starting running

Fisherman

Silver Member
Hi
I am still on SS and with all my weight loss so far want to start to up my areobic fitness i was wondering what effect starting running well jogging will have on weight loss and how far can i push myself with out doing myself a injury ? and one got any experince at starting a running programme on SS ?

Hiya, I used to go to the gym lots when I first did CD, I found that I had tons of energy and really pushed myself but paid for it the next couple of days. While I'm there, running and cycling is easier than when I'm not on CD but it takes me so much longer to recover, I think the lack of calories probably has something to do with it. The best advice I can give is to say give it a go, start off slowly, don't push too hard and most of all listen to your body!! If it takes days to recover from a session you're pushing too hard. Drink plenty too. Good luck, let us know how you get on! x

not going to go mad just gentle jogging etc once i ahve finsihed my nights in a week or sos time

Keep it moderate if you are going to do anything cardio. If possible do more resistance exercise.

I ran on SS and had no probs, but I would be more worried about your knees, ankles etc. I'd do something lower impact until you get a couple more stone off mate

all ready have to do some running for work and fitness test with no issues on knees etc just want to start doing some to improve aim to use treadmill as well as easyier on the joints BigH

I was thinking more of the loss of too much lean mass if you push yourself too much with the cardio. Best to keep things moderate and take it steady and building it up gradually.

Of course, on a VLCD resistance is highly recommended to help preserve that lean mass. Don't want to make maintenance any harder than it can already be :)

Sorry to sound thick, but can you explain resistance exercises a bit more :confused:

Resistance exercises are basically those that involve the use of weights or resistance bands. The exercises build muscle but don't particularly burn fat. The trick with resistance is use lighter weights (heavy enough to not be too easy) but do more repetitions, this stops you building hulk muscles lol.

Right thanks, I notice my CDC sells resistance bands, so might get one soon :))

Have a look on the Internet for exercises to do with the bands, they're quite vesitile!

Hi
I am still on SS and with all my weight loss so far want to start to up my areobic fitness i was wondering what effect starting running well jogging will have on weight loss and how far can i push myself with out doing myself a injury ? and one got any experince at starting a running programme on SS ?

hi

when i did ss last time (before i got pregnant and put on lots of weight again - sigh) i ran. i ran a 5k while on ss, i also was training for the great north run and got up to 6 miles before desperately needing to up my plans. i was doing 8 miles on my long run days on the 810 plan i ran 3 times a week. i could see muscle building as i thinned and was doing very little if no weight training.

this time round i did ss and i was running but it got to the point where i just couldn't cope and felt hungry, however, this time round i was running, doing the gym twice a week and doing 3 hours of classes as well (body pump x 2 and body combat). i have lots more muscle this time round and i think it's cause i went on a higher plan a little earlier as i felt hungry a lot of the time.

for me it's not loss of muscle (which quite frankly is not a problems with running on ss as you will, from experience, build muscle) it's the hunger. when you take in 500 odd calories and expend about 500 calories you create a massive massive deficite.

just think about how you feel when you exercise though. feel funny and you must stop.

also. ss has a limited amount of carbs, you do need a certain amount of carbs for muscle regeneration. when you run the first thing your body uses for fuel is carbs, then fat. carbs are easy as they're the quickest for of fuel. fat is harder for the body to use and there is an issue with the fact that if fat is not burning as quickly as you need to your body could turn to muscle but this is not a massive issue if you keep cardio to a limited level.

i'm working on raising my metabolic rate at the moment and i'm doing 2 body pump classes a week, 2 is fine. i did ask about doing 3 but was told that 2 is fine and i don't need to be doing more than that. so do do your running and cardio but do think about weights as they're very beneficial.

cause my runs are getting longer and longer i'm also now thinking of getting some gel packs to have one before i go out and another when i'm halfway through my run to re-fuel.

i would like to loose another stone but don't want to go down the plans again, so a bit stuck at the moment.

Back