment on the best way to find it!)

Keep posting - some of us have been here all year long, and we still have the pleasure of some longer timers posting so you'll get all of the virtual support you'll need.
:D

Hey Tiger girl.

Well the clock is ticking and I am not feeling nervous now! Bizarre think I have finally decided in my own head that the time is right!

I will look up Mrs L's guide as I really dont have a clue. Tonight I am being weighed and measured! Scary!!! But will be worth it.

Are you nearing your goal now?

Sorry for being so dumb, but what is LL 2M? I thought there was only the one LL programme.

Doh! :eek:

Sorry thats me being lazy when typing!

Musical missy i like your goal! great way to think of it...

Thanks Peanut - and hopefully not too long til I get there either! Its almost more exciting seeing the second figure on my ticker go down than seeing the first one go up (if that makes any sense!)

Good luck with your LL journey!

MM x

Dear Peanut

I know EXACTLY how you feel. When I started, most of my group were excited about wearing summer clothes and all I could think about was how was I NOT going to eat for three months!!! (I didn't even think beyond Foundation!). Anyway, I documented my whole journey on my blog but I also wrote some guides - based on my experiences and downfalls - so here's the one for beginners, which I hope will help you.

Good luck; even though I am struggling with Route to Management at the moment, LighterLife has opened my eyes to being slim and it's amazing for that!! :D

http://www.minimins.com/lighter-life...-please-2.html (Advice for people starting out, please!)

If you embrace the programme, come onto minis regularly and make sure you get back up, you will find it's the business. Well, I did and so did many of us from earlier this year. Check out Cerulean's posts as well.

Thinking of you!

Mrs Lxxxxxxxx

Hi Mrs Lard,

Thank you for your words! m going to have a read of your blog now, I have to wait until 7.45 for the class to start. Seems like 10 years away......

I still cant get my head round being slim! I feel like its a dream more then a reality that I can make happen. I do however feel optimistic and also determined - things I have not felt when starting a diet. Its always been a bit half a&sed!

Phew.... roll on 7:45! lets hope I can do as well as you guys!

Peanut.

Thanks Zomble - I will!

Ali - the top link didnt work for me either.

Try this one from the bottom of the page
The Lard Arms

Have just read Feb/March and its really good. I cant belive how many of the same things went through Mrs Lard head as I have had!

Dear Peanut

I've done a cut and paste....

Better late than never, I hope. I agree with everyone's suggestions above; my neighbour has also taken the plunge! She is off to the introductory session this week and wanted some tips. I found myself answering the "how did you do it?" questions, so here's my guide, based on what worked and what didn't for me (and I'm not "there" yet, of course):

THE FOODPACKS

It's really important to start the programme with a positive frame of mind - most people do tend to feel a mixture of excitement and dread. If you've seen the foodpacks before starting, your mind (and other people!) will be telling you that you couldn't possibly survive on four sachets (or three and a bar by the end of week one) a day! Suspend disbelief and start finding out which flavours you like.

There is something for everyone - I particularly disliked the vegetable pack and I tried it at the beginning, middle and end of Foundation and my reaction was always the same. Thanks but no thanks.

To cook or not to cook, that is the question..

I did not have access to a microwave until after Foundation, which was no bad thing as I was ready for variety. I think being able to make 'crisps' would have curbed my obsession with the real thing so if you are a creative cook (I definitely wasn't), you may find having a microwave feeds your inner chef without deviating from the plan.

It is really important to eat all four packs, every single day. No more, no less. And one bar, absolute tops!

And if you still have to cook for other people, make the first week a ready-meal fest. Fortunately, there are enough brands out there that aren't loaded with sugar, salt and fat. The critical thing is to minimise temptation in those early days.

There are enough places on the internet (<a href="http://www.minimins.com">www.minimins.com</a >) to find some recipes for packs but my advice is keep it simple (soups and shakes only) in the first few weeks.

PHYSICAL EFFECTS

LighterLife is hardcore - no two ways about it. Going into ketosis can range from being absolutely fine to absolutely not fine. I felt cold and tired for a LONG time after starting the programme but when I look back at my diet, it's not really surprising that it was in shock!

Try to drink as much water as possible - my neighbour doesn't drink any so I advised her to start with one glass a day and build up from then. Otherwise, zero to four litres is a hell of a leap. And drinking water (more than four litres once you are into the programme) really does speed up the weight loss (but don't ask me how).

You are what you eat (or what you don't eat!); lots of people find that LighterLife radically alters their bodily functions. Be prepared and get advice from your LLC about how to handle your particular situation. FYI - I needed 'help' and found psyllium husks in capsule form worked for me BUT you need to check if they affect ketosis.

Ketosis is KING in LighterLife.

THE SESSIONS

It's absolutely vital that you make the commitment to attend the sessions; ok, let's be honest, the DVDs aren't 100% fantastic BUT it's the one chance to really learn and understand why and how you got to the point (wth your weight) when LighterLife seemed like the only option left. Many people do LighterLife becauuse of the "now or never" situation. As you work together, in a closed group, you will be able to connect with people who have had a similar relationship to food as you. It's liberating to know that these people understand exactly what you mean when you talk about food in a way that perhaps friends, partners and family may not.

By making a commitment to attending the sessions, you are making a commitment to yourself. Many people doing LighterLife have forgotten how to do that - make themselves a priority. Many of us are busy (or have been busy) taking care of everyone else and, somehow, we got left behind (to eat all the pies)!

