Starting SW tomorrow for the first time.... Best advice for a newbie?

Over the last 10 years I have lost 7 stone and put it back on again three times. This HAS to be the last time. I am going to weigh in tommorow night and expect to be about 18 stone. At the moment I am rather confused about Hexs and and syns, it all sounds a bit complicated but the idea is that if I have to think about it a bit more I will really get into it and focus.

Best advice for a newbie would be a big help, how much do you think I could lose in my first week?

I want to lose 6 stone before the end of the year.... Doable?

Thanks all, looking forward to getting started :eek::eek:

P.s..... Sight white lie with the 'first timer bit', I did join once before but I didn't do very well at all and gave up before getting the hang of anything!

Last edited:
I consider myself still a SW novice and am being crap at sticking to plan, but my advice is a making a food diary and really track EVERYTHING you eat. It helped me get some great losses when I started but since stopping my food diary I've lost less! Whether you do it as a list on your PC, as a food diary on here (there is a forum section) or use the SW website (that's what I did as it added up syns for me) then I highly recommend using it.

I agree writing everything down and sticking to the plan 100 percent is best for loss

Totally agree about filling a food diary in. I'd be hopeless without it - I can never understand how people do it by remembering everything in their head. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm pretty sure I'd forget things.

I am fairly new myself, but I agree with what everyone else has keep a track of everything you eat and when you first start measure your syns and healthy extras. It might seem a bit obsessive but i was surprised how little 100ml of milk and 25g of cheese were and would have estimated it was 3 times the size!

Always plan your meals ahead of time - I pack my lunch for the next day while making dinner in the evening, the times when I end up off plan are when I haven't planned what we are eating... sit down at the weekend plan every meal (including breakfast) have a supply of treats 'within your syns' in the house, I keep sugar free jelly in the fridge, muller light yog or the greek variety (1/2 syn) and a tub of baby merangues, makes a lovely 'eton mess' for just 1.5 syns. Good luck

Best advice is even though it seems complicated at first it's not really, once you've been doing it a while it becomes second nature and you'll
Optimise without thinking about it.
Do a diary to start with so you know what you've eaten and where you've gone off plan.

Also take your measurements before you start, sometimes when you've been good and not had the result you want you've lost inches instead of pounds x

Back