Step2 810kcal Starting Cambridge Diet on Monday 16th, advice needed re: bars

Hi everyone,

What a great website, my first day, so please be gentle...

I'm starting Cambridge on Monday 16th on Step 2, 810cal; and trying to decide my food order. My CDC has said that I can have the bars, once a day but I've read that this could knock you off ketosis or delay weight loss. I've also read that others have been told not to eat bars for the first two weeks. I've only met my consultant once and liked her a lot, and she knows her stuff, so no reason to doubt her counsel. Also, having looked at the nutritional information for the bars, I note the crunchy ones more or less have similar carb contents to soups and shakes, and even less than the porridge.

Did you start your journey on Step 2? Were you allowed to have the bars? Do you feel strongly that I shouldn't have the bars in the first two weeks even though my CDC said they are fine? Any advice hugely appreciated.

History wise, today I weigh 121.3kg, I'm 41, have dieted all my adult life, Atkins, Dukan, all sorts of low carb diets since discovery of PCOS in 2008, prior to which, I lost a bit of weight calorie counting. I usually lose weight first week of diets and then grinds to a halt mostly from week 2 or 3. However, 7 years ago, I weighed 127kg and managed to lose 6.5 stones in 2.5 years low-carbing. Kept most of it off for 4 years, until last year, the year from hell!

I'm hoping that Cambridge works for me and I want to lose the weight as soon as possible and willing to do whatever it takes.

Many thanks

Hi everyone, What a great website, my first day, so please be gentle... I'm starting Cambridge on Monday 16th on Step 2, 810cal; and trying to decide my food order. My CDC has said that I can have the bars, once a day but I've read that this could knock you off ketosis or delay weight loss. I've also read that others have been told not to eat bars for the first two weeks. I've only met my consultant once and liked her a lot, and she knows her stuff, so no reason to doubt her counsel. Also, having looked at the nutritional information for the bars, I note the crunchy ones more or less have similar carb contents to soups and shakes, and even less than the porridge. Did you start your journey on Step 2? Were you allowed to have the bars? Do you feel strongly that I shouldn't have the bars in the first two weeks even though my CDC said they are fine? Any advice hugely appreciated. History wise, today I weigh 121.3kg, I'm 41, have dieted all my adult life, Atkins, Dukan, all sorts of low carb diets since discovery of PCOS in 2008, prior to which, I lost a bit of weight calorie counting. I usually lose weight first week of diets and then grinds to a halt mostly from week 2 or 3. However, 7 years ago, I weighed 127kg and managed to lose 6.5 stones in 2.5 years low-carbing. Kept most of it off for 4 years, until last year, the year from hell! I'm hoping that Cambridge works for me and I want to lose the weight as soon as possible and willing to do whatever it takes. Many thanks

Hiya,

I'm a consultant and in the first two weeks of step one or two you can't have the bars. That's the official Cambridge advice. I would recommend that you try to stick to shakes and soups and porridges for the first couple of weeks. The other items (rice, spag Bol and bars) seems to have a slowing effect on losses early on at least. It's the quick high losses that motivate beyond the first two weeks.

A low carb diet like this is the best option if you have pcos.

I started in step two. I had a snacking habit. So I got rid of everything I couldn't eat and made sure I had frozen prawns, eggs, tinned tuna and frozen spinach and broccoli in for those times I couldn't get to the shop for fresh on my way home for my evening meal.

Step two was good to me and I lost almost 3 stone on that step.

Good luck kentishgirl and you're right everyone on here is mega supportive!
Mxxx

Tiggemma, thank you so much for the helpful response! Well done on the weight loss and becoming a consultant.

OK, I'll definitely re-work my menu. Plan is to have two boiled eggs and salad for breakfast, shake for lunch, soup for dinner and I'll swap the bars for another shake after dinner. My DH is working all nighters at the moment, so will be easier without temptation and when he's around, I'll swap my eggs for paprika chicken dinner.

Thanks again xx

Tiggemma, thank you so much for the helpful response! Well done on the weight loss and becoming a consultant. OK, I'll definitely re-work my menu. Plan is to have two boiled eggs and salad for breakfast, shake for lunch, soup for dinner and I'll swap the bars for another shake after dinner. My DH is working all nighters at the moment, so will be easier without temptation and when he's around, I'll swap my eggs for paprika chicken dinner. Thanks again xx

No worries. One warning with the eggs. Lots of eggs tend to have a binding effect on bowel movements so keep an eye on that.

Let us know how you get on!

Xxx

Thanks Tiggemma for the egg warning. How eggciting....:) I've had boiled eggs for breakfast for years on low carbing and hoping it will help ease me into the Cambridge WOE without being too much shock. I'll also be starting with the fibre, so hopefully it will help. Will let you know how I get on. Will probably start a diary when I start the diet although not sure if as a newbie I can.

Thanks again. xxx

Back