THE COUNSELLING AND RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR COUNSELLOR

It's really important that you like your LighterLife Counsellor. If you feel you do not connect, don't go to his or her classes. Shop around. Your Counsellor is the one who will support you through this journey so make sure that you feel comfortable.

My own view - which maybe controversial - is that it is much, much better to find a Counsellor who has done the programme because they needed to (not because it was part of their securing the franchise). For example, I have issues with food but I have no idea what it's like to be anorexic so I couldn't really advise someone how to handle it. So how can someone really empathise with me, I wonder, if they have never been overweight?

GOAL SETTING

This is absolutely vital and something I did not do in Foundation. I was too scared to set the SMART goals in week one or two. But EVEN IF you don't think you'll ever achieve those goals, write them down. I wish I had done this because I think Foundation would have been a lot less of a rocky ride (emotionally and mentally) if I had.

GROUP DYNAMICS + HOMEWORK

Contribute to the group discussions during your LighterLife sessions. What you put in, you get out. Sometimes, I worried that I said too much during the sessions but people were glad to see someone be so honest (about their food anxieties).

Do your homework - even if your LLC doesn't set you any. The Green Foundation book has enough exercises to keep you busy during the week, between your LighterLife sessions.

EXERCISE

Apart from walking 10,000 steps everyday, monitored by the LighterLife pedometer, I did no exercise. This was a mistake. I would not advocate doing serious cardiovascular workouts but The Bodydoctor's (Bodydoctor Fitness - Fitness, Slimming, Training and Weight loss programmes) stomach plan is the business. If you start, as you mean to go on, you may be helping to prevent loose skin by ensuring that you are toning up as you move through Foundation.

SUPPORT - ON- AND OFF-LINE

LighterLife is a personal journey BUT should not be embarked alone (I don't think); there are enough people online to give you a virtual network, should you need it. Tell immediate friends and family so that they can cheer you on. Find out what works for you!

These are the blogs that I recommend for the beginner:

Live to Slim - Bring It On

My CambridgeLife - iBlog, Do You?

eiras lighter life - iBlog, Do You?

Hunger for More! | Diet, fitness, weight loss blog

My LighterLife Journey - iBlog, Do You?

julie's lighterlife journey - iBlog, Do You?

Lisa's Lighterlife diet - iBlog, Do You?

OUT AND PROUD OR SECRET SQUIRREL?

Some people doing LighterLife tell everyone they know! I admire that confidence. Some, like me, are so petrified that it wouldn't work that we operate on a need-to-know basis!

The best tip for awkward social situations is to say you are on a medically-supervised diet and the doctor has been very strict with you.

MIND GAMES

LighterLife may, you think, be all about the scales and your weightloss. But it's about so much more; it's about your mind. Successful dieters acknowledge that until they changed their mindset, they continued to yo-yo, losing and gaining the same weight, over and over again.

This is the one time where you can make yourself the priority and focus and it is indeed a golden time to sort out those niggling issues (or big, serious issues) that helped you to get to the weight you are at now.

Ignore the psychological issues that come up during Foundation...at your peril!

LOOSE SKIN

Yes, there IS a chance loose skin will appear but it isn't nearly as bad as you think, particularly if you are toning your muscles (arms, legs and tums) and moisturising regularly. The skin does take time to catch up with the diet so give yourself plenty of time after Foundation to see how things are progressing.

DITCH THE DIARY DATES

Clear your diary! That is one of the best things I can recommend although others may disagree. I suggest this because abstinence is hard enough without having to negotiate a social minefield. This really is YOUR time and the one and only time you will probably be able to make yourself the top priority.

Social events will always continue to happen, regardless of whether you miss them for a few months, or so.

AND... FINALLY

Don't eat food that isn't on the programme, which pretty much rules out...err...everything. Don't cheat because it's true that it really is hard to get back on board, however strong you believe your motivation to succeed is. If you are aware of the pitfalls, you have almost cracked LighterLife.

Hope that helps! :D:D:D

Morning All,

Well I went..... and I loved it! My class are really friendly and we didnt stop talking. There where tears also from a few which made me feel like I was glad I was there - as I could offer words of support and just listen.

I've just drank my first banana shake and it was pretty nice! Not the watery concoction I thought it might be!

Thank you all for your kind words it helped me in having the confidence to go last night and you know what im really glad I did!

Peanut :):p

Morning All,

Well I went..... and I loved it! My class are really friendly and we didnt stop talking. There where tears also from a few which made me feel like I was glad I was there - as I could offer words of support and just listen.

I've just drank my first banana shake and it was pretty nice! Not the watery concoction I thought it might be!

Thank you all for your kind words it helped me in having the confidence to go last night and you know what im really glad I did!

Peanut :):p

Congratulations! I really hope you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets the best from this programme. It sounds as if you will because you're thinking so positively already, and (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) that is the secret!

Very soon you'll see the pounds melting away, and then you'll feel even better. Go you!

Thanks Mrs Lard, am going to have a read now over my shake.

Am i mad it thinking wow this all seems a bit easy?

Every other diet i have been on by 11:00am i am contemplating eating my own fist.

Feel a bit headachy but nothing major.....

Im home alone tonight so am a bit worried about that and that the fridge will call to me!

Think i'll come on here instead and chat with you guys and keep my mind off it.

Back