starting atkins today

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by lea.lea83, 21 March 2011 Social URL.

1. lea.lea83

lea.lea83 Member

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(7.73%)
    Diet:
    atkins
    Hi guys.

So starting atkins today. Tried lipotrim but managed only a week a few wks ago. Was not for me. Fantastic if you can stick to it but I found the whole not eating too hard. As the theory side of atkins is along the same lines of lipotrim ie: ketosis thought maybe atkins would be a little more suited to me.

A few questions if some1 could help pls...??

Carbs: the whole counting carbs is a little confusing. am I to count in everything I eat, 3 cups of salad/veg, cream, mayo etc how do I no how much is in the veg and salad?

I drink an awful lot of coffee. In the book I read you can drink decaf with cream but I have read this morning I have read that I can have 2 cups of caffeinated coffee with soy milk!! Can someone pls clear this up for me.

so anyway wish me luck, hope I do aswel as you guys on here. Will be reading and checking up on every1s progress xx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    Hi Lea and welcome

I've been on strict induction since August (minus a few months where I mucked about!) and I do count my carbs but not in a thorough way. When on induction you need to keep under 20g carbs a day and most of this should come from green leafy vegetables. For all of the details, read Jim's sticky at the top, "So you're thinking of starting Atkins".

I count one very big handful as a mug of greens - and I have three of those a day from the allowed list (see the sticky for this list). I then allow myself about 5 carbs a day on bits and pieces - soya milk, cheese (which stalls me so I don't have it often), maybe some tomatoes or pesto sauce, etc.

Re the coffee - I think you're advised to drink decaff for induction - but I'm not sure if that's to break all your food habits (like having milk and sugar in it) or if the caffeine stalls you? I used to drink about 4 coffees and 4 diet cokes a day - and now I have one cup of tea and one latte, both made from soya milk - I just count the soya milk in my daily allowance.

4. skinnylala

skinnylala Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    weightwatchers
    good luck am on day one too and total confused

5. mustdoit

mustdoit susan

Diet:
    atkins
    hi it will take a while to get confident with this diet .......... i count the milk in my carbs first and last coffees of the day !! xx

6. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Hi welcome:). It does get easier......i used to worry about fat in restaurants now im looking for all the carbs lol

7. J2BLUE

J2BLUE Low Carber

Start Weight:
    0st0lb
    Current Weight:
    0st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    0st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(NAN%)
    Don't worry about the coffee unless you feel totally buzzed. Caffeine is a stimulant and Atkins said the stimulation of ketosis would be enough for some. I drank tea and diet pepsi and never suffered. It's an individual thing. Also for veg, follow Jim's (very successful Atkins maestro) example by just using cups.

Welcome and good luck.

8. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Hi Lea and welcome to the board

9. skinnylala

skinnylala Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    weightwatchers
    hi hope u got thru day one ok

10. lea.lea83

lea.lea83 Member

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(7.73%)
    Diet:
    atkins
    Aw thanks for the comments!, th e support from here helps and the advice! Posted another thread on my progress x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.